Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

can't get into BIOS without resetting motherboard-RESOLVED

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

I no longer can get into my Bios, I have a P8P67 ASUS PRO REV 3.1. When the "American Megatrends" logo appears on start up and processor info, usb devices connected info are displayed there used to be a message on the bottom saying press F1 to enter BIOS or setup. Its no longer is there. I have tried pressing F1, esc, del, F2 through F11 many times throughout the start up entirely but it just starts up normally and goes to desktop as if I never tried to enter the BIOS. The only way I can enter BIOS is to press the MEM reset button on the motherboard and then the message appears (after restarting) under the "American Megatrends" logo, (press F1 to enter BIOS/SETUP). After exiting BIOS and restarting the message does not appear again. I turned the logo display option to disabled in BIOS boot options but it never took BIOS/setup away before. Microsoft wireless keyboard 1000 model1356 and Microsoft wireless opticial mouse 2000 model # 1067. used Windows update to install intellipoint drivers for keyboard and mouse, not the cd that came with the mouse/keyboard.

Also my mouse pointer strafes right and stays to the right no matter what I do when I have entered BIOS in the past and can only use the keyboard in BIOS, it has been like this for this mobo and my previous mobo (first one replaced by microcenter while it was being built because of mobo death, both ASUS P8P67 mobos).

I just held the DEL button throughout start up and got in, very short window
Last edited by RAMBO on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: can't get into BIOS without resetting motherboard

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:31 pm

What kind of mouse and keyboard are you using? PS/2 or USB or a mixture of both?

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
What kind of mouse and keyboard are you using? PS/2 or USB or a mixture of both?

I am using a Microsoft Wireless 1000 keyboard and Microsoft wireless optical mouse 2000, Windows update has given me Inteli Point updates version 8.1 for both. I did not use the disk that came with the mouse and keyboard set, just installed from Windows update. They are wireless with a USB device connected to my pc.
Last edited by RAMBO on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Do you have USB keyboard and mouse support set up in the bios? Also the new mouse driven bios can tend to be buggy have you checked and seen if there is a bios update for your board? Also on the few AMI bios boards I have owned, the button press window is pretty short, you can hit pause/break to stop the bios from moving forward so you have time toi hit it again after unpausing it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:42 pm

If you've got a PS/2 keyboard sitting around, that's worth a try too.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Do you have USB keyboard and mouse support set up in the bios? Also the new mouse driven bios can tend to be buggy have you checked and seen if there is a bios update for your board? Also on the few AMI bios boards I have owned, the button press window is pretty short, you can hit pause/break to stop the bios from moving forward so you have time toi hit it again after unpausing it.

usb keyboard and mouse support in BIOS, I don't recall these options, where should it be in BIOS? What should I have enabled or how should it be set up? the keyboard is enabeled in BIOS I am positive of that, its the first thing I set in BIOS. the American Megatrends logo is set for 10 seconds, the option used to be there in this screen but not anymore-can't recall when it stopped appearing. I have version 0105 BIOS rev 3.1 for p8p67 pro, but the ASUS update utility says "no proper BIOS images on server" when I try to update using ASUS utility. Isn't hitting the MEMreset in mobo damaging to the pc components?

PS-I remember I screwed up about a few weeks ago. I made the partition of my hard drive that had windows installed on it (win 7 64 bit home premium sp 1) active from the desktop when it was set to inactive. It said "this could cause your computer to stop working" and it did after I restarted. It would just say "boot manager missing, press control alt del to restart", restarted few times same message so I hit the MEM reset on the ASUS mobo, allowed acces to BIOS, changed the boot to cd, used win 7 install cd to repair start up, took three repairs/reboots to fix it. Can't recall if this is when the problem started. Hell sorry folks-this is probably invaluable data that was needed to solve this, I JUST hit me-dam my newbeness. I just wanted to tinker and learn. Pain retains-sort of. Thank you for your time/sorry about post length.