Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Discussion of all forms of processors, from AMD to Intel to VIA.

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Postposted on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Team,

I notices recently there was alot of AMD new CPU was out on the market , As i'm currently running at AMD Phenom II X2 555 on ASUS M4A87TD/USB3

Shall i get upgrade my CPU while the existing stock of AMD3 still available , I believe my motherboard will not able to support the latest AMD3+ .

How you think ? as i 'm only using this machines for youtube/surfing/ R&D database technology /vmware.
mghong
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:50 am
Location: Malaysia

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Postposted on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 pm

I suggest you wait, but that you keep an eye on product availability.

The rumor is that AMD has stopped production of quad core Phenoms. However, I believe they have not stopped producing the X6 Phenoms - so availability of those still extends for the foreseeable future.

Beyond that, if your CPU is not showing any signs of slowing you down, you may be able to stick with it for the long run until you end up doing a mobo upgrade too.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Postposted on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:59 pm

If the current processor is doing fine for your tasks, there's really no reason to upgrade :)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 10029
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Postposted on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Money would be better spent on an SSD if you do not have one.

I seen the crucial M4 256GB somewhere the other day for $388!!
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Postposted on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:26 pm

I would willingly go back to using a single core if that meant I could get an SSD. Just get a small one and install the OS on it. What a difference.
Mothership: Thuban 1055T@3.7GHz, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, GTX470+Icy Vision Rev.2@840/3800, Vertex 2E 60GB
Supply ship: Sargas@2.8GHz, 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Macbook Air Ivy Bridge
Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:14 am
Location: Malaysia

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Postposted on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 pm

I'll continue to opt not to get an SSD for my home computer. Have one at work and it is faster, but I have absolutely no need for one at home. Now, I would like to get myself a big 2TB drive and put ESXi on it and one of these spare computers I've got lying around.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Postposted on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Virtualization tangent split to here: viewtopic.php?uid=1482&f=30&t=77579&start=0
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37857
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Postposted on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:43 pm

Unless you already own a phenom x6 I would get that vs waiting for IB-E or bullozer a/b/c/d/e... 6 real cores willl win for awhile...
WarriorProphet
Gerbil
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:27 pm

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Postposted on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:05 am

Yeah, I was actually kind of considering getting an X6 for my main rig (currently have an X4 955)...
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37857
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Postposted on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:59 am

just brew it! wrote:Yeah, I was actually kind of considering getting an X6 for my main rig (currently have an X4 955)...


Thank guy ,now I'm more confident to wait for the real X6..:)
mghong
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:50 am
Location: Malaysia

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Postposted on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:47 pm

just brew it! wrote:Yeah, I was actually kind of considering getting an X6 for my main rig (currently have an X4 955)...

955 is what I have as well and there seems to be nothing it cannot handle for now. It will easily last till my next platform upgrade (I'm still on DDR2) at which point it will either be BD or SB, and rumors haven't been very kind to BD so far.

If the OP can overclock his Q6600 to 3.0 GHz that should meet or beat the performance of the X4 955.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH


Return to Processors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests