Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

frank318
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Samsung 46" LCD TV w/ Dark area on left side?

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:22 pm

I Have a Samsung LCD 46" Model LNT 4669FX/XAA about a year ago I had the classic power issue everyone had called had a tech come out and he replaced the power board (which had the bad Capacitors) with a new one and $450 later everything was fine. I didn't learn about everyone having this issue till...

the current problem happened......About 4 months ago the tv started showing a dark/black area on the left side when the tv would start up and would go away after about 10 mins. You could see the picture there if it was a light scene on the show but a dark or night scene would be black. This continued got worse and is now across have the screen and always there. When I started doing research and finding out about the Capacitors I checked the power board and sure enough I had at least one visibly bad capacitor. After replacing to of the capacitors on the board (same area as everyone else's) nothing change. Called Samsung got no where and read here about a few similar cases.

Any ideas? It is not the the lights being I can see a picture. I read there may be a T- Conn card issue because of heat maybe thats the one? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
F

cb2100
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung 46" LCD TV w/ Dark area on left side?

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:02 am

Have you gotten a reply or found a fix to this issue by chance? I am having the exact same issue but am having trouble finding an answer or solution...

bswest
Gerbil In Training

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:07 pm

I have the same problem and desparately need to know what is causing this. All I got from Samsung was that there must be something wrong with it. Has anyone received any help or suggestions?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Check out the Samsung sticky thread at the top of this forum.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:52 pm

ludi wrote:
Check out the Samsung sticky thread at the top of this forum.

It doesn't seem to be the same.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:58 pm

I would figure that you most likely have a failing backlight in that area of your TV. Most LCD use an array of lightbars behind the screen to light it up so you can see the picture, and it sounds like one of them has gone bad. I would figure with it being out of warranty your pretty much out of luck unless you can find a shop that can repair it for you which may or may not be possible depending how they have the backlights installed.

Leasey
Gerbil In Training

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Hey Guys,

I think i'm having the same problem - I have a Samsung LCD TV ( LE46A558P3FXXU ). It is out of warranty.

About 3 months ago, upon switching it on, the whole screen would come on normally apart from 3inches on the left hand side - which would stay dark, then after a minute or so would flicker into life (like it needed a minute to warm up - a bit like when you turn on strip lighting).
There's an image under the dark patch, but if the image moves or changes it leaves a residual image behind for a few seconds, creating a blur.
It annoyed me a bit, but after a minute or so the dark side of the screen would wink into life and i'd have a normal picture for as long as the tv was left on.
Over the 3 months it has progressively got worse - it would take like 15minutes to light up.
Now it basically stays dark all the time.

I found this clip on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJF2wmNZZ78 which is pretty much what mine looks like, but on the left hand side of the screen.

It's definately not the same problem as the 'power on problem' that's discussed in the other thread though.

Anyone had any joy with this problem? The youtube page had some comments suggesting it was from 'three ribbon cables that make their connection in that area. you can go in and try to reseat all three connectors behind the foil sheilding tape' - but i don't know what that means!

kstimpfl
Gerbil In Training

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:33 am

Mine is getting worse.
Last edited by kstimpfl on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Castlkr
Gerbil In Training

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:04 pm

This thread has been very helpful for me as our television is having the same problem. Can you tell me where you purchased the power board from? We have been trying to find one at a decent price and it sounds like you got a pretty good deal. Thanks!

Castlkr
Gerbil In Training

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:58 pm

We purchased a replacement power supply board and installed it very easily. Unfortunately, it didn't solve our problem and the darkness on one side is still there.

manofsteel084
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 am

Any word about this? I noticed the left half of my screen is dark....looking for any solution!