Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Ushio01
Gerbil
Topic Author

Finally common sense prevails.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Smartphone with laptop, slate and console docks.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/05/kts- ... nd-a-game/

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: Finally common sense prevails.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:25 pm

Now this is a clever idea. Have terminals all over the place, just plug in the brains and you're good to go. It would be cool to have a terminal in my car, at work... sweet, sweet possibilities.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:54 pm

After the Motorola phones I've had, I trust this unknown Korean company more than them. :wink: But yes, it is coming...

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Very cool. I especially like the laptop idea with the phone as the touch pad. Price will be the big thing. The problem with the Matrix webtop is the cost. If the pad expansion is $150 and the phone is $400, then they might have a good run at it.

--SS

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:07 pm

So this is unrelated to the topic itself...but why do so many sites say 'check out the video/pictures/review after the break.' What break? The info is right freaking there, a few pixels below the 'after the break'. Am I missing something?

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:38 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
So this is unrelated to the topic itself...but why do so many sites say 'check out the video/pictures/review after the break.' What break? The info is right freaking there, a few pixels below the 'after the break'. Am I missing something?

I always thought that meant that there was a big advertisement in the middle of the page, and if you scroll past it you get to the rest of the article. That was certainly true on some sites, but it doesn't seem to explain all of them. It could also be that web media is trying to be more TV-like to attract a more ADHD readership so they try to trick you into thinking you're watching TV when in fact you're just scrolling a web page.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:06 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
In most cases if you look at the front page of the originating site itself, rather than this (or any other particular) article, only the text "before the break" shows up. Many / most CMS have support for some kind of "jump" or "more" tag -- eg WordPress -- that controls what gets truncated from archive / frontpage views, gets sent out via RSS, etc. When you click on the headline, you get the full article -- including both that intro text and the "after the jump" note (if they were really sophisticated with their CMS they'd assemble the full article without that, but hardly anybody bothers). Of course when people pass around links to the article itself rather than the front page, that context is lost and the note seems strange.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Well it's sloppy and poor writing, and it ought to be coded out when viewing the actual full article, and it irritates me because it makes the article sound like crap - it's completely unnecessary :D There isn't even really a 'break' anyway, even when being linked from a main page, because that would imply it's on the same page just after umm 'something'...except in ADHD land like FireGryphon says. After a paragraph or two there's a break? sheesh. It only makes me appreciate TR writing quality and page layout even more.