Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

iOS 5 Update with mysterious progress

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm updating my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 now. Part of the update includes wiping all the apps from the device and then restoring them. The way I know they're being restored is that there's a window that popped up that said, 'restoring apps', but there was no progress bar. It just sat there for a while. I thought it had frozen, but remained patient out of sheer curiosity. Happily, the update moved to the next phase, but I ask you, is a meaningful progress bar that much to ask from Apple, a company that prides itself (and rightfully so) on its hardware being easy to use?

Forgetting the fact that the bad dialogue box message is in iTunes, which is inexplicably horrible to use, does anyone else notice this about updating their iDevices?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: iOS 5 Update with mysterious progress

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:51 am

There's just something weird about this update. My wife's iPod updated fine but it wiped all her app data. Fortunately it backed up ahead of the restore and restoring the backup fixed it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:07 am

Yeah I can definitely say this update was screwy. (before I got my 4S) I update my 4 and while it stated it backed up up my phone and would restore it I lost everything, photos, contacts, etc. I am thinking it may be the my fault as I was rushing through it but now I am thinking it wasnt. Anyways when I went to update my wife's 4 this past sunday everything went smoothly and without issues. The only two differences in both updates were I did mine on release day and on a MBP and my wife's was done 3 days later on a Windows 7 laptop.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:29 am

Tanker, you and my wife have release day in common. Hers was on a Win7 laptop and lost everything, too, so I doubt it's a Windows/Mac issue; more of a "Apple's servers were f'ing overloaded with the release of iOS5, iTunes 5, and Lion 10.7.2 all on the same day" issue.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:45 am

For my iPhone 4, it borked on restoring the auto-backup that it takes when updating, luckily I had a manual backup handy.
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

hiro_pro
Gerbil

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:01 am

my wife an i both have (had) iphone 3gs. my update was a disaster. somehow the update created a 24 GB mystery file (the same size as the data on my phone). then it tried to load all my data and the mystery/shadow file. i was not surprised when it failed to get all 48 GB on my 32 GB phone. i will leave out the analogies that i am dying to include. i had to backup and restore the phone. that worked surprisingly well. i didn't lose any data. i just had to wait an hour while it transferred 24 GB at sub USB 1 speeds.

the wife's phone didnt go smoothly but it went better than mine.

all-in-all i would say iOS 5 was worth it. i like the free texting between iphones and the pull down menu.

then 4 days later i got the iphone 4s so i could talk dirty to siri. i think she likes it. for those that wonder it took about a third the time to load songs and apps on the new phone.
i7-930, GA-X58A-UD3R, Crucial MX100 512GB, 2 TB WD Black *2 mirror, ATI 5850 1 GB, 12GB (3*4GB)
Nikon D600, Tamron 24-70 & 70-200 2.4 VC, Nikon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Sigma 35 1.4

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Mine worked just fine. It restored all apps, photos, notes, etc. Although the sync duplicated my notes and wiped my spotify data... so that was 18GB that had to be resynced over wireless, but the spotify thing was expected.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:54 am

hiro_pro wrote:
then 4 days later i got the iphone 4s so i could talk dirty to siri. i think she likes it.

HAHAHA....at least I'm not the only one. I am actually surprised at some of the responses I get, the programmers of Siri did one hell of a job anticipating what Joe Shmo would be asking of her. Coincidentally, you can start reciting movie lines and Siri will chime in with the exact responses!

hiro_pro wrote:
for those that wonder it took about a third the time to load songs and apps on the new phone.

the A5 chip is blazingly fast for the phone! I thought it was insane on an iPad its at ludicrous speeds on the 4S.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!