Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

xtalentx
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: I miss old games... Bring them back!

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Wasteland was amazing. I would love to have a game like it, or Fallout 1 or 2. The direction they went with Fallout 3, it's just not the same. 3D- I don't want it. I want isometric turn based. I don't want twitchy shooters posing as RPGs. I know I am in the minority on that.

Heck I would be fine with a tile game like Wasteland if the interface was as good and the story was engaging.

Have you tried King's Bounty AP? It's got pretty cool turn based fighting and kind of an oldschool newschool mix feel. I have been putting TONS of hours into it lately at the expense of sleep...

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:30 pm

I know this game is not largely popular, but for some reason I absolutely loved Lords of the Realm II. Played it over and over again until Age of the Empires II.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:04 pm

xtalentx wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
Wasteland was amazing. I would love to have a game like it, or Fallout 1 or 2. The direction they went with Fallout 3, it's just not the same. 3D- I don't want it. I want isometric turn based. I don't want twitchy shooters posing as RPGs. I know I am in the minority on that.

Heck I would be fine with a tile game like Wasteland if the interface was as good and the story was engaging.

Have you tried King's Bounty AP? It's got pretty cool turn based fighting and kind of an oldschool newschool mix feel. I have been putting TONS of hours into it lately at the expense of sleep...

Yeah, loved King's Bounty Armored Princess. The expansion pack (Crossworlds) was a bit of a gyp, though. Overpromised and underdelivered.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:24 pm

mmmmmdonuts21 wrote:
I know this game is not largely popular, but for some reason I absolutely loved Lords of the Realm II. Played it over and over again until Age of the Empires II.

The grey matter remembers this game - I thought it was pretty awful (sorry!). Sierra's best effort at TBS, but it could never live uo to AoE's complexity and more structured nature. I might still have the original CD-ROM for this somewhere. I definatly remember it's sequel as thats about 8-9 years newer - And mainly becasue it was NOTHING like LotR II neither (No, not Lord of the Rings).

Was this the game that had a bit of a inventory management issue? I think this was the one where I always run out of food to easily, so I would just give up and play something else...
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 pm

The Leisure Suit Larry series.

[/ducks]
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

crazybus

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:34 pm

I wish Microsoft hadn't made running AOE2 on Vista/7 so annoying. We still regularly play LAN multiplayer and the requirements to host the game on an XP box, disable UPNP and kill the explorer.exe process are kind of ridiculous. Anyone know how to put the DirectPlay components Microsoft removed from Vista back in?
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

bluepiranha
Gerbil

Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:42 pm

khands wrote:
I miss the space fighter games of long ago, Descent, Freespace, Wing Commander, etc. Also, mechwarrior and its kind.

Ohhhh yeaaahhhhh. FreeSpace was a huge favorite of mine!
Ad astra per aspera.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:10 pm

I posted a somewhat relevant topic a bit back.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=73977

I think a lot of the loss of fun, modern games is partly attributed to either a) the demise of those old studios (3DO, Black Isle, Interplay, etc) or the conglomeration and creation of mega studios (EA, Activision-Blizzard, etc). With big companies, I don't think they foster fresh talent so to speak, simply because their goal is to make money and why risk 10 failed endeavors when one is guaranteed success? That does say something then about "indie studios", but I wish there were indie studios focused on the games I like (fantasy RPG's and RTS's).

Also does anyone remember the Heretic/Hexen/Hexen II series? I absolutely loved those games as a kid, and Hexen II is by far a huuuuugely underrated blend of FPS/RPG, and puzzle. That game made you think, and it was awesome. Recently I've discovered some sweet retexture mods that people made for the game, and it looks absolutely amazing with modern graphics. I have to dig out my old CD's for the game and install it with the mods.

Edit:
And for those who can't bother with the thread I linked to, this quote says it all. It's from a developer at Sir-Tech Software circa 2001.

As most PC gamers have noticed, the quality of PC titles has significantly reduced recently. 2001 was a very poor year for PC gaming IMHO, and I think this has everything to do with publishers trying to make a quick and easy buck. The problem is getting out of hand, and they’ve dug a nasty hole that I believe will be quite difficult to get out of. Developers are forced (metaphorically speaking) to release buggy and unfinished products, while gamers are required to download patches just to run the darn things. In a way, it’s kind of sad that people are so surprised and happy about Wizardry 8 being so stable. Sure, it may be a stable product, but isn’t that the way it’s suppose to be? It seems that gamers and reviewers have been treating it as if stability is a bonus feature for a PC title

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:52 am

Yeah, I know the feeling, although to cure that, I've been playing the old Sierra and LucasArts adventure games a whole bit. Loom, The Dig, Indiana Jones, Space Quest,etc.

As for the shooting genre, the only thing I miss from yee old days are Action Quake 2 mod. And Descent. Except for those, they dont really hold a candle to Battlefield-series which is my choice of shooter nowdays. What I miss is the fast twitch action with hit scan and predictable lag, nothing of that newfangled lag compensating adaptive predicting interpolating netcode. Back in the old days one had to learn to compensate, and it worked well.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:08 pm

It's a shame that pure-text adventure games like Infocom used to produce (Zork series, HHGTTG, etc...) will never come back again... Not everyone needs graphics to enjoy a well thought out text-based adventure! Used to spend endless hours designing hand-drawn maps everytime I went N/S/W/E/U/D.

Other then those, I'm a hardcore lover of all games from the past, especially anything from the 8-bit era (C=64, Atari) and some of the classic arcade games too (ala MAME).

Let me see if I can throw some bones at 'cha (Elevator Action, Mr. Do, Bruce Lee, Spelunker, Miner 2049'er, etc...)

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:33 pm

thegleek wrote:
It's a shame that pure-text adventure games like Infocom used to produce (Zork series, HHGTTG, etc...) will never come back again... Not everyone needs graphics to enjoy a well thought out text-based adventure! Used to spend endless hours designing hand-drawn maps everytime I went N/S/W/E/U/D.

There are quite a few nice web-based text RPG's. Lost Souls comes to mind... extremely well thought out, and played through a telnet client.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Lost Souls, eh? Reading the wiki page now --- looks awesome! I'll definitely have to look into this further...

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:43 am

rcs2k4 wrote:
- SimCity (2000 and SC4 are the best examples)
- The Sims (The 1st one + it's add-on packs)
- Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 and 2
- Age of Empires II and III
- Command and Conquer (Played to many, maybe Tiberian Sun is my fav. RIP Westwood Studios!)
- Starcraft 1 and 2 (Yeah, I know it's new)
- Theme Park (And Theme Park World)
- Traffic Giant

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy these type of games, and can spend countless hours on them.

This is pretty much a list of my favorite strategy games, minus The Sims :)

I re-installed Age of Empires II a couple weeks ago, and RCT2 yesterday actually.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:01 am

thegleek wrote:

Other then those, I'm a hardcore lover of all games from the past, especially anything from the 8-bit era (C=64, Atari) and some of the classic arcade games too (ala MAME).

Let me see if I can throw some bones at 'cha (Elevator Action, Mr. Do, Bruce Lee, Spelunker, Miner 2049'er, etc...)

mud.theuw.net. I used to play that until about 5 years ago. Lots of fun. Used to have a pretty decent player base too, dunno what it's like now though.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

deinabog
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:13 am

I have fond memories of firing up Descent on my old 486 back in December '95 and loving it. The Rebirth open source versions of Descent and Descent 2 are great also and they both run flawlessly in 64-bit Windows 7 and Linux. It's the reason I didn't finish grad school (ok I got lazy too) :wink: .
A man must have a code -Bunk

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:43 am

I'm "seriously" looking forward to the new Serious Sam game. Yeah, not quite as old as most of the other stuff being discussed, but the first one came out 10 years ago so I think it qualifies.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:44 am

SC4 still works fine on W7! In fact, there is a small mod which gets it to run on much higher resolutions than originally intended. Last time I dusted it out I got it to run at 2560x1200 on my 30" screen. The game is still awesome even though it was released 7 years ago. I wish they made SC5.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

awakeningcry
Gerbil

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:28 am

Two words: Dungeoon Master.

SuperSpy

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:07 am

The Win32 version of SimCity 2000 still works under 7 (even x64 if you copy the install off a 32-bit machine) the only think that doesn't work is load/save (I think MS took out the version of the load/save window it calls). Makes for some pretty hilarious gaming when 'african swallow' speed is like 30 years per second. :o
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Klanky
Gerbil

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:25 am

Haven't seen anyone mention it yet...but what about Star Control 2? I remember playing on my old 486 in the mid 90s - it was one of the first games that really sucked me in and I was sad when I finished because it meant no more new adventures or quirky aliens. When I lost Fwiffo in the final battle (after he had been with me from the beginning)...wow. That game did a great job of mixing humor with a serious SF storyline.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC
120 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Gigabyte B450 Aorus-M
NZXT H510
16 GB Ballistix DD4 3200

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:07 am

This thread reminds me of Reddit's playdate - the games aren't as old as the ones listed here, but what t hey do is they find an older game with a multiplayer component, and usually a tiny community (maybe a dozen players) then most of the subreddit picks it up and plays for a few days, briefly turning a community of 20 to a community of 2000

http://www.reddit.com/r/Playdate/ certainly wroth checking out

The PC games I grew up on were Quest for Glory, Doom (my uncle had hidden it in a folder called "c:\work", not knowing I knew the filesystem pretty well for a five year old), Captain Comic, and Descent. I'm not sure why but I think I view games around the time we got a Pentium (Red Alert, Lego Island) as not as 'classic', and games like Tachyon the Fringe and The Curse of Monkey Island for some reason still feel 'recent' despite them coming out over a decade ago. And it's not like I'm that old, I was 10 when I got Curse of Monkey Island
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:23 am

Klanky wrote:
Haven't seen anyone mention it yet...but what about Star Control 2? I remember playing on my old 486 in the mid 90s - it was one of the first games that really sucked me in and I was sad when I finished because it meant no more new adventures or quirky aliens. When I lost Fwiffo in the final battle (after he had been with me from the beginning)...wow. That game did a great job of mixing humor with a serious SF storyline.

Do a google search for "Ur-Quan Masters". The game is free for everything except the name which was retained by Accolade AND it's updated AND it has stuff like internet-based multiplayer for melee mode.

Also good in the same vein of space adventure/exploration, though with less arcade-y combat, Starflight and Starflight 2 which inspired Star Control 2 and I think one of the programmers from Starflight also worked on Star Control 2.

Klanky
Gerbil

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:44 am

Scrotos wrote:
Do a google search for "Ur-Quan Masters". The game is free for everything except the name which was retained by Accolade AND it's updated AND it has stuff like internet-based multiplayer for melee mode.

Yes, I have it. It's awesome.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC
120 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Gigabyte B450 Aorus-M
NZXT H510
16 GB Ballistix DD4 3200

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:46 am

BlackStar wrote:
rcs2k4 wrote:
BlackStar wrote:
Good old games to the rescue. These guys rock!

...They just don't make games like these anymore...Where are the games that make you feel like you are a part of a living, breathing world that exists outside of your character?

I think what etilena says is probably right. We have fond memories of the originals for many games. The race was on all through the 90's to make CPU's hit 1Ghz, and then 2, windows was more complex and getting intelligent. Games were being made more complex, and AI was getting better. Because nothing existed to really compare it too (afterall, Windows and it's GUI was new in 1994), everything seamed just so much more exciting, as you had no idea what was coming next. There was true innovation back then in the games and hardware industry. Now it's all a bit seen it all before sadly.

I think the issue is that 'mainstream' game developers are rehashing the same old concepts time and time again. How many more Medal of Honors, Call of Dutys, Halos, Need for Speeds and World of Warcraft expansions do we really need to see? It's the same gameplay rehashed with slightly better graphics.

But they keep being made because people keep buying them! Same with complaints about stupid movies being clones of each other--any innovative or different or "risky" movie that strays from the bland formula gets punished at the box office though sometimes gets decent DVD sales and/or a cult following. With games and the higher costs to produce, why take any risk? Your balls are being held by the distributor anyway so you just have to box and ship when they want, product finished or not.

Back in the day the graphics were so limited that you had a ton of experimentation on gameplay. Some good, many not. Then hardware started to pick up and games were valued in large part on their engine tech and graphics. That's Doom that really kicked that off though Wolf3D helped it. Now we've kind of reached diminishing returns. Games are targeted towards consoles so there's a plateau of quality. And even if you kick it up a notch, you can spend 5 hours more per texture and even on a pimped out computer, most players will never notice any of that detail anyway so why bother spending the time and expense?

I'm seeing the rise of indy games as a good thing. Smaller studios reminds me of the old shareware model where you had random funky games that were fun if not technical tour de forces. And Steam makes it easy to FIND these games rather than randomly lookin' around the internets.

BlackStar wrote:
(*) This is my pet peeve. Oblivion and Fallout 3 were dumbed down atrocities; The Witcher was okish; Dragon Age was terrible; Mass Effect doesn't deserve to be called an RPG. Why has this genre disappeared? Or space operas for that matter?

These all died when Sierra died. Though not "RPG" per se, the Adventure genre just seemed to lose favor and in its place, fps reigned supreme.

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:13 pm

I am very fortunate that I kept a lot of my old DOS games and that I can run the majority of them in DOSBox. Just recently I played NHL 97. I also have a fair number of older Windows 95/98 games and have an old Celeron 433 tower in my closet should I really want to take a trip back in time on the titles that do not run on modern versions of Windows.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:02 pm

PetMiceRnice wrote:
I am very fortunate that I kept a lot of my old DOS games and that I can run the majority of them in DOSBox. Just recently I played NHL 97. I also have a fair number of older Windows 95/98 games and have an old Celeron 433 tower in my closet should I really want to take a trip back in time on the titles that do not run on modern versions of Windows.

I was more of an NHL 96 fan myself. Hell, I even got a Gravis GRiP system so I could do 4-player gaming with my friends! This was back before USB existed so you couldn't have 4 gamepads any other way.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKE52J3HF-8

Oh man - lost so many hours, days, weeks, months playing that stupid 8-bit game. Me & my brother went so far as play seasons, keep full statistics of every game and eventually have a world series. Intense!

l33t-g4m3r

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:49 pm

khands wrote:
I miss the space fighter games of long ago, Descent, Freespace, Wing Commander, etc. Also, mechwarrior and its kind.

I'd pay up front to help finance a new descent game. Also, Earthsiege/Starsiege. We've gotten a lot of different FPS's over the years, but the original gameplay of descent has disappeared and left a void that needs to be filled.
I did buy minerwars, but that isn't complete or similar enough to be the next descent. I need to shoot virus infected robots inside mines.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:43 am

Plowing through Baldur's gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape torment right now...its like 1999 all over again.