Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

HD4850 doesn't always start with power on

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue:

About every 3rd 4rth time I do a cold boot, my graphics card simply doesn't start. The computer boots up into windows 7 fine, but the display is completely dead. I have my power button configured in Win 7 to execute "shutdown". So after waiting for a few min for windows to load with a dead display, I simply shutdown using the power button and then power on again and everything is fine. It never happens twice in a row. Has anyone else had these issues with AMD cards?

I have crossfired dual HD4850s and an Asus X48 motherboard. I did install a 3rd party bios (from a manufacturer other than that of my Visiontek radeons) so I'm wondering if this has something to do with it - but I can't remember if this ever happened with the original bios.

eliplan312
Gerbil

Re: HD4850 doesn't always start with power on

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:09 pm

Try re-installing the original BIOS? Something with the 3rd party BIOS seems to be the most likely cause.

Also, are you overclocking anything? I've had a similar issue (but only on 1 out of 2 screens) with a lower-end ATI card (4770) after upping the FSB (even with the PCI-e frequency locked).

michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Re: HD4850 doesn't always start with power on

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:25 pm

-Did you start having this issue after installing 3rd party BIOS? If so, try to roll back if possible.
-If you have crossfire, try running with a single card.
-Test your PSU.

I had an intermittent issue with screen going black for a few secs then back to normal. It turned out to be faulty card.