Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

I.T. & the Tablet

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Since tablets have come out I've decided in my own mind that I have no need for one. However, at the last I.T. conference I went to, damn near everybody there had one. I'm an I.T. Manager for a 150+ employee business and I'm just curious if anybody in my position has a tablet and:

What do you use it for at work?
What has it made easier for you?
What don't you like about it?
What tablet do you have?

I'm thinking about ordering one up but I don't want to spend $500 and have it sit in a drawer somewhere because I can't let go of my laptop.

Thanks!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Re: I.T. & the Tablet

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Corrado

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:00 pm

The main thing for WORK I use it for is remote desktop using LogMeIn. Other than that, as an MS Windows, RH Linux, and EMC SAN admin, I don't really have a need from a work perspective.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:23 pm

If tablets do manage to somehow take over they're going to need decent wireless keyboard peripherals and some kind of stand. Theres no way in hell im going to use a touchscreen keyboard for anything more than casual browsing.

I actually don't see tablets taking over from laptops, have people actually tried doing any serious work on a tablet? it is very cumbersome. I can see touchscreens becoming standard, but they won't be the primary input for text.

Topic Author

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:26 pm

I was looking at a Thinkpad Tablet with the keyboard w/ red nub. Looks like a nice setup, but not sure if it's worth giving up my X220 for.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:17 pm

The same is happening in the education industry. Schools are purchasing tablets left and right in order to help students achieve more, but the actual uses for them are far and few between with a tenuous-at-best positive impact on student learning. Basically, we all have them despite their uselessness. Could be the same in business.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III