Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Jakubgt
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

New computer chair

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:17 am

Not quite sure if this is in the right section, but I hope the gerbil gods will forgive me.

Anyways, I'm currently in the market for a new computer chair. The one I am currently using is causing me some back pains. I normally sit in front of a computer about 8+ hours 5 days a week. I'm looking for something comfortable and has enough support on my back not to cause any pains/problems. I'm willing to spend between $100-$350 for a new chair.

Pictures:
Boxing was a bit mediocre

First glance is a :o, the materials are of high quality

Arm rests are actually made of metal and feel pretty sturdy

Old $30 office max chair

Arm rest ripped off and cut my arm pretty bad

Replacement chair

Looks great!

Edit: Added pictures. Thanks again everyone! I'll be buying a second one.
Last edited by Jakubgt on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hello world.

Jakubgt
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: New computer chair

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:24 am

Hello world.

ucisilentbob
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:43 am

I recommend you wander down to your Local Office Depot/OfficeMax and sit in the chairs. You never know how well it will feel until you actually sit in them. Be sure you actually sit in them for more than just a few seconds. Then go from there.
Bastage:
Ci7 3930K @ 4.56Ghz//16GB//MSI X79A-GD65//Noctua NH-D14 se2011//180GB Intel SSD 520
XFX 5850 1GB @775/1200 //X-Fi Titanium HD//Dell U2410(A01)+2001FP//OCZ ZX 850W

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:38 am

I don't have any specific chair recommendations (I'm looking to invest in one myself), but I have some recommendations as to what to look for in a chair based on personal experience:

• Adjustable arm rests: I've found adjustable armrests to be absolutely essential in avoiding shoulder and neck fatigue, particularly for programmers. Armrests should be adjustable in height and width and should be adjusted to allow your arms to be close to 90 degree angle with the keyboard when typing.
  • Adjustable seat depth: This is another big ergonomic thing. You don't want the back of your legs and knees to be flush with the edge of the chair when sitting in your preferred position as the majority of your blood circulation runs through that area. This is something those $150 Executive Premium Leather Awesome chairs at fail at because the chair body is one unit.
  • Mesh/fabric material: Those leather executive chairs at the local office store might look fancy, but they're hot to sit in and don't offer any benefits. Getting a chair with a mesh back helps your back breathe and keeps you cool. Ideally, your seat should also be mesh, but personal preference factors in a lot more with the seat and chairs that do mesh seats properly tend to be much higher end.
  • Independent tilting: A lot of the chairs you see at office supply stores have the chair as one connected unit, which means when you lean back, your legs go up with you. You generally want to be able to lean independently of your lower body, but this might not be as important to you.
  • Lumbar support: Pretty self-explanatory and very much based on the individual. You'll need to find what works for you.
To see what a higher-end office chair looks like, check out the Herman Miller Aeron chairs. For your price range, I would probably consider this Ergo Mesh High-back Executive Chair a minimum starting point.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:58 am

I agree with Uci. I've been in a similar experience and even after looking around I couldn't find one I liked. One of the things I figured out when shopping for a chair is to stay away from leather!!! Leather causes your ass and lower back to sweat as it doesn't breathe at all.

Chairs are all over the place. Everyone and their mom is making them so it's really hard to gauge what ones are actually good. I found and bought two, but I can't find the model I bought years ago. They were made by Sealy had a waterfall front, a double recline so it slides out the chair as the back goes back (not one piece, adjustable task arms, and a high back. A high back is important to so you can lay back into it.

I'd suggest looking around, the one I bought cost close to $250, which is what you should expect to pay for a good chair. Good chairs also last a really long time.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:36 am

Any money spent on a good chair, will be well spent. Consdering all the money one might spend on hardware, there are very few that spend enough on a really good chair that will survive 5 or even 10 computers. And your back and body will certainly thank you for it.

Zoomastigophora wrote:
I don't have any specific chair recommendations (I'm looking to invest in one myself), but I have some recommendations as to what to look for in a chair based on personal experience:

• Adjustable arm rests: I've found adjustable armrests to be absolutely essential in avoiding shoulder and neck fatigue, particularly for programmers. Armrests should be adjustable in height and width and should be adjusted to allow your arms to be close to 90 degree angle with the keyboard when typing.
  • Adjustable seat depth: This is another big ergonomic thing. You don't want the back of your legs and knees to be flush with the edge of the chair when sitting in your preferred position as the majority of your blood circulation runs through that area. This is something those $150 Executive Premium Leather Awesome chairs at fail at because the chair body is one unit.
  • Mesh/fabric material: Those leather executive chairs at the local office store might look fancy, but they're hot to sit in and don't offer any benefits. Getting a chair with a mesh back helps your back breathe and keeps you cool. Ideally, your seat should also be mesh, but personal preference factors in a lot more with the seat and chairs that do mesh seats properly tend to be much higher end.
  • Independent tilting: A lot of the chairs you see at office supply stores have the chair as one connected unit, which means when you lean back, your legs go up with you. You generally want to be able to lean independently of your lower body, but this might not be as important to you.
  • Lumbar support: Pretty self-explanatory and very much based on the individual. You'll need to find what works for you.
To see what a higher-end office chair looks like, check out the Herman Miller Aeron chairs. For your price range, I would probably consider this Ergo Mesh High-back Executive Chair a minimum starting point.

What can i say, spot on for everything. I got myself a chair over 10 years ago with all of the above except mesh. Mesh wasnt available at the time.

Had to get another seat pan unit for it last years since the first one was finished and the padding deformed after probably 15000 hours, but since it was a true $1000 office thing, of course they had spares ready for order. The only thing I can say is that while leather is hot to sit on in the summer, it holds up incredibly well and is easy to clean. After 10 years using the chair for probably 4+ hours every day, the leather still looks as new. Between 2000 and 2005 I had the same model of chair at work, which mean I probably spent some 12-16 hours in one of those. If it holds up for that, while still being ergonomic and not giving you any pains, if thats not a good chair, then I dont know what is. The only thing that have me thinking of ever switching out this one is to get a mesh chair of something akin in quality, which problably means Herman Miller Aeron or its likes, but those are going for $1500 around here so...

I have one of these, but all leather, not mixed leather / cloth as in the photo.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:34 am

Zoowatchamacallit put all the bullets in the right points.

I'll just stress two, coming from someone with a mild scoliosis (spine deviation):

- Lower back support is one of, if not the most important aspect in a chair. No lower back support = bad bad bad.
- Adjustable height. Also a sine-qua-non. High chair w/ relation to desk = good.
- Reiteration of "sit on them and test the fit". That's how I ended up splurging a few extra euros for my current chair, and every single cent was money well spent.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:51 pm

When our office moved in April, they had to build out the new location from scratch and that included an office-wide vote on what chairs to purchase. They brought in about six different demo units and a voting box, and the Aeron won by a landslide. It's hard to see why an office chair would be worth $800+ until you sit in one all day and realize that it actually works. The mesh is comfortable and breathes just the correct amount, and the chair is functionally simple while still being able to adjust in all the right places.

That's higher than the price range you specified, but for 8+ hours per day you might consider making the investment. A good chair should last a very long time if it's not abused, and you might be able to get a decent buy on a used model.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:48 pm

ludi wrote:
When our office moved in April, they had to build out the new location from scratch and that included an office-wide vote on what chairs to purchase. They brought in about six different demo units and a voting box, and the Aeron won by a landslide. It's hard to see why an office chair would be worth $800+ until you sit in one all day and realize that it actually works. The mesh is comfortable and breathes just the correct amount, and the chair is functionally simple while still being able to adjust in all the right places.

That's higher than the price range you specified, but for 8+ hours per day you might consider making the investment. A good chair should last a very long time if it's not abused, and you might be able to get a decent buy on a used model.

A second vote for the Aeron. My girlfriend splurged on one as a gift last year after her parents bought her a Herman Miller Embody (even more $$$ than the Aeron, as crazy as that sounds). I actually like the Aeron better. Every once in a while you come across one on Craigslist or Ebay or the like that are either off lease or slightly used, that might fall within your budget. As a bonus, the mesh on the Aeron seems to be pretty durable and easier to "sanitize" and does not come with any of the odors, etc, that might lurk in other used office chairs. If you find one of the fully loaded ones (I find the adjustable arms very useful and the lower back support -newer design anyway - is nice to have too) in good shape within your budget, then highly recommended.

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:38 pm

A third vote for the Aeron. I got lucky, my company bought at least hundreds of them and we were allowed to purchase them for ourselves at the company's discounted price, and I splurged since the deal was great. Rock solid, very comfortable, highly adjustable, and high quality...which to me makes it an investment, not a cost, and well worth the money.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:48 pm

I've never used the Aeron, but my last job had the Mirra chair for everyone and they were great to sit in for a day's work. http://hermanmiller.com/Products/Mirra-Chairs
Not quite as sexy as the Aeron or as crazy as the embody, but very comfortable and adjustable. Herman Miller chairs are in general very good and very expensive. It could well last you the rest of your working life if treated right, which is more than I can say for the $100 Staples special I have at home.
i7-8086K | Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI | 32GB DDR4-2400 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 512GB 960 Pro | 27" Dell 2560x1440 Gsync | Fractal R6 | Seasonic Focus Plus 850W | Win10 Pro x64.

Jakubgt
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Zoomastigophora wrote:

Based on this post I have made up my mind. I have ordered a Lorell executive mesh chair for one heck of a deal. At this moment, I cannot justify spending over $600 on a chair. I'll be sure to keep an eye out on craigslist sometime in the near future for an Aeron chair.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q5XTE8
Hello world.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Jakubgt wrote:
Based on this post I have made up my mind. I have ordered a Lorell executive mesh chair for one heck of a deal. At this moment, I cannot justify spending over $600 on a chair. I'll be sure to keep an eye out on craigslist sometime in the near future for an Aeron chair.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q5XTE8

Looks good, let us know how it is :)

Jakubgt
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Amazon estimated it should arrive sometime tomorrow. I'll take a few pics for you guys.
Hello world.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:27 pm

That looks a lot like mine, only mine has a cloth cushion back of almost exactly the same design. I'm honestly not too fond of task arms as I can't put my arms up and recline, but it's a trade off...

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:55 pm

My lovely SO got me this for Christmas (Herman Miller Aeron -Executive model)

They're kinda expensive --she bought it one week old on Craigslist from a company employee and saved a couple hundred.
Last edited by LoneWolf15 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

Jakubgt
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks for all the help guys, this chair is great incredible. I can lean back all the way as if it were a lazyboy recliner (very comfortable!!). Sitting upright provides enough lumbar support for my back not to cause any pains. Well worth the the $170.
Hello world.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Jakubgt wrote:
I can lean back all the way as if it were a lazyboy recliner (very comfortable!!).

If I had a chair like that, I'd spend way too much time napping at my desk. :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:44 pm

I lol'ed at the pic of the old chair with the arm rail gone, good stuff
GO CARDINALS!

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:52 am

This thread's been very usefeul to me as well (and all the previous ones telling me to stop buying $110 chairs - I've gone through three in the last few years) - I still can't afford an Aeron but I'm going to give a Herman Miller Sayl a shot. I'll post my thoughts when it gets here some time next week.

Edit: Hey this is my 12th post
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Love the crazy-expensive Aeron's... But alas nabbed an UGLY Steelcase 443 Criterion via craigslist for $100 (well well worth it):

arsenhazzard
Gerbil First Class

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Don't just accept the Aeron as the pinnacle of seating technology, go out and actually try several ergo chairs. Atwood covered this topic a few years back and has some good recommendations.

FWIW, I had an Aeron at work and I wasn't a huge fan. I think the Mirra and Steelcase Leap are better chairs all around. You should be able to find a v1 Leap for 200-300 on Craigslist.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:39 pm

arsenhazzard wrote:
I think the Mirra and Steelcase Leap are better chairs all around. You should be able to find a v1 Leap for 200-300 on Craigslist.

OMFG! Now I'm in love with the Steelcase Leap! I want one! But I have to wait until my current Steelcase Criterion chair falls apart (another 10-20 years?) since they are built like TANKS...

And I could only dream of my office/cubicle area looking like this:

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:43 pm

arsenhazzard wrote:
Don't just accept the Aeron as the pinnacle of seating technology, go out and actually try several ergo chairs. Atwood covered this topic a few years back and has some good recommendations.

FWIW, I had an Aeron at work and I wasn't a huge fan. I think the Mirra and Steelcase Leap are better chairs all around. You should be able to find a v1 Leap for 200-300 on Craigslist.

To each their own. In my case, the fact that the Aeron comes in three sizes (being 6'4", I need a larger chair) was a big deal for me. It's very breathable, helps my posture a lot, and that helps my back. Of course, I do have the latest (higher-end) back support option.

I wish the angle-adjustment on the armests were a little stiffer, but in every other way, I like the chair. I brought it to work, and keep it in my office there; I did put a small brass nameplate in a spot that's not very visible, should it wander off, though since I have a private office, that's not very likely.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:17 pm

thegleek wrote:
OMFG! Now I'm in love with the Steelcase Leap! I want one! But I have to wait until my current Steelcase Criterion chair falls apart (another 10-20 years?) since they are built like TANKS...

I am still using the Steelcase desk I bought second-hand 20+ years ago, when Siemens relocated one of their facilities in the Chicago area and sold off a bunch of old office furniture (so it is even older than that, maybe even older than a significant percentage of TR forum members). It still has a Siemens Gammasonics property tag on it... it was stuck on there *really* good, and I didn't care enough to expend a lot of effort attempting to remove it.

thegleek wrote:

No real office looks like that! (And even if it did, it brings to mind the old joke about "If a cluttered office is a sign of a cluttered mind, what's an empty office a sign of?" :D)

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:46 pm

just brew it! wrote:
No real office looks like that! (And even if it did, it brings to mind the old joke about "If a cluttered office is a sign of a cluttered mind, what's an empty office a sign of?" :D)

Haha i know i know! Here's a rare "real" photo of the innards of my cubicle. (I have an office, but I prefer not to occupy it):

Nothing special I know... And most of the "mess" is off-camera! 8)

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:16 am

just brew it! wrote:

My home office looks like an episode of "Hoarders" for geeks. At least I know it needs work --I'm trying to clean it half an hour at a time, some day I'll be done.

Some day.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:22 am

LoneWolf15 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

My home office looks like an episode of "Hoarders" for geeks. At least I know it needs work --I'm trying to clean it half an hour at a time, some day I'll be done.

Some day.

My wife claims I *am* effectively an episode of "Hoarders" for geeks. She may have a point. :lol:

Edit: And here's the evidence (note the date on that thread; if anything it is worse now than it was then).

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:31 am

thegleek wrote:
arsenhazzard wrote:
I think the Mirra and Steelcase Leap are better chairs all around. You should be able to find a v1 Leap for 200-300 on Craigslist.

Came back from vacation yesterday to find a brand new Steelcase Leap sitting in my cube just like that picture - well the chair at least, the rest of the cube is a different matter. Still getting it adjusted just right, but seems comfy so far.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
LoneWolf15 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Some day.

My wife claims I *am* effectively an episode of "Hoarders" for geeks. She may have a point. :lol:

Edit: And here's the evidence (note the date on that thread; if anything it is worse now than it was then).

Hey, at least you have nice, stacked boxes. Unless there's more there than in the picture. ;)

There's a pile of Maximum PC in one corner here (probably 2006-2008 editions. An octopus of split loom from cleaning up cabling in my last case in another. Empty boxes from parts long gone that I saved in case I had to RMA. The guts of 3-4 proprietary OEM cases that really need to be tossed, as soon as I can find an appropriate way to do so...along with hard drives in the 2GB-10GB range, and ancient optical drives.

There are some plastic sets of drawers to hold my unbelievably old CPU collection, and some other things, but I really need to free up some floor space. I probably need to put out a "take it all free" box on Craigslist, with the proviso that all has to be taken, it can't be picked through.