Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

No iPod Classic? No iPod Shuffle?

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:16 am

TUAW: Apple may discontinue the iPod shufle and classic

That would be very stupid. Does Apple not realize that the Classic is the only MP3 player that has more than 64GB of storage space? If the Classic is replaced by a 128GB or 160GB iPod Touch, I can see that. Given current SSD prices, Apple will charge a fairly high price (say, $499 or $599) for that. Most people still balk at $299 for a 32GB iTouch and $399 for a 64GB iTouch, me included.

As for the Shuffle, Apple had better allow a $69 Nano (4-8GB) to happen given the current competition.

Unfortunately, Apple must be betting on this whole cloud thing. As for alternatives to the 160GB Classic, where are they?
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: No iPod Classic? No iPod Shuffle?

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:55 am

riviera74 wrote:
Unfortunately, Apple must be betting on this whole cloud thing.

Unfortunately??? Really? I have been using the 'cloud' for a few years now, utilizing "other software" and tricks to get my music and movie library to my devices on demand and its really nice not having to worry about space, and I have Terabytes of stuff. (Yes there is some buffering but once its going its great)

I dont understand why people are afraid of cloud computing. Now if you had said something about the price tag that Apple is putting on their version, yeah I balk at it. But if you do your research there are free alternatives, even for iDevices.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

themattman
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 am

This looks like another Apple attempt to move ahead before anyone else and try to ease consumers into the cloud for listening to music.

That being said, I still think that there should be an ipod classic for consumers who really do have a gigantic music collection that they want to bring around with them all the time, and the shuffle still fits a need for athletes who want to work out but not spend the extra cash for a nano.
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:54 am

themattman wrote:
This looks like another Apple attempt to move ahead before anyone else and try to ease consumers into the cloud for listening to music.

That being said, I still think that there should be an ipod classic for consumers who really do have a gigantic music collection that they want to bring around with them all the time, and the shuffle still fits a need for athletes who want to work out but not spend the extra cash for a nano.

Thank god for Craigslist... best place on earth to buy ipods. :lol:
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

End User

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:12 am

tanker27 wrote:
riviera74 wrote:

Unfortunately??? Really? I have been using the 'cloud' for a few years now, utilizing "other software" and tricks to get my music and movie library to my devices on demand and its really nice not having to worry about space, and I have Terabytes of stuff. (Yes there is some buffering but once its going its great)

I dont understand why people are afraid of cloud computing. Now if you had said something about the price tag that Apple is putting on their version, yeah I balk at it. But if you do your research there are free alternatives, even for iDevices.

I'm all for the cloud but I also want a substantial amount of music/video/podcasts on my device. If you travel it can be expensive to access the cloud and your bandwidth will be severely limited. Access to the cloud is never guaranteed.

End User

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:19 am

riviera74 wrote:
TUAW: Apple may discontinue the iPod shufle and classic

That would be very stupid. Does Apple not realize that the Classic is the only MP3 player that has more than 64GB of storage space? If the Classic is replaced by a 128GB or 160GB iPod Touch, I can see that. Given current SSD prices, Apple will charge a fairly high price (say, $499 or $599) for that. Most people still balk at $299 for a 32GB iTouch and $399 for a 64GB iTouch, me included.

As for the Shuffle, Apple had better allow a $69 Nano (4-8GB) to happen given the current competition.

Unfortunately, Apple must be betting on this whole cloud thing. As for alternatives to the 160GB Classic, where are they?

Lets wait for the announcement before we get worked up about it.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:22 am

iTunes reports that I have 3241 songs, which it claims is 8.2 days long. That fits into 13.11 GB. That easily fits on my iPod (1st generation video iPod).

How much music do you have that you don't think that you can fit it into 32 GB? I wish they were keeping the iPod Classic, since it's really the only iPod that I would get at this point. I only really want an MP3 player to play MP3s and the iPod classic is the cheapest way to do that with my storage requirements.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:30 am

tanker27 wrote:
riviera74 wrote:

Nothing against the cloud per say; but I do think it's unfortunate that you can't find a decent player with a ton of storage anymore. A lot of us, for example, work in places where we aren't allowed to have players with internet access; so all of my many gigabytes of music does me no good while I'm at work if it's on the cloud. Others work or even live in places where signal is bad. I like taking long hikes in places that don't necessarily have an available signal. So much for using the cloud there.

The cloud is great, but it's unfortunate that it's becoming the only option when it comes to large amounts of media.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:35 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
iTunes reports that I have 3241 songs, which it claims is 8.2 days long. That fits into 13.11 GB. That easily fits on my iPod (1st generation video iPod).

How much music do you have that you don't think that you can fit it into 32 GB? I wish they were keeping the iPod Classic, since it's really the only iPod that I would get at this point. I only really want an MP3 player to play MP3s and the iPod classic is the cheapest way to do that with my storage requirements.

Currently, I have about 34GB of music sitting on my hard drive right now. I also have a lot of CDs I would like to convert to lossless files (or at least VBR MP3s). That will push my music collection to at least 50-60GB and possibly more.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:53 pm

I kick myself every day for not buying a 64GB Zune HD for $200 from Buy.com the week they were canceled. Kick myself every day...

Long flights and vacations practically *demand* large-capacity MP3 players. Too hard to rely on cloud access during these times. The last thing I want to do on a flight is exhaust my cellphone battery listening to music. Did that once and almost ran out of juice to call my friends for a ride. Shame to think such beasts are going the way of the dinosaur.

I also use a Shuffle for running, and have done so for years. Don't want a screen, or the added weight of a Nano. The Shuffle is so durable, too, mind has been beaten and soaked and it will works like a charm.
x--x--x--x

Elsoze
Gerbil

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:28 pm

It's not just for music. it's awesome to be able to watch tv shows (compressed to not waste space).
Once I was stuck on a runway for like 2 hours waiting for something. I broke out my iPod and watched 5 episodes of The Office.

Though back to the music thing... I have ~140-150GB of music. Collected over the past 12 years or so. If I were to prune/purge I could probably get that down to half pretty easily. Just haven't needed to :)

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:01 pm

Spyder22446688 wrote:
I kick myself every day for not buying a 64GB Zune HD for $200 from Buy.com the week they were canceled. Kick myself every day...

I snagged a manufacturer refurb for $140 for just this reason and it works far better with my in car system than my iphone. Seeing as I drive a Ford with Sync might have something to do with it. ;)

I do like the fact that I have all of my music on it and it is only 60% full. I also rip my MP3s VBR at highest quality.

The unit? Not a scratch on it and it has been problem free for a year.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.