Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Wedge
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Video card issue or monitor?

Sat Apr 13, 2002 10:25 am

Just bought the ViewSonic A90f monitor.

I keep desktop at 800x600 and I bumped the refresh up to 100Hz. 85 is good enough but I do notice an improvement at 100.

Now, the issue that came up was a warping effect in Windows. All vertical
edges of a window warped inward if the window edge was located left side of the screen.
The right edge of a Window was fine because this "warping" didn't occur on the right side of the screen. It was only an issue on the left.
I eventually figured out that it was the refresh rate causing this so I slowed it down to 85Hz and all seems well; and at 75Hz the warping is removed completely.

My question is whether this is predominantly an issue with the monitor or
the video card?

I have 2 computers connected to the same monitor via an omnicube video
switcher.
Computer #1: Win98/VooDoo 5 PCI.
Computer #2: WinXP/GeForce2 GTS Ultra AGP.

Believe it or not the VooDoo/Win98 combination experienced much less warping than the XP/GeForce combo at the same refresh rate. That's why I am unsure of which component was unable to handle the 100Hz refresh: the more powerful XP/GeForce combo handled the stress much worse than the VooDoo5. I would have thought the opposite was true. But maybe this isn't a video card issue?

Was this a monitor or video card issue or both? If the video card got too
hot could this be the result?
Is it unsafe to use 100Hz on either card?

q_bot_w11
Gerbil

Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:36 pm

As it occurs with both, I doubt it's the video card. You got any magnets near the left side of your screen? Have you tried doing a degauss? If not, try dropping your monitor on the floor. Ok maybe not but I once I dropped an old 14 inch that used to turn purple or red every so often and it hasn't done it since.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:55 pm

Geometric distortions like that are why monitors have adjustments for rotation, pin balance, pincushion,keystone, etc.. Set the refresh at the frequency you want, then play with the monitor geometry adjustments till you are happy with the picture.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:26 pm

SecretSquirrel's suggestion is likely to work, and it is also safer than dropping your monitor on the floor. Imploding glass CRTs can be hazardous.

One suggestion on playing with the geometry settings: Start with the simplest ones first, or else you may end up with a really confusing "S" shape or similar. If you do get the screen twisted into an unusual shape, I believe that the Viewsonic monitor has a "reset to factory default" option that will undo your changes.

For a windows desktop, the A90f should look good at 1280x1024 at 80Hz refresh.

Wedge
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:07 am

q_bot_w11, no magnets near the monitor, and deguassing doesn't make a difference.

I'm tired of playing with the OSD contrls; so far, they haven't even come close to fixing this thing. Pincushion would be the thing to fix it IF it would work on one side only, but my works both sides simultaneously.

q_bot_w11 might be right. Thinking about dropping it. Doesn't sound scientific but who knows?

Oh well, it's only money, right?

ShaDoWBliTz
Gerbil

Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:11 am

Yeah check for magnets....also check your speakers because they have little magnets inside that CAN effect the monitor (it happened to me :D )