Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

MethylONE
Gerbil XP

Re: Battlefield 3

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:21 am

Looks outstanding. I'd like to see some of the aircraft trailers.

Will this be limited to 64 players? Seems we should be passed that by now.
License to kill gophers.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:30 am

Oh man I am sooo fracking excited for this game.......I really hope Project Reality gets upgraded to BF3 too. With all its clunkiness of a UI and just trying to navigate getting into a multiplayer game the gameplay is nothing short of out-fracking-standing from the BF series.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:38 am

OMG, I just watched the Thunder Run vid and I think I may have died........I havent felt this amped up since my last time in a real M1A2!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:28 am

MethylONE wrote:

You should pay attention to the CPU usage of Bad Company 2 with 30-32 players wreaking havok on a map :). 64 actually seems out of reach.

On my Server below (previously my workstation), I saw my 3.4GHz quad core regularly pegged at 100% usage during BC2 online play. That's the primary reason I upgraded to Sandy Bridge and began overclocking past 4.5GHz.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:56 am

Airmantharp wrote:
With enough juice my 2500k runs happy at 5.0GHz... and that's with reduced fan profiles across the board. Think you need some bigger screws :).
Thats my just because i can overclock. A.k.a. not really trying. voltage at stock, cpu air cooler at lowered speed, etc. Since I dont have need for more, I havent really tried going for more. The coolermaster v8 keeps the 2600k below 50C at stock speeds. At 4.2GHz with 8 instances of prime95 cpu torture test, it gets up to somewhere along 65 if I dont raise the fan speed. So while still trying to keep the noise down I'll keep it at leasuirly 4.2 unless I go watercooler. The 6970 on the other hand, is quite loud. So a 7970 with a nicer cooler might be a worthwhile upgrade when bf3 comes out that might make it run nicely on 2560x1600 without too much eye candy turned off.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:59 am

MethylONE wrote:

I hope the livestream thats on tonight will cover some flight mechanics...
http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlef ... today.aspx

With 64 players the question is probably how much data and stuff that needs to be turned around to all the clients. But with open areas where you can snipe right across the map, you need every scrap of data for everybody. That adds up to alot methings.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:05 am

You can do the number of players easily; the issue is the havok, specifically the overhead that destruction imposes in online games. When every bullet and explosion results in a map deformation overhead both from a bandwidth perspective and client CPU perspective would seem to multiply exponentially.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Live Stream from E3 is online.
http://www.ustream.tv/battlefield3

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:32 pm

SO excited. A game developed from the ground up to take full advantage of the latest in PC gaming hardware? A game that is actually MEANT to be played on PC? Yes please. BF2 has always been my #1, and I wasn't really fond of any BF games that have come out since. BC2 was alright in terms of multiplayer, but the lack of prone always bothered the living hell out of me. I'm really happy to see its return in BF3, and no less what it does for your accuracy. When he went prone with that M249 in the trailer, the thing barely moved. BC single player in both games left a lot to be desired IMO, but the single player in BF3 looks to be just as epic and exciting as MW games, without having a completely ridiculous story line. The graphics... oh gawd the graphics. I've never seen such a beautiful game. The lighting effects are brilliant, as are the textures, animations, and... well, everything. I also really like how they weren't lazy with the scopes. They actually have a reflection, and it looks like it shows exactly what it would in real life. Rear view mirror much? In COD Black Ops, the reflections just showed the map you were on sans any buildings or players or objects. I HATE that. Explosions spew out more smoke than I do every Saturday night. Debris and particles are very realistic as well. Character motions and animations are extremely smooth. Looks like the way you move across the terrain is impeccable. JETS!!! JETS JETS JETS JETS!!!!! I had loads of fun flying around in jets in BF2 and I can't WAIT to do it again in BF3. The remade maps from BF2 look absolutely perfect. Karkand, how I've longed for thee. Weapon choices look great as well. I'm curious to see how the SR-25 performs in this game. I've played games where it's a joy to use (Rainbow Six Vegas 2) and I've played games where it's horribly under powered and inaccurate (like it probably is in real life to be honest). I hope they still have the classic rifles like the M24 and M95, and perhaps even the L96A1 from BF2 (my absolute favorite weapon ever, in any game. CS AWP FTW). Obviously, I'm a sniper. I also wouldn't mind seeing some version of the L85, G36, and/or FAMAS. Do away with the awkward XM8, please. We all know that nobody really uses it. Apparently, there will be some sort of theater for those of us who like to record our "sick nasty" kills and show them off to our fellow nerds. Oh, another little trick they added to gameplay: if you didn't notice in the trailer (and maybe it's already come up in this thread, I don't have time to read all the replies), when he was looking down from the catwalk and shooting at the enemies below him, his character actually LEANED OVER THE RAILING to get a better shot. That is amazing. I've always wanted a game to have such a feature but I've never played one that did. IIRC from one of the interviews with the developers, there will be a rail system for the weapons, and whatever can actually fit on the rails is what you can have on your gun. No more limitations to a single attachment. Don't quote me on that, though. The LMG class is also going to have a feature that allows him to stop the other team from being able to heal each other/give each other ammo/whatnot. I could go on and on about features that have been confirmed and others that I can only speculate on. All in all, I have the highest of expectations for this game, and if they are met, this WILL be the most beautiful, fun, realistic... FPS game to ever be released. Can't say much for innovative and unique since it IS the beaten old horse of modern warfare, but maybe it will be those things too. One more thing, maybe, just MAYBE, they will remake 2142 based on this game. Call it 2143. That would bring me joy beyond comprehension. Okay, I'm done.
"Here we stand at the threshold of paradise, stealing a new world. I never would have thought our place in history would come to this, but we are infinite. We are one."
-Spencer Sotelo

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:21 pm

You were so excited you forgot about paragraphs.

I am as excited as well though. Been picking up my Bad Company 2 playing time in anticipation.

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Haha yeah. I was kinda rushing too because I had to leave. It looks like it's twice as long on my phone 0.o
"Here we stand at the threshold of paradise, stealing a new world. I never would have thought our place in history would come to this, but we are infinite. We are one."
-Spencer Sotelo

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:44 am

I don't really like MP shooters, and I know that BF3 has a SP campaign, but I'm still not sure it's a game I'll buy.....that said, I dled a 1.2gig 1080p vid and it's realism is pretty epic.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what the HW demands are, and also how sales are divied up across the platforms.
If the next gen of consoles could look this good I'd be happy from that POV, but it's debatable whether the next gen games are going to increase difficulty levels.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Time for a new post in this thread, oh, and before you watch, go to your wardrobe and get an extra pair of shorts...

Then I will just say what I said in the thread at Ars... I just want the Beta to contain preferably some of what we saw in the trailer. I dont care what people say. I loved BC2 greatly, even above bf2, and if bf3 is bc2 + air + larger maps + more teamplay, i basically gonna eat, live and crap bf3 until sometime next summer. And yes I played the Alpha and know what that entailed.

Caspian Border Gameplay from the the Gamescom 2011 talks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:48 am

As morphine pointed out in the other thread, Commo rose is confirmed... and when I looked for it I found the interview with Karl Magnus Troedsson here were he says its thanks to massive feedback from the community. Yay for alpha and community pressure. He also talks abit about the jets and squad system.

Interview with Karl Magnus Troedsson
http://www.gaminglives.com/2011/08/16/e ... lefield-3/

Commo Rose Confirmed after the massive Feedback. @ 8:25min in the interview.
4 player squads
Spawn on everyone in squad
Squadleader can give orders
bonuses for wiping out full squads

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:02 pm

I like the squad system, at least as implemented in BC and BC2 (didn't play any of the Battlefields 'fore that). I still remember the first time I got the most points in a round without killing a single enemy; I was healing and reviving and repairing like crazy.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:54 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
I like the squad system, at least as implemented in BC and BC2 (didn't play any of the Battlefields 'fore that). I still remember the first time I got the most points in a round without killing a single enemy; I was healing and reviving and repairing like crazy.
I'm primarily a support player, and you just summed up how I get 99% of my points.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Kevlar
Gerbil

Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:44 am

This game isnt a true sequel to BF2 from the footage so far shown. Looks more like BC2 nonsense

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:20 am

So what you are saying is that graphics define a game, and not the actual content of the game.

If by being a sequel to BF2 is having bad outdated graphics that doesnt update, then good riddance to BF2.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Kevlar wrote:
This game isnt a true sequel to BF2 from the footage so far shown. Looks more like BC2 nonsense

PC Gamer wrote:
There is no Battlefield canon. BF1942’s World War II doesn’t shape the sci-fi tundra battles of BF2142, and buying XP boosters as a cartoon Nazi has no bearing on Bad Company 2’s royal rumbles. The developers, DICE, go where they want, and after years of circle-strafing around the subject, it’s time for Battlefield 3.
Well...that sums that up.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:11 pm

So in short... Battlefield 3 is what Dice says it is... as it should be.

I'm just glad they do listen to the community while doing it.

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:07 pm

mafropetee wrote:
Weapon choices look great as well. I'm curious to see how the SR-25 performs in this game. I've played games where it's a joy to use (Rainbow Six Vegas 2) and I've played games where it's horribly under powered and inaccurate (like it probably is in real life to be honest). I hope they still have the classic rifles like the M24 and M95, and perhaps even the L96A1 from BF2 (my absolute favorite weapon ever, in any game. CS AWP FTW). Obviously, I'm a sniper. I also wouldn't mind seeing some version of the L85, G36, and/or FAMAS. Do away with the awkward XM8, please. We all know that nobody really uses it. Apparently, there will be some sort of theater for those of us who like to record our "sick nasty" kills and show them off to our fellow nerds. Oh, another little trick they added to gameplay: if you didn't notice in the trailer (and maybe it's already come up in this thread, I don't have time to read all the replies), when he was looking down from the catwalk and shooting at the enemies below him, his character actually LEANED OVER THE RAILING to get a better shot. That is amazing. I've always wanted a game to have such a feature but I've never played one that did. IIRC from one of the interviews with the developers, there will be a rail system for the weapons, and whatever can actually fit on the rails is what you can have on your gun. No more limitations to a single attachment. Don't quote me on that, though. The LMG class is also going to have a feature that allows him to stop the other team from being able to heal each other/give each other ammo/whatnot. I could go on and on about features that have been confirmed and others that I can only speculate on. All in all, I have the highest of expectations for this game, and if they are met, this WILL be the most beautiful, fun, realistic... FPS game to ever be released. Can't say much for innovative and unique since it IS the beaten old horse of modern warfare, but maybe it will be those things too. One more thing, maybe, just MAYBE, they will remake 2142 based on this game. Call it 2143. That would bring me joy beyond comprehension. Okay, I'm done.

The MP5 is a notorious example of oddly balanced guns with BF2 versus with other games. It tends to work well in most games but the BF2 version feels like you're firing a BB gun thanks to what they did with all anti-tank class SMG's; make them terrible for combat in every way possible. You should never, ever need more than half a mag of MP5 to make a kill at close range. Agreed on the XM8. I guess I'd be okay with it if it doesn't appear often, but it doesn't hurt to take it out in exchange for different weapons that are actually used. Speaking of attachments, I'd like to see the bipod work out for sniper rifles just like it does on LMG's; I see absolutely no reason for them not to do for the sniper rifle bipod what they did for LMG bipods. It's very neat that you can ACTUALLY DEPLOY them instead of having them magically work when you're prone. Useful because the ground is not the only place where a bipod can go.

I never got quite the impression that the BF series went for realism. They definitely do a much better job than most games (i.e. selective fire), but they still sacrifice realism to achieve a certain gameplay style. Once Project Reality hits though, that'll be a completely different story. I ought to spend more time on such games; they give you a lot on how weapons work and how they're fired.

I suspect that they won't bring back super-armored helicopters that can survive a tank shell/AT rocket, which is a darned good thing. I don't really like the inability of a heli to be unable to capture though; it gives less "easy targets" which are always fun to kill with AT rockets/tank shells. I do hope they bring AT weapon damages to more realistic and varied levels though, as well as separating vehicle functions. For example, in Halo Reach, you can blow off the turret of a Scorpion tank, which obviously completely disables it. For BF3, I'd like to see an AT rocket immobilize tanks (until they're repaired of course) and also damage the weapon systems. (i.e. AT rocket to turret will not allow shells to launch until repaired.)

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:24 am

C-A_99 - There was a sniper-rifle bipod in the alpha. It placess just as with the LMG, and with the bipod enabled, and deployed at the right placement towards terrain, there is only vertical sight driftning up/down. Without the bipod there is both vertical and horizontal drifting and its imperative to use the steady-function.

Also, there is complete lists of the weapons in the game out on several sites.
http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/complete-lis ... 3-weapons/

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered through Best Buy. There's no way that I'm touching Origin, and the dog tag pack that Amazon was offering didn't seem worth it to me. With that being said, my other options were Best Buy or Gamestop. Since the weapons in the Physical Warfare pack will be released for free in the future, I thought I'd go with the extra player skins that come with the SPECACT kit. So, when the Physical Warfare pack is released into the wild, I will have the best of both worlds.

Anywho...by any chance has someone considered getting a server?

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:12 pm

You do realise that its now confirmed that Origin is a required insall for Battlefield 3, right ?

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Dizik wrote:
...by any chance has someone considered getting a server?

I've considered it. I don't have the time or inclination to administer it, though, so I'll probably pass. However...

If somebody else wants to get a server and manage it, I will most certainly contribute some $ to the cause. I highly recommend Gameservers.com.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:05 pm

If I hadnt been in the EU I would have pitched in easily.

Being in the EU I dont have any community I'm in that does that, but I have a few regular places and clan's that always has servers where I play. Otherwise I go with Arsclan which has a server or two usually. And while BC2 worked with the high latency, the time difference makes it a PITA to play with people overseas.

But if anybody else is in the EU, please hit me up if you are looking for some decently serious gametime.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Aphasia wrote:
You do realise that its now confirmed that Origin is a required insall for Battlefield 3, right ?

Even for the PS3 version?

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:53 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
Aphasia wrote:

Even for the PS3 version?
An Origin account is needed for both the 360 and PS3 versions, but an Origin account is nothing more than a re-branded EA.com account. What Aphasia was referring to was the need for the Origin client regardless of which PC version (Origin, Amazon, Best Buy, etc.) you buy. I didn't realize until today that the client was required to be installed. Due to all of the recent nerd uproar in regards to its EULA, I was hesitant to purchase it through Origin so I went through Best Buy instead.

Lucky Jack Aubrey wrote:
However...

If somebody else wants to get a server and manage it, I will most certainly contribute some $ to the cause. I highly recommend Gameservers.com.
I'm in the same boat. I don't have the time to admin a server, but I'd be more than happy to contribute.

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:18 am

Dizik wrote:
..by any chance has someone considered getting a server?

I'm sure my clan will have one. A lot of anticipation for this game.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

Nutmeg
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:16 pm

I bought the game on Origin like a month and a half ago, before the news about the weird stuff EA is trying to pull with the service. Dunno if I really want to use it after that. It's not like i'm gonna have a computer that will run the game well anyway. Plus I can't afford to spend 2 years playing the damn thing like I did with BF2.