Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Dual channel memory not showing up as dual channel, RESOLVED

Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:08 pm

I have 2x4 GB dual channel corsair 1600 memory installed, they are installed in slots 1 and 3 out of the 4 slots in my Asus p8p67 pro rev 3.1 mobo. It doesn't show up as dual channel in the load up screen. I set it to XMP 1600 instead of JEBC 1333 as it was set before. It didn't say dual channel before either. I also diabeled the start up logo option in bios to start up faster.
Last edited by RAMBO on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

arsenhazzard
Gerbil First Class

Re: Dual channel memory not showing up as dual channel, why?

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:35 pm

According to the manual, slots 2 and 4 should be used. Worth a shot.

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:10 am

Also check your mem timings and voltage in BIOS
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:34 am

arsenhazzard wrote:

This is more than likely the fix. However, I have seen non-QFL rated Ram to not show up.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:32 pm

IAmGhostDog wrote:

It says 1.5 v, thats what it is supposed to run at, can I actually change the timing? Is there supposed to be a dual channel select option in BIOS?
PS-Ghost Dog was a great movie

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:07 am

RAMBO wrote:
IAmGhostDog wrote:

can I actually change the timing? Is there supposed to be a dual channel select option in BIOS?

No dual channel select option.
But check the manufacturer's spec for your memory.
Make sure the timings are correct.
If not you can change them in BIOS.
(That solved the problem for me once.)
And as others have said. Make sure they are in the proper slots for your board.
It might be something as simple as that.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:21 pm

arsenhazzard wrote:

crap, you're right, microcenter screwed me, I specifically said make sure its dual channel.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:35 pm

What, did Microcenter install the RAM for you?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

CasbahBoy
Gerbil

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:01 pm

This happens a lot. I don't even bother guessing anymore myself, I always check the manual to be sure which two slots count as a channel pair. Sometimes a manufacturer decides on slots of the same color, sometimes slots of dissimilar colors - both either physically right next to each other or in alternating slots...
"We demand rigidly defined values of doubt and uncertainty!"

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
What, did Microcenter install the RAM for you?

I had them build the PC/bought it there as well, they did have it in the 2nd and 4th slots at first, so I didn't check like a newbie. I had to bring it back a few times and it pissed them off. They gave me a dead mobo and ram at first, then CPU cooler made noise when it ran hot for half an hour, when they replaced it with the same model (deepcool) it made the same noise, so they replaced it with an A50 corsair. Then the PSU died and they replaced the corsair 800 with an corsair 850 TX V2. I overheard the cashier talking to the person who built it (heard his name being called) and he said that "he wouldn't touch my computer". At no point was I ever rude or angry at them, shook his hand and thanked him after every visit. WTF, you put it together, how is it my fault! I paid 1400 usd, not to mention the 90 in gas driving all the way out there and back every time I had to bring it back to them (27 mile trip to and from). I did not tinker with it internally at all, I hooked it up correctly-called an IT buddy that helped me walk through EVERY step (including everyone that helped me on here) from hooking it up properly to the final windows update. The last time the builder wouldn't even bring it out himself as he had all the previous times before. I just looked and the bottom plate to my corsair 600 T is missing. Their response-you should have bought the warranty-WOW OK.

EV42TMAN
Gerbil

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Because its Asus... enough said
MCP MCDST MCSA MCTS MCITP
A+ Net+
Intel Core i7-950 Intel DX58SO Mobo 6GB Corsair XMS3 Tri-Channel BFG Geforce 260 GTX
2x 160GB Seagate HDs RAID 0 2x 500GB WD RE3 HDs RAID 0
Built 40K+ systems and still counting

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Personally, I would *never* have a place like that build a PC to spec. If you're not comfortable building your own, and don't have a local shop where you know and trust the people, you really ought to just buy something "off the rack" from a big OEM like HP.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:31 pm

EV42TMAN wrote:

I'm not saying that Asus is perfect, but I've generally had less trouble with them than other brands.

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:02 pm

EV42TMAN wrote:

They recommended everything except the case and CPU, and I am happy with the final product-just not the fact that they lied to me when I asked them about dual channel running and they said that it was running. My rant was in response to "you should have bought the warranty" and the guy saying "I wont touch his computer". I have been in service before so I know how it is when people take their day out on you, I expect better from a professional. I was told ASUS was the best mobo-from them and many others, and I have to agree it has been very easy to deal with and runs great. It wasn't just the ASUS mobo-tech comes damaged sometimes and that's the way it is. Don't know why you would just point out ASUS.

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Personally, I would *never* have a place like that build a PC to spec. If you're not comfortable building your own, and don't have a local shop where you know and trust the people, you really ought to just buy something "off the rack" from a big OEM like HP.

Perhaps, but not something you or others on here would probably do. I also want to learn this stuff, and it has been a great learning experience with everybody's help.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:05 pm

RAMBO wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Perhaps, but not something you or others on here would probably do. I also want to learn this stuff, and it has been a great learning experience with everybody's help.

Well, I never buy OEM PCs for myself or my family; I put something together from parts. But I *do* order pre-built HPs at work, since assembling systems is not my day job.

Too bad your learning experience didn't start early enough for you to build this time around...

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:53 pm

RAMBO wrote:
They recommended everything except the case and CPU, and I am happy with the final product-just not the fact that they lied to me when I asked them about dual channel running and they said that it was running. My rant was in response to "you should have bought the warranty" and the guy saying "I wont touch his computer". I have been in service before so I know how it is when people take their day out on you, I expect better from a professional. I was told ASUS was the best mobo-from them and many others, and I have to agree it has been very easy to deal with and runs great. It wasn't just the ASUS mobo-tech comes damaged sometimes and that's the way it is. Don't know why you would just point out ASUS.

wow! and which city/state was this microcenter in?

WarriorProphet
Gerbil

Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Sounds like Houston, TX...

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:48 pm

WarriorProphet wrote:
Sounds like Houston, TX...

How so? Does the Houston Microcenter have a monopoly on clueless?

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:19 pm

thegleek wrote:
RAMBO wrote:

wow! and which city/state was this microcenter in?

MN