Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

rekta
Gerbil
Topic Author

Where can I find a basic Heatsink for my Intel 945 Chipset?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi all,

I recently purchased a barebone system from ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiron-300-Zino-1-6GHz-CPU-Barebone-Adpt-4FWY3-/350472490763?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item5199c9cf0b. It's a Dell Zino 300 (Contains an Atom CPU) + Intel 945 Chipset.

When I got it, I noticed that the Intel chipset does not have a heatsink on it. So I went to my nearest retailer store (Microcenter) to look for a chipset heatsink. There are only 3 North Bridge heatsink available there. First I bought the fanless Zalman heatsink here: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0253200 and noticed that this heatsink does not fit. So I went ahead and purchased all other available NB heatsink there and NONE fits. So I wondered that maybe this is a special Dell heatsink that they are using. I tried to search and search but nothing.

Now I'm seeking help that maybe you guys know where I can buy a low profile heatsink over the net. I took a picture for your reference:

As you can see, using a normal ruler, the distance between hole A to hole be is around 1.75 inches or 45mm.

This computer will be running 24/7 until it dies. It will be located in a different country which is so hot all the time. If I don't put a heatsink on the chipset, I'm almost certain it will die ASAP.

Please help.

Thanks!
Last edited by rekta on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Where can I find a basic Heatsink for my Intel 945 Chips

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Picture link not working...

How hot are we talking about here? Unless the system will routinely be running in an environment that is above ~37C I think the chipset should be fine without an aftermarket heatsink. I would be more concerned about the exhaust fan dying.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

rekta
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:07 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Picture link not working...

How hot are we talking about here? Unless the system will routinely be running in an environment that is above ~37C I think the chipset should be fine without an aftermarket heatsink. I would be more concerned about the exhaust fan dying.

Sorry about that, I don't know what happened to dropbox. Anyway, here it is:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x46 ... hipest.jpg

or

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21866131/rsz_11chipest.jpg

I'm trying to run it now and I could still touch it with my finger fine. However, I'm here in the East Coast right now and its kinda cool (right now its 60F). In my home country (where the PC will stay), its always around 100's F all year long. Is it still safe to have no heatsink in that condition?

Thanks again.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:21 pm

How warm is it now? You say you can touch it... but is it cool, warm, or bordering on hot?

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Just Artic Silver Epoxy a heatsink onto it.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:

Great idea... why didn't I think of that?

rekta
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
How warm is it now? You say you can touch it... but is it cool, warm, or bordering on hot?

I was wrong with my first statement. It is very hot, but not to the point of "too hot to touch" but I think its almost there.

I ran HW monitor and speedfan and it reported a rather high temp.

As you can see

TMPIN1 = 71 C

However, it is not indicated that TMPIN1 = Chipset. But when I touched it, it felt like 70 C so Im just assuming it is the chipset.

When I ran Speedfan, it also reports 70 C but its "TEMP1".

So I'll probably try the epoxy paste.

Thanks!

Will this do?http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0247012
Last edited by rekta on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Another possibility would be to stick some of these on it. They come with double-sided thermal tape; looks like a cluster of 4 of them would fit on top of that chip.

rekta
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Another possibility would be to stick some of these on it. They come with double-sided thermal tape; looks like a cluster of 4 of them would fit on top of that chip.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll look around for more Mosfets coolers and use it instead of finding a perfect heatsink for this chipset.

But I'm also thinking combining these:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0247012 + http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0362235

I'll just remove the fan.
Last edited by rekta on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:24 pm

I've had success with the Thermalright HR05-SLI/IFX on an NForce4 chipset. The results were less spectacular with the Zalman ZM-NB47J as discussed here and here.

You could probably do very well with a Thermalright HR05 on there.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:
Great idea... why didn't I think of that?

Epecially if you epoxy the good old Zalman 47 on that NB chip.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

rekta
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:27 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I've had success with the Thermalright HR05-SLI-FX on an NForce4 chipset. The results were less spectacular with the ZalmanZM-NB47J as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35104

They thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, the Dell Zino is very small and I believe that won't fit. I'm hoping to find a heatsink that is like 1 inch tall.

But I could use that at my gaming PC :D

Thanks again.

EDIT: I already tried the Zalman but it was too tall and the locks (that goes to the mobo holes) even though it is adjusted, won't align properly.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:32 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The results were less spectacular with the ZalmanZM-NB47J as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35104

I had the same issue installing one on an Asus A8N-E a while back. Had to trim back several of the pins to avoid interference with the cooler on the graphics card.

It is a wonderful thing that most motherboards come standard with a passive northbridge cooler these days. Whiny little northbridge fans that burned out after a year if you ran the system 24x7 sucked big time.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Whiny little northbridge fans that burned out after a year if you ran the system 24x7 sucked big time.

Ah yes, reminds me of the Socket A Athlon XP days and my first acquaintance with the Zalman 47 on a KT400 board.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:40 pm

I suggest going passive...the small fans on chipset or old VGA heatsinks are virtually guaranteed to wear out in not too long. The AS Epoxy + another heatsink is the way to go. Try asking around for old junked computers or electronics, get handy with a rotary cutting tool or a hacksaw and you're good to go. (The Zalman won't fit...MAKE IT FIT...by cutting it :) )

rekta
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:52 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
I suggest going passive...the small fans on chipset or old VGA heatsinks are virtually guaranteed to wear out in not too long. The AS Epoxy + another heatsink is the way to go. Try asking around for old junked computers or electronics, get handy with a rotary cutting tool or a hacksaw and you're good to go. (The Zalman won't fit...MAKE IT FIT...by cutting it :) )

Exactly my thoughts! I was almost about to cut the Zalman earlier (maybe half an inch). Unfortunately, I don't have the tool to cut it.

Can this http://www.lowes.com/pd_76710-70-DW4802N25_4294936478+5003694__?productId=1270369&Ntt=metal+saw&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_1%2B5_4294936478%2B5003694__s%3FNtt%3Dmetal%2Bsaw%26Ns%3Dp_product_price|0&facetInfo=$1%20-%20$5 enough to cut it? I'll patiently use my hands (ouch).

Also, can I use this http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0247012 as the thermal epoxy? Someone said from the Newegg reviews that its "not for NB" which I find weird. Can I use this thermal paste epoxy for the NB?

Damn, I just returned the Zalman .. I hope the more in stock in store. Crap.

Thanks for your suggestions. If you have more ideas, I'm more than welcome to try it.

Thanks again.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:00 pm

You don't have to use the 47 mm tall Zalman ZM-NB47J northbridge cooler. There's a 32 mm tall version dubbed the ZM-NB32. There's also a 27 mm tall all-copper Enzotech CNB-S1. CoolerGuys have a selection. Have you measured your clearance? Note that these come with the plastic push pins and adjustable metal clamps so that you can mount the heatsink to the motherboard holes around your chip without resorting to epoxy.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

rekta
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:11 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
You don't have to use the 47 mm tall Zalman ZM-NB47J northbridge cooler. There's a 32 mm tall version dubbed the ZM-NB32. Have you measured your clearance? Note that these come with the plastic push pins and adjustable metal clamps so that you can mount the heatsink to the motherboard holes around your chip without resorting to epoxy.

Wow, this will do! 32mm will be perfect.

Yes, about those push pins, it is actually very adjustable but no matter how I adjust the Zalman earlier it just won't align with the 2 holes. As if the Dell Zino mobo, has its own measurement and after market heatsink wont fit. I might still have to use epoxy which I'm kinda hesitant because if this breaks in 30 days, I can't return it anymore.

However, the one that you sent has a dimension of Size (LWH): 1.46 inches, 1.46 inches, 1.26 inches which is smaller than the zalman ZM-NB47J. So I might get lucky not to use a thermal paste.

I might check if some local retailers have it.

Thanks for this.

EDIT: I just bought it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835118002

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Because I'm a cheap sonofagun, here's my suggestion.

Go to your nearest mom-n-pop computer shop. Explain to them what you want to do. Ask if they have a pile of bad motherboards (almost everyone has a junk pile) that you can scrounge for a matching heatsink; tell them you know it isn't that hot here, but you will be moving to somewhere that is. Ask what it will cost you if you find one that fits (know that they may just say "take it", but asking shows you're a decent customer, not someone looking for a handout). At most, they'll probably charge you five bucks for one.

If you lived in my neck of the woods, I'd gladly provide you one off one in my junk pile if it fit. I usually keep a few junkers around for the occasional BIOS chip, CMOS battery, some jumpers, or a part like the heatsink you mention.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

rekta
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:35 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
Because I'm a cheap sonofagun, here's my suggestion.

Go to your nearest mom-n-pop computer shop. Explain to them what you want to do. Ask if they have a pile of bad motherboards (almost everyone has a junk pile) that you can scrounge for a matching heatsink; tell them you know it isn't that hot here, but you will be moving to somewhere that is. Ask what it will cost you if you find one that fits (know that they may just say "take it", but asking shows you're a decent customer, not someone looking for a handout). At most, they'll probably charge you five bucks for one.

If you lived in my neck of the woods, I'd gladly provide you one off one in my junk pile if it fit. I usually keep a few junkers around for the occasional BIOS chip, CMOS battery, some jumpers, or a part like the heatsink you mention.

Yup, I could try that. However, I already purchased the zalman from newegg (suggested by justanengineer) and if it fails, I could try what you suggested. Now that you mentioned it, I'm gonna look around here (northern jersey) and see if I get lucky.

Thanks for the tip.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 am

MadManOriginal wrote:
I suggest going passive...the small fans on chipset or old VGA heatsinks are virtually guaranteed to wear out in not too long.

I don't think anyone on this thread was seriously suggesting a fan-based chipset cooler.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:11 am

just brew it! wrote:
MadManOriginal wrote:
I suggest going passive...the small fans on chipset or old VGA heatsinks are virtually guaranteed to wear out in not too long.

I don't think anyone on this thread was seriously suggesting a fan-based chipset cooler.

The OP himself did in post #9.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:45 am

MadManOriginal wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

The OP himself did in post #9.

In that same post he also said "I'll just remove the fan."

rekta
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:48 pm

I just got the package from newegg and I manage to put it in.

I used Arctic Silver 5 as my paste. I didn't have to use permanent epoxy thermal paste since the pins are aligned properly.

However, it wiggles. I know that its secured properly but it still wiggles when I try to twist (lightly) the heatsink.

The worst part is, it only reduced 10 Celsius. So now, it runs 60C (it was 70 before). When I ran prime95 for 15 minutes, it shoot up to 75C.

Could the TMPIN1 be the mosfet and I just mistakenly thought it was the Intel 945?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:15 am

It is OK if it wiggles a little, as long as it is being pressed down flat against the chip by the springs. How much thermal compound did you use? If you used too much, that could make the heastsink less effective.

rekta
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:44 am

just brew it! wrote:
It is OK if it wiggles a little, as long as it is being pressed down flat against the chip by the springs. How much thermal compound did you use? If you used too much, that could make the heastsink less effective.

I just used a little. I just spread it evenly as usual. The NB heatsink I put I believe works great as I noticed the heat spreads to the sink perfectly. However, I found something I didn't like :(

I touched the ATOM heatsink and it was HOT!! I can't believe I didn't even tried to do it before. I was blinded by Speedfan/Everest reporting Core 0 is like 45C+. When I touched it, it didn't feel 45, it was way hotter. I would say almost to hot too touch. Although maybe its normal that way because of the 50mmx20mm exhaust right beside it. Unfortunately, BIOS doesn't have any temp readings.

I actually don't know now. I held the mosfets and those are smoking hot as well. I strongly believe that TMPIN1 = mosfets.

I'll do some mods and try some mosfets sinks and see if it will improve that 70-75C TMPIN1.

Thanks!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:52 am

If you are doing all of this testing with the case open, that could be affecting the results as well. As paradoxical as it may seem, leaving the case open can actually raise the temperature of components, because the exhaust fan is no longer pulling cool air past them.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:17 am

Does the 300 look like the Zino HD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLBGNzYUYw8&t=02m30s
It looks pretty tight in there.

rekta
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:28 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Does the 300 look like the Zino HD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLBGNzYUYw8&t=02m30s
It looks pretty tight in there.

Yup, that is pretty much very similar. However, I think that is the Zino 400/410 which has an AMD processor with a nice looking heatsink. The heatsink of my Zino 300 is like a flat rectangle slab. How I wish my heatsink was something like the Zino 400! Also, the housing and everything are the same - its so tight! After putting the Zalman Heatsink, I won't be able to put a 3.5 HDD on it. It's actually fine since I'm using a 2.5 HDD which I put on top the that metal support (where the slim ODD should be). I just velcroed it :D

@just brew it!

Yup, opening the case will actually make the temp readings higher. So I did all my test while it was closed. On a side note, I ran prime95 for 15 hours straight and it was still fine. The Atom Core temp didn't even go over 53C. I'm still confused WTH is that TMPIN1 which hovers from 60C to 80C (yup it reached 80C max while running prim95). Aside from that, everything still works after a long stress test.

For now, I'll try to run it 24/7 for at least 3 weeks before I send it to my home country.

Thank you guys for your help!