Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:29 am

Holy crap, that's a lot of money. I wonder how much buying Motorola and its patents will aide Google with defending themselves from the ongoing and future lawsuits from Apple, Microsoft, etc.

Google Blog
CNet Article
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:15 am

Well Motorola was already in a lawsuit with Apple over GSM/Antennae type items so hopefully it will help. Kind of funny I remember just last week someone saying that they want to better use MMI's patent portfolio.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:17 pm

This is good news for my MMI stock. I don't believe that it's good for the cell phone consumer.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Unfortunately this seems to be the only way that company's can arm themselves against unprofessional **** companies like RAMBUS. I don't feel like its going to be a bad thing for the cell phone consumer though... My last 4 phones have been Motorola :|...

Razr (Work phone that was provided to me, just plain old good phone)
Rokr (First phone I decided to buy, was a great reliable phone.)
Backflip (What a pain it was...... wanted to be an early adopter to Android to learn the OS, served its purpose for a little over a year)
Atrix (Love the hell out of this phone)

Its not that i'd call myself a Motorola Fan Boy or anything, i've also had a Samsung Impression that I used for a work phone, wasn't bad, great screen. But I think the acquisition by Google was a smart and a good move for consumers. Apple right now is the only "Serious" choice for smartphones if a consumer wants a phone that the hardware and software is made by the same people (No, not counting blackberries). Google can now make sure that the Motorola phones jive perfectly with the Android OS on release. It means that consumers have the option to get a Teir 1 product with Android on it, but also have the option to buy from a Teir 2 vendor like Samsung, HTC, ect. As long as Google takes care of the other guys like Samsung/HTC and doesn't leave them out in the cold. Or screw them over by pushing their Motorola products and giving themselves a large advantage, then everything will be fine. Google does have an invested interest in seeing not only their Motorola products win out, but other vendors as well, the more people on the Android OS = more cash in Google's advertising pockets. It makes me wonder if Google can really live by its motto.... "Don't be evil."
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x