Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Apps for kids

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:59 am

So my son is 9 months now, and I am looking for apps for the iPad that my hold his attention. While I do think he is probably a bit young right now the next three months will fly by and he will be 1.

So does anyone have any good ones to share? I have been trolling the app store and cant seem to find anything worth while.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Apps for kids

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 am

My wife got a bunch of different things my 3-year-old is fascinated with. I'll find out what's on her iPod and let you know. She's been fascinated with the iPod since she was your son's age (which even now she can't remember the name; it's "Mommy's little thing".)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:41 am

Thanks derFunk. My little one too is fascinated by it as he keeps grabbing my wifes iPhone. I suspect its the Pink Otterbox my wife has in it. But just the other day he was actually looking at the screen.

I had always stated that when the iPad 3 is released I would upgrade then re-purpose my original iPad for him. Hence the question.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:08 am

Apparently nothing of note. My daughter likes games with bright colors. Apparently her favorite ones right now are Fruit Ninja and Super Rope. She does have some sort of Sesame Street pop-up e-book type of app. And then there's stuff that you're probably not going to be interested in - a Dora Ballerina app, for instance.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:19 am

The iPad is a great time sink for kids if you're on the go. Does anyone have an idea for locking the app you're in? My boys are drawn to the only button on the front- the home button- and switching in and out of apps. Next thing you know, my son says "Dad, they're twisting" when he holds down an app icon until it switches into move icon/delete icon mode. If I could force them to stay in the one app that I choose them to use, I wouldn't constantly feel like I have to watch everything they do with it.

It's one of those things that make me think to myself "Surely someone has to have thought of this by now".

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:19 am

several layers of duct tape over the home button should work. :lol:

also, on the iPad make sure you're turning off the multitasking gestures (four or five fingers swipe left or right to swap apps, or four/five fingers up to reveal the running apps list).

Francine
Gerbil In Training

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:01 pm

My kids love Astroloquiz app. You can find it at itunes or I can send you the link, just send me pm. I just found it at itunes and since then, they are hooked on it. As a mom, of course I want it for them because it wasn't only entertaining, it was also educational. They also love the Futaba App. How about other moms here? What are the other apps your kids love?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:10 am

This place is a sausage fest - there are no moms on Tech Report. :lol:

But welcome! :D

Black Applesauce
Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:36 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
This place is a sausage fest - there are no moms on Tech Report. :lol:

But welcome! :D

I stifled a laugh when you said it's a sausage fest. :3

And again, welcome!
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
-Bill Gates

Lounis
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:53 am

Actually i don't think it's good way to use app to hold the baby's attention, maybe have a bad effect for him.

But if you really want to look for such kind of apps, you can search in Google. I did but i can't post the URL, you can search it by yourself.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:09 am

You can lock iPads on an app using access restrictions built into iOS. Once activated, it requires triple-clicking the home button to enable and disable this 'Guided Access' mode. Guided Access mode, when activated, disables the home button, and you can specify a bunch of other features or areas of the screen that are off limits.

Be warned, though. Research suggests that kids who consume too much media from devices like iPads have stunted physical and social development. I didn't keep the links to said articles, but it's enough that I'd really prefer my kids playing with building blocks, or other real toys that require actual interaction.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:47 am

FireGryphon wrote:
You can lock iPads on an app using access restrictions built into iOS. Once activated, it requires triple-clicking the home button to enable and disable this 'Guided Access' mode. Guided Access mode, when activated, disables the home button, and you can specify a bunch of other features or areas of the screen that are off limits.

Yup. Being doing that since my son was born. He has my old iPhone 3gs as serviceless cell phone. He loves having a real camera and pretending to be like Mom and Dad.

There are some decent Apps:
The LEGO DUPLO Train is a favorite
He likes Build-a-Bridge (not sure what the real name is)
Whatever the airport game is where you land the planes/helicopters and make them crash, I mean keep them from hitting

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:53 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Be warned, though. Research suggests that kids who consume too much media from devices like iPads have stunted physical and social development.

I've read/heard this also. Very easy to google search. I don't have kids yet (holding out as long as I can against my wife) but I won't be letting them use a tablet for many years. I've kept many of my childhood toys (ie: Lego collection) to give to them. For now, get him something like the Shape O to get that brain working.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:38 am

DPete27 wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
Be warned, though. Research suggests that kids who consume too much media from devices like iPads have stunted physical and social development.

I've read/heard this also. Very easy to google search. I don't have kids yet (holding out as long as I can against my wife) but I won't be letting them use a tablet for many years. I've kept many of my childhood toys (ie: Lego collection) to give to them. For now, get him something like the Shape O to get that brain working.

I'd argue there's a difference between passively consuming media (ie watching vidoes) and interactively playing games, especially one's that require logic or problem solving. Now I'm obviously not recommending sitting in front of electronics for a significant amount of time, but in moderation it can be educational and help with fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:37 am

I can't seem to find the stories to support what Usacomp2k3 said but he's right.

Videos are not good. There was a study that came out saying iPads, TV's and what no are bad for babies. The author then came out and said INTERACTIVE apps are not that bad and may be as "good as playing with blocks."

We have a 2 year old and there are Fisher Price apps all over the App Store that are great for kids. She also loves the PBS Kids app for videos, which we try to limit to a greater degree than the "interactive" apps.

EDIT: Found something about it. http://www.today.com/parents/surprise-d ... 2D79361986

Tonybados
Gerbil

SANTA SPY CAM

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:13 am

Ive got 5 nephews and a niece thats almost two, found out about this app call Santa spy cam...downloaded it....they were all running round the house like jumanji...told them all to gather round and for a good HOUR they were immersed in what i had just shown them and all thought i had santa and his elves on SPEED DIAL!!! SANTA SPY CAM is the show stopper this season and every season. TRUST ME, it stops jumanji stampedes!