Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Firefox 4+: Gap For Tabs on Top

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi all,

I was in the discussion about the differences between chrome and firefox and I got to thinking. I prefer Firefox over Chrome but there are a couple of things I can't stand about the current firefox. One of them was that, while having tabs on top frees up a lot of screen real estate, it's cumbersome when you're filled up on tabs and want to move the browser somewhere else.

Luckily, I made a fix for this awhile ago (so long that I almost forgot it wasn't apart of native firefox).

The fix involves editing (or creating) the userChrome.css file in the chrome directory under your firefox profile. So, navigate to %USERPROFILE%/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles

There should only be one folder in here, which looks like [bunchOfLettersHere].default. Go here, the go to/create the chrome directory. Inside the chrome directory open/create userChrome.css.

Then copy this code into userChrome.css:

#main-window[sizemode=maximized] #navigator-toolbox[tabsontop="true"] #TabsToolbar{

padding-top: 4px !important;

}

You can change 4px to whatever you want, but I found 4px to be the best. Save userChrome.css and restart Firefox. Then your tab bar should look like this:

Hope this helps someone.

*UPDATE*

It looks like mozilla removed the tabs on top option altogether in v29, so there's a slight tweak you'll need to do to keep this working in v29+:

#main-window[sizemode=maximized] #navigator-toolbox #TabsToolbar{

padding-top: 4px !important;

}

If you'll notice all that's necessary is to remove the tabs on top reference.
Last edited by Ryhadar on Thu May 22, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Firefox 4+: Gap For Tabs on Top

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Nice man! I always hated that empty space since 4.0.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100