Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Jon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

How to create info@domain email addresses in Exchange 2007

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 am

Hi all,

Does anybody know how to create non-user email addresses in Exchange 2007? What I am looking to do is create a variety of email addresses like [email protected], [email protected] and have those email addresses forwarded to various users on the internal network.

I'm a little baffled by the Microsoft terminology; in EMC I have the option of creating a few different types of email addresses: 'New Mailbox', 'New Mail Contact' and 'New Mail User', all of these except for 'New Mail Contact' seem to force the creation of a user within Active Directory which is not what I want. If I create a 'New Mail Contact' it doesn't allow me to forward the email to another AD user.

My understanding is that from Exchange 2007 you no longer had to create a generic user called 'info' with an associated email [email protected], there is supposedly some other method of doing this.

Anybody seen this or had experience with it?
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: How to create info@domain email addresses in Exchange 20

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 am

In Exchange 2010 you go to EMC - Recipient Configuration - Distribution Group - New Distribution Group - give it a name - add members to the group. Anybody e-mail sent to the distribution group then gets forwarded to everyone in the group.

Jon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:02 pm

So say I want to have one person respond with a [email protected] email address, there's no way to track who sent a reply if everybody in the distribution group received the email.

I think sticking to the one generic email account per AD account makes things more manageable. So for instance, [email protected] is forwarded to [email protected], then he manages the incoming and outgoing address.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:09 pm

I don't think there is anyway to notify the other people at your company that a reply was sent, but I've only been using Exchange for a year, so I'm still pretty green.