Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Flashlights!

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:03 pm

Nutmeg wrote:
Haha this discussion reminds me more of CRT vs LCD monitors more than anything! "oh yeah, I know these new things use a lot less power and are brighter and a lot lighter, but for my super professional studio colour image editing, really nothing beats a good £3000 30 inch CRT monitor man".

It matters if you're a professional photographer or graphic artist. You can get LCDs with decent color accuracy now, but they're still kind of pricey.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Nutmeg
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:49 am

Really, still? Huh.

But I was more jibing at people who do that stuff for a hobby yet are still massively elitist about it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:53 am

Nutmeg wrote:
Really, still? Huh.

But I was more jibing at people who do that stuff for a hobby yet are still massively elitist about it.

IMO hobbies are where *most* of the elitists hang out. People who do stuff for a living tend to be more pragmatic, because they're looking at the bottom line.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:15 am

Never thought of flashlights as a hobby, i just think they're awesome. At any rate, one of my friends pointed out that the light generated by the newest generations is hotter than any heat lost to the frame. That's beautiful actually but it makes me wonder where top level flashlights are headed. Shouldn't we cap out in efficiency in a short time here.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Each generation of LED is able to produce more light and use less power doing so, and is therefore relatively cooler. It will stop some time, but the next generation of LEDs are still moving forward. Cree's XM-L emitter does 100 lumens per watt up to about 1,000 lumens, whereas its slightly older XP-G does ~90 lumens per watt up to about 500 lumens.

EDIT several days later: Heat isn't an issue with the better lights. Many of them use very creative heatsink heads or have the entire flashlight body serve as a heatsink. Some of the smaller flashlights that don't have the surface area to dissipate heat are programmed to lower the output level if the light gets too hot.
Last edited by FireGryphon on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:31 pm

I'm loving the 30 dollar brinkman's I got from academy. Cheap, brighter than heck and light (3 AAA batteries, 120 odd lumens). got a lot of use out of it on my latest trip too, so I can say battery life is at least good.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:38 am

After many years, my trusty Maglite 4-CELL C White Star flashlight still comes through for me!

Who the HELL gets the 6-CELL D version? That's 19½ inches of evil there!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:44 am

thegleek wrote:
Who gets the 6-cell D version? That's 19½ inches of evil there!
"Why can't we all just get along?"

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:56 am

thegleek wrote:
After many years, my trusty Maglite 4-CELL C White Star flashlight still comes through for me!

Who the HELL gets the 6-CELL D version? That's 19½ inches of evil there!

The fun thing about flashlights these days is how much progress the technology has made. My Quark Mini is about 2.25" long and .5" in diameter, yet its beam is about 50% brighter than the 6D Maglite that checks in at just under 20" long and 2.25" diameter (this is using the current Maglite lamp specs, which are overrated to begin with). I can essentially rest my Quark Mini inside the head of the Maglite :D

A Maglite might make a better weapon, but there are large LED lights, too. The Fenix TK70 is only 16" long but weighs 769g (without batteries!) and outputs a whopping 2,200 regulated lumens for a tad under two hours. It can output 300 lumens for 15 hours. The TK60 (also 4D) does 800 lumens for over 4 hours.
Last edited by FireGryphon on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:04 am

It's also over 200 bucks according to google shopping. There's no freaking way I'm buying that.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 am

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:06 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
It's also over 200 bucks according to google shopping. There's no freaking way I'm buying that.

Yeah the Fenix TK70 is not cheap, but have you seen the Surefire UB3T Invictus @ $695.00??!?!?!? :o

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:11 am

thegleek wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:

Yeah the Fenix TK70 is not cheap, but have you seen the Surefire UB3T Invictus @ $695.00??!?!?!? :o

There's rumblings of a UB6T. Think it'll break $1k?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 am

My hard limit is like 40-50 bucks on a light. That buys good lights that last, no problem and doesn't cost a frigging arm and leg.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:57 am

Oh, you can get absolutely amazing lights for much less than that and still have way better lumen output, runtime, and reliability than run of the mill Maglites. The expensive stuff is only for the real enthusiasts, like the people who buy the Double Stuff workstation ;)

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:37 am

Speaking of which fenix's new e11 just might hit the spot for mr. non enthusiast. It uses 1aaa to get either 105 lumens or 35, and lasts 8 hours at 35. All while having a price tag of ~30$ shipped.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:27 pm

So then what's the CHEAPEST flashlight that has the CREE XM-L in it?

[SDG]Mantis
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:33 pm

thegleek wrote:
So then what's the CHEAPEST flashlight that has the CREE XM-L in it?

Probably something like the $35 Olight i1. That's a small, single-cell CR123-powered light. You can search the site referenced for XM-L and get a list of flashlights.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 am

The Fenix e11 is a step above what you'd get at a regular store but it is a low end light. Its build quality leaves something to be desired and its LED is off center, meaning the beam is not centered. An XM-L light like the Xeno E03 has superior build quality, also uses 1xAA, costs the same, but has a reverse clicky UI as opposed to the e11's forward clicky + head-tightening combo. Personally I'd go for the Fenix e21. It is longer to accommodate 2xAA but has the same UI as the e11 and is built better. The Fenix e11 and e25 are a bit of a let down given the good build quality of most of their other lights.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:34 pm

I have to hold off until I have money, but Zebralight is coming out with some ridiculously cool products. They already get an hour of 200 lumen light from an XM-L using a single AA battery, and the next round of lights will build on it. The circuits they make are crazy efficient. The SC80 can take both AA and CR123A battery sizes. You can use either one interchangeably. The Q50 will take 4xAA and ramp up to 800 lumens.

Exciting times for a flashaholic. I wonder how long the LEDs can last, as some lights these days are really pushing towards their limits.

thetheo
Gerbil In Training

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:52 pm

AMD Damo wrote:
Interesting topic actually, I'm after a decent small tac torch, I need them for looking underneath cars for damage at work. Looking into the first link.

We've all got these crappy $10 LED torches you get from anywhere and they all suck, goes through batteries very quickly, not very bright, small spread etc.

Fenix. The brightness is strong enough so that I can see the treetops two blocks away, and it is not expensive (compared to Streamlight). If needed, you can get multiple at one time without burden and prepare for your family.