Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

michael_d
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Metro: Last Light

Tue May 31, 2011 7:15 pm

The first trailer of Metro 2033 sequel tilted Metro: Last Light has been released. Although it looks like a teaser slide show it does offer of a glimpse of what is to come. Scheduled for Q4 2012. Plus, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is rumoured to come out in 2012 so the genre lovers are in for a treat.

Mero: Last Light

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: Metro: Last Light

Tue May 31, 2011 8:25 pm

I will buy this. Metro 2033 was a great game and polished like few games are (with the exception of the occasional crash bug where I had to restart in a previous chapter to continue playing).

I'm curious where the story line will pick up. The Russian version of the game had one ending, but the American version had two.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:49 am

FireGryphon wrote:
I will buy this. Metro 2033 was a great game and polished like few games are (with the exception of the occasional crash bug where I had to restart in a previous chapter to continue playing).

I'm curious where the story line will pick up. The Russian version of the game had one ending, but the American version had two.

Funny, can you tell me which 2 ending are you talking about. The one that i finished involved missiles - IIRC.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:02 am

Jigar wrote:
Funny, can you tell me which 2 ending are you talking about. The one that i finished involved missiles - IIRC.

The one with missiles is the same as the Russian ending. If you make 'good' moral choices in the game such as giving ammo to beggars, not accePting rewards, etc. You have the option at the end to destroy the tracking device and save the dark ones because you realize they want to make peace.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

michael_d
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:09 pm

I decided to revive this thread as there is another 13 minute gameplay video, we have seen excerpts from it before, enjoy here.

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:05 am

michael_d wrote:
I decided to revive this thread as there is another 13 minute gameplay video, we have seen excerpts from it before, enjoy here.

Saw that yesterday.
Having played the 1st game, this is a pre-order, full price, not waiting for sale price title for me.
Can't wait.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 am

Never even played any of the Metro line... But definitely will get into this new one once it's released!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm somewhere in the middle (I imagine) of metro 2033. I got it for free with my videocard back in March. It is fantastic, everything is so well done. Talk about a sleeper title.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:10 pm

So far I am not at all a fan of Metro 2033.
Started off very poorly with the constant popups telling me how to play. I wanted to punch whoever made that decision in the face on more than one occasion.
I've never seen a game start off so atrociously geared to a 6 year old console player.

The game mechanics are not that great either so far. I also am not a fan of games that feel so annoyingly scripted. I'm only in it a ways but if it continues how it started I wont even bother finishing. You don't endear me to your game when you force me to die to continue your story.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:18 pm

I've never seen a game start off so atrociously geared to a 6 year old console player.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

The PC Acolytes once again demonstrate their masterful reasoning processes. "This game designed for PC by PC game designers for the PC on the PC only the PC has consolitis!" How? No explanation. It just "does".

Maybe someday gamers will learn how to not be completely incoherent, and when that happens: Better games for all of us. I can't wait.

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:23 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
The PC Acolytes once again demonstrate their masterful reasoning processes.

Thank you very much for taking care not to paint with too broad a brush there! :roll:

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:12 pm

I feel it's a very narrow brush: There most certainly is a contingent of incredibly vocal hyper-sensitive rose-colored-glasses PC gamers with a religious zeal for pushing their bigoted message, and their primary tactic is to drown out any disagreement with noise, noise, noise. And since they're so noisy, their incoherent blubbering receives more attention from game developers and publishers than cooler heads do. Hence, devs and pubs don't hear the voice of "gamers", they hear the voice of "shrill spoiled children".

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:34 pm

SPOOFE wrote:

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

The PC Acolytes once again demonstrate their masterful reasoning processes. "This game designed for PC by PC game designers for the PC on the PC only the PC has consolitis!" How? No explanation. It just "does".

Maybe someday gamers will learn how to not be completely incoherent, and when that happens: Better games for all of us. I can't wait.

I said 6 year old console player. Are you a 6 year old? Then don't be offended. :D
I will use "consolitis" to describe anything that is dumbed down to an annoying degree because it wasn't like this back in the day.

http://youtu.be/W1ZtBCpo0eU
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Metro 2033 is all about the story and ambiance. Some of the mechanics are clunky and if you're looking to collect copious amounts of guns or what not like in Borderlands you wont find it.

SPOOFE wrote:
I feel it's a very narrow brush: There most certainly is a contingent of incredibly vocal hyper-sensitive rose-colored-glasses PC gamers with a religious zeal for pushing their bigoted message, and their primary tactic is to drown out any disagreement with noise, noise, noise. And since they're so noisy, their incoherent blubbering receives more attention from game developers and publishers than cooler heads do. Hence, devs and pubs don't hear the voice of "gamers", they hear the voice of "shrill spoiled children".

Oh, the hypocrisy!

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:47 am

I won a copy of Metro 2033 from TR a while back. I never did finish it.

It is/was a beautiful game. Excellent graphics, good storytelling, great ambiance. But I just couldn't get into it. Too much of the sneaking around was foiled by my inability to kill people consistently. The combat mechanics just didn't jive. Interestingly, I really liked the game's interface. How if you want to pull up the map, you actually saw the map in its case. The magazine for your gun was right there and you could watch the rounds disappear. The watch device for your gas mask's filter, the compass had to be pulled up to see it... I liked how you didn't have ghostly HUDs on the screen all the time with a magazine count, compass and enemy health meter.

Unfortunately, I quickly forgot what keys pulled up what device. After the fourth time trying to remember how to find the compass, I was frustrated enough to switch to something else.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:41 pm

SPOOFE wrote:

You may have meant a few of the many PC enthusiasts, but you didn't say that. I think first of all that you're giving a little too much weight to "vocal hyper-sensitive" posts if you think publishers and developers are paying so much attention to them. Your misguided attempt to call out a whole group of people when one person made the comment is generalizing too much unless you qualify it.

I don't care if you're a console player, a PC player, or a basketball player. I suspect you're rather young and a bit naive if you think that your comments are somehow helping your cause. I don't agree with danny's "geared to a 6 year old console player" comment, but for future reference, here's how you respond a one poster's comment without alienating 90% of your audience (you do realize this is a computer hardware site?):

danny e. wrote:
...geared to a 6 year old console player

What in the world does your inability to turn off "Hints" in the options menu have to do with 6-year old console players? If you didn't like the game, just say that and leave it at that. If you have to follow up your post with a "well, I meant..." it probably means that's what you should've said in the first place.

If the textures were low-resolution, there were control issues unless you used a gamepad, etc. I would understand a reference to consoles, but nothing could be further from the truth. Why do people redefine words in their head and then expect others to know what they're thinking?