Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

diamond cooling properties

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:09 am

I watched a NG show the other day called super diamonds.Most of you know about the hope diamond ,a blue diamond whats super about it is that like all diamonds it conducts heat better then anything,but along with that the hope diamond conducts electricity and it you hold a uv light over it,it will glow a blood red.Pretty kewl.
Anyways there was a demonstration using a man made 5 inch disk of diamond and one of pure copper,they set them both upright on a block of ice and i was amazed the whole diamond disk turned light blue on a flir camera tha same color the ice was showing,and it did it very fast over 5 times faster then the copper,and the copper wasnt as uniform in color.
Anyway do thy make a diamond based thermal paste made from industrial diamond dust mabey,not crushed up purdy diamonds:)
If anyone has found or tried a such paste feedback would be appreciated.
BTW according to the show Diamonds are the future of semiconductors,being that they are 5 times better then silicone,imagine a arm chip running at 5ghz and not needing any cooling.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Mr.Lif
Gerbil

Re: diamond cooling properties

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:20 am

Ah yes. Diamond is indeed the best naturally occuring thermal conductor. Or at least as far as I know.
I saw a youtube video of some guy making thermal paste out of industrial diamond powder and mixing it with (what is it, silicon?) paste in an altoid's tin as the dust is invasive and can screw up your lungs pretty bad, and test it in relation to good old AS5 and several others. It showed a noticeable improvement.

While searching for said video after reading your post here I found that someone has gone one step further and created a thermal paste one can purchase. Here. I'm tempted to purchase some to see how well it goes myself.

As for other forms of diamond cooling (diamond heatsink maybe? A geek's best friend :lol: ) may be a little out of the question as of now. We can only hope.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:10 am

Well, we've had silver paste for years now; I guess it was just a matter of time before someone tried doing this. Seems fairly reasonable from a price standpoint too.

:lol: at them specifying the sizes of the packages based on the number of carats of diamond powder they contain...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:59 am

I had a Materials Science professor that said on the first day of class: "We won't ever ask you what the best material for a particular application is. The answer is almost always diamond. The real question is what material is best for how much it costs."
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 am

just brew it! wrote:
Seems fairly reasonable from a price standpoint too.

OH! I'm so purchasing one of those!

just brew it! wrote:
:lol: at them specifying the sizes of the packages based on the number of carats of diamond powder they contain...

LOL yeah... I'll go with the 7 carat one for now... Doubt I'll need 24 carats for $20!

PainIs4ThaWeak1
Gerbil

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Been using IC Diamond for about a year now. Haven't tested anything other than Artic Silver, and some OCZ stuff against it.

But in my opinion, it IS a noticable improvement over those mentioned.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:45 pm

thegleek wrote:
LOL yeah... I'll go with the 7 carat one for now... Doubt I'll need 24 carats for $20!
For yourself, no. But the more carats the better when your girlfriend is showing her friends the heatsink you bought her...

continuum
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:30 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
The real question is what material is best for how much it costs."
LOL... indeed, indeed. I may have heard something similar the first day of one of my materials science classes...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:23 pm

At the end of the day, a diamond is merely a specialized block of carbon, and it turns out that carbon nanotubes can be used for thermal transfer in ways that are similarly efficient and potentially more practical. One possibility involves growing a forest right on the surface of an IC substrate, eliminating the microscopic, irregular gaps that can prevent localized hotspots from cooling efficiently. However, that was four years ago, don't know what became of it.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:05 am

Mr.Lif wrote:
Ah yes. Diamond is indeed the best naturally occuring thermal conductor. Or at least as far as I know.
I saw a youtube video of some guy making thermal paste out of industrial diamond powder and mixing it with (what is it, silicon?) paste in an altoid's tin as the dust is invasive and can screw up your lungs pretty bad, and test it in relation to good old AS5 and several others. It showed a noticeable improvement.

While searching for said video after reading your post here I found that someone has gone one step further and created a thermal paste one can purchase. Here. I'm tempted to purchase some to see how well it goes myself.

As for other forms of diamond cooling (diamond heatsink maybe? A geek's best friend :lol: ) may be a little out of the question as of now. We can only hope.

Thanks for the link Lif,imm going to get some for when i get AM coolers for my vid cards,and reseat the cpu cooler.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system