Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Recently bought a PS3 and it has been awesome

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 pm

I recently bought a PS3 and honestly I should have done so a long time ago. I've connected it to my 27inch 1920x1080 monitor and have been having a blast. I'm gonna say a ton of controversial stuff about what I've found:

1) Since I am joining the PS3 party 6-7 years late, there are a host of really good games on the market I haven't gotten around to playing that are dirt cheap. Absolutely dirt cheap grade A games. Plus they are all resellable without having to deal with DRM, activation codes, etc etc which is awesome

2) The games are gorgeous. I realize certain PC games outdo what consoles can provide, but on average, I've found at least the 3 games I've been playing to be far superior or at the least comparable to 90% of all PC games I've played. Which is a real surprise. Killzone 2 was gorgeous, FFX13 is absolutely gorgeous as well. Sure I wish I could turn up antialiasing on certain parts but whatever you know. Not every PC game is crysis 2; there are a lot of torchlights, l4ds, and titan quests out there and not so many on the PS3. For midrange PC games that are also on consoles, they are about the same or even slightly favor consoles imo.

3) Starting a game has no setup. It just goes and it just works without needing a patch right away.

4) My carpal tunnel is resolving. Oh man my carpal tunnel is resolving.

5) My room is much cooler as my 300W gaming PC doesn't need to be on unless I want to use my headphones and even then its on idle mostly

6) I can involve my girlfriend who's last video game played was frogger. She tried L4d2 on my PC and failed, but is looking forward to console games like ratchet and clank, nba live, etc etc And all she needs to do is buy a controller and come over unlike most PC games where you have to buy your own high end rig to play multiplayer.

7) But really the best thing is the games. I signed up for a gamefly test run which lets me rent expensive games. I figure I'll buy the cheap games I want to play and rent expensive new releases (as I get more and more down my PS3 playlist). There is no such option with PC games. I mean, gee can you imagine how awesome steam would be if you could rent a game like BF3 or COD MW3 or something for a reasonable price??? With your PS3 you can walk down to a redbox and pick up brand new releases for like a dollar a day! I'm very excited and will say to anyone who's telling themselves "let me clear out my PC playlist first before I jump over to consoles" or "consoles have nothing to offer me" that they are dead wrong and its very very enjoyable, cheap and affordable with the right setup.
i7 2600k @4.4 ghz 1.26v - GA-P67X-UD3 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz - Evga Geforce GTX 570 - 2x 120gb Vertex 3 Raid-0 - Seagate Barracude 1.5TB - Silverstone FT02- HP 2709M Monitor

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Recently bought a PS3 and it has been awesome

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:34 pm

Get the first two Uncharted games. They're a lot of fun. Personally, I enjoyed Uncharted 1&2 more than Gears of War, though I played Gears on PC. You should be able to get them for fairly cheap.

Starting someone who hasn't played video games on Left4Dead was probably not a good idea. Left4Dead is fast paced, which is difficult when you don't understand the controls very well. Additionally, Left4Dead is incredibly gruesome. I don't think that most women see Left4Dead and think that it looks like a lot of fun. I generally try to introduce women to games with more casual games. The game that I often use is "Cultris" (multiplayer tetris). Tetris is easy to understand and requires only a few buttons. The multiplayer makes it much more exciting and allows you both to be involved.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:28 am

Lol it was campaign on the easiest setting. Anyway it just wasn't for her. There really aren't a lot of PC multiplayer games where 2 people can play on the same PC.
i7 2600k @4.4 ghz 1.26v - GA-P67X-UD3 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz - Evga Geforce GTX 570 - 2x 120gb Vertex 3 Raid-0 - Seagate Barracude 1.5TB - Silverstone FT02- HP 2709M Monitor

cheapFreeAgent
Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:26 am

I never touch PS2/3 or any console, but since two weeks I am staying at my cousins and they have PS3 so I play some of the games and I have been enjoying playing Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 and watch my cousin playing Uncharted 1, that game is so amazing (for 2007 game) that I envy there is no PC version of it. But again it is developed specially for Sony PS3.
I tried play FPS games like Crysis and Uncharted but I really suck with the PS controller playing those kind of games.

Today morning he asked me "Have you checked the rating of Uncharted 3 bro ???"
well.. :cry:

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:58 am

PS3? Grab the God Of War Collection (GoW 1+2 from PS2 ported to the PS3), and then get God Of War 3.

If you're a fan of certain, uh, chemical, um... "visual aids", then the Modern Warfare 1 and 2 SP campaigns are really, really fun while, err... "visually aided". ::cough::

Metal Gear Solid 4. Note that this game can also serve as a "visual aid".

If you like games in the "frustratingly difficult yet tauntingly fair" genre, try Demon's Souls. I mostly bring it up because I generally dislike "difficult for the sake of difficult" games (like Ninja Gaiden stuff), but I really got into Demon's Souls. Maybe rent it and see? If you get too pissed off after, say, an hour, it's probably a sure bet that you might just not enjoy the game.

Anyway, I'm tired and can't think of others at the moment.

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:56 am

Sunburn74 wrote:
3) Starting a game has no setup. It just goes and it just works without needing a patch right away.

Which PS3 world are you living in that this is the case? See this article on Ars Technica. This has been the case with pretty much every game I've played recently. I picked Dark Souls up when it was released. The game necessitated a 15 minute install and a 5 minute patch download one my first attempt to play. The copy of the HD re-release of the Prince of Persia games I received from Gamefly required a 15 minute installation process. Uncharted, God of War 3, the God of War Collection, and Infamous 3 all had a lengthy installation and multiple patches that needed to be downloaded and installed before I could play them. Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3. It sees more use than 360 does (which is partly due to MS's inability to reinstate my Live account after it got hacked recently, but I digress). But, Sony really needs to do something about the firmware/mandatory install/patching issues that plague the platform at the moment.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:29 am

The best way to get your girlfriend involved with a game is to go out and buy - RIGHT NOW DO IT DAMMIT - You Don't Know Jack. It's trivia, sure, but it's funny and smart and thoroughly addictive. It's about the only game my wife will play with me, and she stomps my ass - not sure if that's causal or coincidental.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:47 am

I have both a PS3 and an XBox 360. I prefer the 360's controller and XBox live beats PS3 Network hands down. But I have to say, in the past few years, I have begun enjoying the PS3 more and more. Mostly because of the games. Uncharted 1&2 (espectially 2) are the best adventure games ever made on any platform. Killzone 3 is one of my favorite FPS games on any platform.

In fact, I'm sort of at a crossroads. I've been doing my best to pay off all of my debts. I have one year left and I am very happy about this. It means that I very seldom splurge on anything. Well, I now have around $300 that I was going to earmark for a new video card for my PC. But I've come to the realization I hardly ever play games on the PC anymore. It's certainly more than capable, even with its relatively old GTX275 video card, it's just that I've really started to come around to the consoles and the mouse+keyboard thing has become less and less of a barrier for me.

So, I am probably going to put off the video card and use the money to buy games for the consoles. I want to get Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, Skyrim, and a whole host of others that I'll buy after they drop a few bucks. I may even buy Battlefield 3 for XBox rather than for the PC.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:36 am

Playstation has awesome games for sure, but I decided a long time ago to never again buy a sony product after having a number of their products break/fail after a few weeks if use. Plus I despise their controllers.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:47 am

Sunburn74 wrote:
1) Since I am joining the PS3 party 6-7 years late, there are a host of really good games on the market I haven't gotten around to playing that are dirt cheap. Absolutely dirt cheap grade A games. Plus they are all resellable without having to deal with DRM, activation codes, etc etc which is awesome

Companies are starting to get around that by making you use one-use codes to register your game to your username in order to play multiplayer. But yeah, much easier to resell overall.

Sunburn74 wrote:

You'll find a few in your travels that will make you unhappy. Consoles turned into PCs in that regard.

Sunburn74 wrote:
4) My carpal tunnel is resolving. Oh man my carpal tunnel is resolving.

The way my wife plays consoles, it actually messes her hand/wrist/tendon/forearm up more. But good that you're gettin' a rest!

Sunburn74 wrote:
6) I can involve my girlfriend who's last video game played was frogger. She tried L4d2 on my PC and failed, but is looking forward to console games like ratchet and clank, nba live, etc etc And all she needs to do is buy a controller and come over unlike most PC games where you have to buy your own high end rig to play multiplayer.

Dude, don't you have any other friends? Just buy a second controller for whoever comes over. Do people really do that? Hey, come over to play some games, p.s. bring your own controller? Just doesn't seem right or spontaneous, either. I can see that for dedicated steering wheels or fighting game joysticks. Also, if you use it for playing bluray, I recommend getting the remote control. Handy thing, that.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:05 am

I just bought a PS3 myself as well as finally I had enough games to purchase to make it worthwhile (am primarily a PC gamer).

My collection at the moment is:
-Ico / Shadow of the Colossus HD (was the reason I purchased the PS3)
-Fifa 12
-GT5
-Demon Souls

Future purchases:
-Uncharted 1,2,3
-Dark Souls

Between Demon Souls and SotC/Ico the thing is worth it alone. As a blue ray player (if you don't already have one) it is fantastic.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 am

G'huh? Shadow of the Colossus has been ported to the PS3? How did I miss that?!?

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 am

SPOOFE wrote:
G'huh? Shadow of the Colossus has been ported to the PS3? How did I miss that?!?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... t-buys.ars

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:37 am

Demons Souls looks like an amazing game. Wish it were playable on the PC but its not. But it has everything I'm looking for: good story, amazing enemies, difficulty and absolutely no pandering.

Shadow of the colossus is a game everyone has to play at least once. Conquering those beasts is highly satisfying, yet I always felt kinda sad when I took one down.

I do have friends who game but I'm starting to reach the age where its not so cool to have them come over to game with me. Plus they can just play online and join my games on their own PS3s. With a girlfriend who's a non gamer its different. She'll only game if its with me in the room.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:42 am

I love my pc but my ps3 is my console of choice honestly(own em all) Uncharted 2, and soon 3 FTW!!!!

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:23 pm

SPOOFE wrote:

Only missed it by a few weeks. :)
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Sunburn74 wrote:
Demons Souls looks like an amazing game. Wish it were playable on the PC but its not. But it has everything I'm looking for: good story, amazing enemies, difficulty and absolutely no pandering.

Shadow of the colossus is a game everyone has to play at least once. Conquering those beasts is highly satisfying, yet I always felt kinda sad when I took one down.

I do have friends who game but I'm starting to reach the age where its not so cool to have them come over to game with me. Plus they can just play online and join my games on their own PS3s. With a girlfriend who's a non gamer its different. She'll only game if its with me in the room.

I actually have to say after all the hype I read about Demon Souls being "difficult" it is really actually pretty straightforward. I mean you die a couple of times the first time you load it up, but you know why. I've so far killed 6 arch demons and have died about once a level since getting past the first level. Basically you start XPing and item hoarding up and the game opens up a lot and quickly. The exploration, combat and game mechanics are what make it compelling. Notwithstanding the intriguing story. I wouldn't classify it as any more difficult that the Witcher on normal. You need to use the right tactics on different enemies. Once you know what works it's pretty simple. I was expecting some sort of EVERY monster is impossible type thing after all the BS reviews I read.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:12 pm

It seems like I should actually start playing something again.

For the last few months, it has been solely music, picture slideshow and movie hub - with a little internet search/music streaming thrown in the mix.

I bought my son a refurbished PSP-go, so no need to actually play a game anymore . . . . until the next Final Fantasy comes out (that's not an MMORPG)
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:27 pm

yogibbear wrote:
Sunburn74 wrote:

I actually have to say after all the hype I read about Demon Souls being "difficult" it is really actually pretty straightforward. I mean you die a couple of times the first time you load it up, but you know why. I've so far killed 6 arch demons and have died about once a level since getting past the first level. Basically you start XPing and item hoarding up and the game opens up a lot and quickly. The exploration, combat and game mechanics are what make it compelling. Notwithstanding the intriguing story. I wouldn't classify it as any more difficult that the Witcher on normal. You need to use the right tactics on different enemies. Once you know what works it's pretty simple. I was expecting some sort of EVERY monster is impossible type thing after all the BS reviews I read.

It's a game with a very steep learning curve. Once you learn the levels and the mobs, it's pretty easy running. Quite a bit of the difficulty depends on the class you're playing too, especially in Dark Souls. I initially tried a run as a Pyromancer. After being murdered numerous times shortly after leaving the tutorial area I gave up and switched to the Knight. I've beaten the 4th Archdemon, Capra if I remember correctly, and have died a grand total of 187 times. My problem currently is that the sewers I am in contain these basilisk things. They breath gas at you and curse you. When you die while cursed, you respawn with only 50% of your hit points. The purge stone required to cleanse your curse costs 4000 souls. Going back to the sewers to get my corpse back is a no go, as dying again while cursed will net you a respawn with only 25% of your hitpoints (the reduction continues until you're left with only 6% of your hp btw). So I now how to grind my way around the earlier areas of the game until I've collected 4000 souls so that I can buy the purgestone, cleanse the curse, and then go back to the sewers to possibly get cursed again. It's slightly frustrating. I'm taking a break and playing through Uncharted on Crushing difficulty instead. Much easier.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:10 am

BuddhistFish wrote:
yogibbear wrote:
Sunburn74 wrote:

It's a game with a very steep learning curve. Once you learn the levels and the mobs, it's pretty easy running. Quite a bit of the difficulty depends on the class you're playing too, especially in Dark Souls. I initially tried a run as a Pyromancer. After being murdered numerous times shortly after leaving the tutorial area I gave up and switched to the Knight. I've beaten the 4th Archdemon, Capra if I remember correctly, and have died a grand total of 187 times. My problem currently is that the sewers I am in contain these basilisk things. They breath gas at you and curse you. When you die while cursed, you respawn with only 50% of your hit points. The purge stone required to cleanse your curse costs 4000 souls. Going back to the sewers to get my corpse back is a no go, as dying again while cursed will net you a respawn with only 25% of your hitpoints (the reduction continues until you're left with only 6% of your hp btw). So I now how to grind my way around the earlier areas of the game until I've collected 4000 souls so that I can buy the purgestone, cleanse the curse, and then go back to the sewers to possibly get cursed again. It's slightly frustrating. I'm taking a break and playing through Uncharted on Crushing difficulty instead. Much easier.

Hmm..... well I picked a Thief cause I thought having lots of "Luck" would be useful. Though it was more useful once I stopped putting heavy armour on myself and started rolling around everywhere and building up my endurance (i think this is my favourite stat to increase). I am pretty early into it (have the Crescent Falcion +1 and the Adjudicator's Shield as my main getup, with Leather Armour (default) [ditched my purchased steel plate as it meant I couldn't roll attack anymore and kept running out of stamina to block and swing my sword]. I really just am trying to upgrade my gear at the moment as it's all still pretty stock.

I also always forget that I don't need the Cling Ring while in human form and could change it out for something actually useful...

Basically my **** equipment is pretty nice as it gives me both HP and mana regen and I'm a thief so I do tonnes of DEX bonus dmg. But can still spam spells when in a tight spot and don't need to buy any of those mana potions. (Plus my high luck means I literally am a walking chemist when it comes to HP nibblies).

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:24 pm

I bought my PS3 Slim in the fall of 2009 shortly after they came out and I like it quite a bit. I was also able to pick up some older games that I wanted cheap and enjoyed the experience. It also serves as my machine for playing Blu-ray movies and it does a good job of DVD upconversion. Several months later I picked up an Xbox 360, and while I must say that I do prefer it for gaming because I find the controller bigger and more comfortable in general, I don't really game a whole lot anymore and my PS3 still gets the most use.