Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

adam1378
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

BF3 beta

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:41 pm

I just got an invite to the BF3 alpha beta. I will let you fools know how it is.
Ancient 1366 chipset and 6GB of RAM oh and 6950

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: BF3 beta

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:54 pm

A couple of guys in my gaming community got their keys in the mail tonight too- I'm kind of sad I didn't, but it doesn't bother me too much. Still working on my Bad Company 2 soldier, almost to level 50 now :).

mongoosesRawesome
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:58 pm

my wife got an alpha invite tonight. she was kind enough to share :)

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:20 am

I got in as well, surprisingly. But we're technically under NDA, no?

adam1378
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:44 am

Playing a few hours it is similar to BFBC2 with gameplay but now you can laydown to fire. Graphics so far I noticed are better than BfBc2 with detail but still some glitches here and there. Amazing is the size of the boards. And destructible environments are impressive.
Ancient 1366 chipset and 6GB of RAM oh and 6950

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:22 am

Any sniper rifle sway?

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:34 am

Ttocs wrote:
I got in as well, surprisingly. But we're technically under NDA, no?

Which is i.e. like the motto of fight club.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:34 am

How do they decide who gets an invite?
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:36 am

Everything I've heard so far is something like:

1. Veteran status must be active
2. Newsletter must be active.
3. If above are true, random entry gets a mail.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:11 pm

I didn't get an email, but I went to the bf3alpha.battlefield.com page and typed in my info and everything worked fine!
Sweet.

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:12 pm

mongoosesRawesome wrote:
my wife got an alpha invite tonight. she was kind enough to share :)

Your WIFE????

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:13 pm

adam1378 wrote:
I just got an invite to the BF3 alpha beta. I will let you fools know how it is.

I hate you.

/me is jealous :smile:

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Try it yourself.
It's worked now for three of the people in my office who HAVE NOT gotten an invite.

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Didn't work for me. Oh well.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:34 am

Lo and behold what did I step in to find........everyone doing the duck dive again......./arrrrgggggg

Either they need to penalize your accuracy when you first move into prone or they just need to remove prone altogether. :evil:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:57 am

They wont remove prone, and that I think is good. But I guess we will still se a whole lot of balancing up to the comming beta, release and during the first 6 months especially. Be glad the snipers have the sun glint at least. :P

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:21 am

The sun glint is a non issue, As of right now you can remove it through your video settings. the Duck diving IS an issue. Its worse than bunny hopping!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:46 am

The "alpha" as they call it is absolutely beautiful. But something that makes me want to cry is that it brings my 4870x2 to its knees. I had to set the graphics to medium @ 1920x1200 for it to run decently. And with those settings, even though I've got my fan speed set to 50%, it will force my card to crank up to 100% fan speed about once a minute.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:05 am

tanker27 wrote:
Lo and behold what did I step in to find........everyone doing the duck dive again......./arrrrgggggg
Either they need to penalize your accuracy when you first move into prone or they just need to remove prone altogether. :evil:

The problem is that people can go prone *way* too fast. This stopped being a problem in the later BF2 patches, because the prone animation time was increased, and you could no longer jump/prone.

Having said this, despite being a complete BF2 addict, I'll say it out loud: I'm considering dropping my preorder, because from what I've seen, Dice is making Bad Company 3, not Battlefield 3. This might change as it goes into beta and other maps are revealed, but so far, it's not looking good. Or, well, it's looking good, but the gameplay leaves much to be desired.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:46 am

While BF2 was fun, no doubt about that, it also had its fair share of problems that never got fixed. And I've seen lots of people with the same sentiments as you. But DICE is still giving us what they think is Battlefield 3, and since they made em all, they have the right to the artistic vision. That said, I can't say I don't aggree somewhat, but towards the end I really felt myself getting used to the Alpha. Of course, it also depends on the crowd you are playing with, no matter the basics. Lets see how BC2 feels tonight when I'm going back to that. But there is also loads of people that have given feedback, me and a bunch of others with well thought out long long post, and the extremely juvenile ones that both support you, so Dice definitely knows what people think about it as it stands today.

Personally I wouldnt judge the real gameplay based on the alpha since that was for testing server loads and what... 60% of the game is actually missing, but I yeah. And since we really cant talk about the Alpha, I would say that the comparison works just as well between BF2/2142 and BC2 in that 2/2142 facilitated and required team work much more. The difference in flight mechanics and lack of larger mpas isnt enough to stop BC2 from being a good game. I actually stopped playing BF2 and 2142 a while after BC2 game out. It was when I got a new comp. Never got around to reinstalling those older games. BC2 is good enough and way prettier. Personally, I pretty much prefered alot of the mechanics in 2142 compared to bf2. The class and unluck system was better balanced and not as booringly slow as bf2. The Titan mode added a great combination of modes once you see past the problems it had, like the choke point camping and bugs. Same with Assault Lines. Not to mention that hit registration was vastly improved.

What I'm more affraid of is that EA is pushing DICE to try to draw the CoD people away instead of standing on its own and just do what made battlefield great in the first place. I wonder how BC2 would've been with a bit more evolved squad leader system and the Commo Rose and squad leader target mechanic instad of that context (un-)aware 3D spotting.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:49 am

thill9 wrote:
The "alpha" as they call it is absolutely beautiful. But something that makes me want to cry is that it brings my 4870x2 to its knees. I had to set the graphics to medium @ 1920x1200 for it to run decently. And with those settings, even though I've got my fan speed set to 50%, it will force my card to crank up to 100% fan speed about once a minute.
My 6970 couldnt run it properly in high on 2560x1600, so I also had to back it down to 1920x12001. But there it worked perfectly. With a bit of tweaking for the final, and new drivers, I guess I might either get better visuals, or be able to run it at 2560x1600. On the other hand, come christmas, it might be time for an upgrade to 7970, which should run it beautifully since the 6970 worked so well. Either 7970 or SLI. But considering I have the Asus Reference card and the only 6970 available from Asus nowdays is their custom cooler, it's probably 7970 way before crossfire.

But yeah, you have to raise the fan speed becase the Alpha cooks the card good otherwise.

marvelous
Gerbil

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:53 am

Does BF3 have jets?

Will it have jets?
E6300 b2 @ 3.5ghz on P5B vanilla
2 gigs Micron D9
8600gts

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:17 pm

marvelous wrote:
Does BF3 have jets?
Not yet.

marvelous wrote:
Will it have jets?
EA has been mum on the subject. They mentioned jets (and a 2-second bit in a video), but not in the same sentence as multiplayer. Heli and multiplayer have been mentioned together, but there's no word on how they will behave.

Those are what got me suspicious.

Aphasia, I pretty much agree with most of your points. The fact is that as things stand right now (and this is subject to change as the beta rolls around), there are two components missing or otherwise incorrect:

a) The gameplay is stupidly fast-paced, with lots of running-and-gunning and "combo moves", borderline Unreal Tournament from what I've seen. That's never been the Battlefield way. This seems to be an attention grab for the CoD crowd. But CoD is what it is, and BF is what it is. Please don't mix them up.
b) No air combat. This will remove half or more of the strategic elements that have been the hallmark of Battlefield. Airfields and helipads are part of the key areas on every map, and the whole rock-paper-scissors mechanic really comes into its own, with teamwork being more valued and necessary than ever.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:26 pm

In all honesty Dice has implemented some things that were done in the Project Reality mod for BF2. And with that they will gain a huge following as there are a lot of die hard PR players. I dont for think they want to go for the CoD crowd, leave that to the kiddies (although they probably wouldnt mind the amount of sales) .

If they work out the gameplay, realism, and tactics it will all fall into place. My vent about prone is just that, a vent. I am sure there will be a penalty as I am not the only one who complains.

After I settling on some Nvidia beta drivers the Alpha was requiring my 560TI hummed along at 1920 x 1080 on high. Which is what I am content with playing any game at.

As for the NDA, we can talk about it. Its the Screenshots and videos that are a no no.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:33 pm

morphine wrote:
a) The gameplay is stupidly fast-paced, with lots of running-and-gunning and "combo moves", borderline Unreal Tournament from what I've seen. That's never been the Battlefield way. This seems to be an attention grab for the CoD crowd. But CoD is what it is, and BF is what it is. Please don't mix them up.
b) No air combat. This will remove half or more of the strategic elements that have been the hallmark of Battlefield. Airfields and helipads are part of the key areas on every map, and the whole rock-paper-scissors mechanic really comes into its own, with teamwork being more valued and necessary than ever.

If played right and with good command and control a game should be fast. While PR had large, HUGE, maps a squad that had good teamwork would be able to take down a target in minutes. (Which closely resembles what the US military trains to do.)

I also have to agree that Airfields and helo-pads play an important role in these types of games. they are game changers.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:57 pm

The thoughts on no jets in multiplayer is a new wrinkle of worry to add to my over anticipation. On the one hand, I think "heck, you could be right, and that would stink." On the other, I think "They're only showing you parts of the game, there's so much we wont know until later".

In other words, I'd like to see jets and airfields (and as long as I'm wishing can we get a semi-proper airstrip ala BF42, instead of a hanger with a runway sticking out of it?).

I'd also love to see artillery, UAV, satelite/coms etc for conquest maps a la BF2. I know it's not likely to happen, but damn talking about adding a strategic element to game play. Now you have infrastructure to worry about. You have a reason to patrol bases behind the front line (dont go in the uncap, OMGWTFBBQ..er :D), and more importantly, it would mean that 4 people taking their time to be quiet and mostly undetected have a chance to make a huge impact like they did in BF2 :D

Oh, and while I'm wishing for things that probably won't appear in BF3, can we have boats back? Big boats and little boats. There's all this hype about the Back to Karkland Pack--but Gulf of Oman wont be the same without the boats. Let me tell you, some of the most fun I had in Bf2 was getting in a zodiac and boarding the Marine Assault Carrier undetected. Slaughter the "slow to get off the ship" destroy the AA, sabotage/destroy the F35s and the cobra. then try to survive as long as possible. BLAM! Talk about pulling your spec-ops mission. :D

I know you guys are slumming it out in Paris, but please tell me I'm wrong. Tell me there are boats :D
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:01 pm

gbcrush wrote:
On the other, I think "They're only showing you parts of the game, there's so much we wont know until later".

The positivist in me hopes this is what's happening, and that all the missing elements will pop up in due time. The pessimist in me reminds me that this is EA/DICE we're talking about.

As for the rest of your post, amusing how you mentioned pretty much all the "little" things that were in BF2 but also haven't been implemented or shown yet.

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:14 pm

morphine wrote:
As for the rest of your post, amusing how you mentioned pretty much all the "little" things that were in BF2 but also haven't been implemented or shown yet.

Yeah. I'm quite aware that's what I did. I figured as long as we were going with the tone of worry or "I would like X" I'd mention those things.

Truth be told, I've been having a blast with BC2 for what, a year + now? If they make a better BC2, I can be quite satisfied playing that, so it's not like I'm going to boycott and seek to destroy their firstborn, etc. etc.

But yeah, damn if I'm not hungry for a bigger battlefield, with more options (do I walk, or do I jeep, do I take the base or blind the enemy...OMFG I NEED AIRSUPPORT NOW! :D).

Heh. You know what I really miss? Screw 3D spotting and screw commo-rose. I want the ability to point to the center of a land-locked environment and shout "Enemy Submarine Spotted!" and have the icon appear on everyone's map. :D
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:19 pm

morphine wrote:
marvelous wrote:
Does BF3 have jets?
Not yet.
Oh yes, now it does ;)

Take a look in the Battlefield 3 thread

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:23 pm

According to the internet, if I preorder the game now, I get a bunch of expansions and also "early access to the open beta" in september. Should I wait until September to preorder it, or will this offer be retracted some time between now and then? It also sounds like if I don't pre-order at all I could wait until a little be after september when the open beta becomes "open"? Hmm. Decisions.