Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: A fresh look at the Hackintosh.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 am

Weirdness. My X58 has been my Hackintosh reference platform since the mid 10.6 days. Before that I used my EP35 with great success. I've been meaning to get a 10.7 install going on my X58, maybe I'll do that so I can be more helpful.

Maybe useful:

Big Box
Core i7-920
24GB DDR3
Gigabyte EX58-UD5
GeForce 8800GT (Mac version, reflashed to standard ROM), later GeForce GTX 260
various HDDs
BD burner (does ****-all under OSX)
USB keyboard and mouse (have an Apple KB+mouse for when I'm feeling lazy, but haven't needed them)

Installed 10.6.3 stock, used the ancient Kabyl-Bumby boot123 install, custom DSDT and vanilla install. Finally killed it with a careless Software Update.

I have an H57 Dell. It's supposed to work. Never had any luck.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Heh, careless software updates are my favorite kind. I've killed all sorts of Hackintosh installs taht way. That's what I like about iBoot/Multibeast (or in the case of my Lion install, rBoot + a recovery partition created by xMove + Multibeast). Everything "custom" winds up in the /Extra folder and the main System and Library folders are left intact. The only problem is I can't get Lion to boot up with the 64-bit kernel/extensions. It just...stalls...and stalls...never to boot. -v shows me that a ton of extensions have dependency issues (maybe I should check them into AA). So 32-bit it is. Not a huge deal, considering Apple allows 32-bit kernel to run 64-bit apps and access all 8GB of my RAM, unlike 32-bit Windows.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:37 pm

well I've done my inventory.. I have a nice GIGA board, so been backing up all my data so I can move my 2008R2 to an Asus P5K-E/E6600, hopefully I won't need to reinstall the OS.. so that leaves my Q9450/6GB/GTX460 1GB for the hackintosh.. should go a lot smoother this time..

Tomorrow we shall see, still waiting on my manual backup of 700GB to finish lol
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:50 pm

That GTX460 may be doing you more harm than good, especially if you're trying to install Snow Leopard rather than Lion. Fermi support was rather shaky until quite recently.

Do you have something older you can borrow for an hour or two? I keep my 8800GT precisely for Hackintoshing.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Forge is on point. Lion has a kext for Fermi support, but Snow Leopard doesn't - it's got drivers available from nVidia as long as your FakeSMC gives you a Mac Pro designation.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:11 am

yeah, I'm going to use a 9600GT for the install.. once Lion is up and running I'll mess with getting the 460 to work. I also realised I need to pick up a DVD for this box lol, somehow my stockpile is non-existant. First things first though, need to move my server OS disk to the other box and get it up and running, then xfer the rest of the drives, then I'll pour a Jameson and start work on the hackintosh. I may even make it my primary workstation till SWTOR comes out.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:52 am

DVD? You don't need one of those. ;p

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:55 am

Forge wrote:
DVD? You don't need one of those. ;p

Yeah I know i don't need for the install, but going forward would be good to have.. also, if the install borks, can use rBoot cd 8)

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:09 pm

well my Snow Leopard VM won't stop locking up, so it looks like i'll need to use the iBoot CD + SL DVD to get her up and running.. I think I may get basic SL up, then use that the create the Kakewalk Lion USB installer... my daughter went and dug out my Mac KB and mouse, told me "wouldn't be proper without..", brought a tear to my eye lol :D

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:11 pm

geez, using GIGA board, no PCIRootUID=1. no -x.. got my server back up easily, now doing SL... so far so good... must be the 12 yr old Jameson apeasing the Gods :P

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:47 pm

I keep forgetting about the 9600 GSO I mean to use. It's no loss to any other machine, and hopefully works as compatibly as similar cards... hope I can find where I put it. I perhaps should mention I got over 20 screens of information when using the -v, and not merely 5 as I had thought. More experience, less looking away taught me that. Too much bloody information, though. If there was a way to copy that output to a text file maybe it would be of some value to someone, but not much to me. I notice a couple of bugs it mentions near the time it gets near the end, which is always peculiar.

But my situation would be improved if I could find a place which looked like it had more recently done this sort of thing and was still active. I'd like to know how to make whatever changes I have to make to get it working on my less-than-fully-compatible hardware.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Yeah, a 9600GSO should work REALLY well.

Most of the text you get in -v is just a list of kexts loaded from /system/library/extensions. You don't get very useful information until the last couple of screens starting with the Mach kernel.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:17 pm

And even then, some of those "errors" are known, expected, and sometimes even normal! Few Mac users know enough to bring up the verbose boot, much less troubleshoot it.
Last edited by Forge on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Righto. The big thing is where kexts fail to load for video and the dreaded "Still waiting on root device" infinite stall.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:15 am

Victory is mine!

using the kakewalk lion USB installer, was crazy smooth.. updated to 10.7.2 right away, then only had to enable the audio kexts.. my GTX460 worked right away as well..

My next mission will most likely to buy a GIGA P55 board, so I can use my i7 and 16gb of ram. For now though, having fun exploring Lion :)

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:12 pm

After my ~26 hours of no service... it's good to have my TV, net, &c. working again.

Anyway, I think it was an error for me to get Snow Leopard instead of Lion. I can't find that damned 9600GSO anywhere, and it would be a source of extra heat if I installed it along side the GTS 450 anyway. The easiest notion is just get the Lion disc for ~$30 and run that since it knows about most if not all of my current hardware. Fewer labors that way, too.

But oops, there is no Lion disc that I can find. Only a $69 USB thumb drive. Sheesh.

Oh well. Anybody want to buy a Snow Leopard disc? :wink:

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:32 pm

I am too broke to buy your SL disc, but I can tell you how to make a Lion DVD very easily. You do need a working Mac to make the purchase and burn the DVDR, though. It's single layer these days, though, so much less trouble than it was.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:21 pm

If I had a working Mac, I wouldn't be going through this stuff. And I think I could just download the upgrade or something, couldn't I?

The $69 is just enough to annoy me though. It means... I'll probably see what I can figure out, by reading where ever I can find, though I have yet to understand the odd format of the SL disc which I can't seem to read until the boot disc I burned is looking at it. And I assume I have to find a way to add the kext stuff to what's on the SL disc, some bloody how.

Apple is starting to remind me why I never liked them. You have to pay the bastages an amount of money so that you can get credentials to be able to produce programs that will run on their hardware. 8^!!#^(+3%$.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Not the post I meant to reply to, anyways. Stupid fingers, stupid mouse.

Ehm. Err. I'm trying to say, without saying. It's easy to acquire Lion without paying, but to remain forum-compliant, you'd have to purchase the software at some point....

And from a fairly long-term Hackintosher, it's well-worth it to get one 'token Mac' that can generate new install media for your Hackintoshes. A low-end Mac Mini would do fine. I would have had a heck of a time getting going without my venerable iMac. Also, in case of all going wrong, it lets you have one machine that can be reloaded with OSX with minimal effort.

If no Macs are available, you can generally crash a Mac User Group meeting and ask around discreetly. As long as you make it clear that money will be going to Caesar and you're not trying to gouge Apple out of their HARD-WON DOLLARS, most Mac users are friendly enough sorts. Geh, felt dirty just typing that.

I'd offer to have you post off a thumb drive and I'd post it back with OSX on it, but often you need to reapply the boot mechanism (EasyBeast, etc) a few times to get things Just So.

The thumb drive will also appear blank, just like the installer DVD, until you're running OSX or Linux. Windows just doggedly ignores the heck out of HFS partitions.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:12 pm

I admit I never much looked into optical disc technology past the first year or two I began using it (and writing CD's was a PITA back then), but I could swear they all were similar and in my view all OS discs should be readable and bootable from a system starting up. But that would make things too easy, obviously.

If I could get an apparently screwed up video card I have working properly, I would be able to take my 8800 GT and use it at least temporarily to see whether that allows me to make progress with the Hackintosh. But it appears to be unable to recognize what it is for whatever reason, so I'll have to do something else it seems, which would appear to mean rummaging around forums looking for info on how to produce a special DVD with the changes to make my hardware able to support a Hackintosh.

I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible because it looks like my winter beater car is going to have to be replaced in the next several months, and that probably will cost me a lot more than I want. But even though I argue and complain, I do appreciate the advice. Thanks.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:08 pm

Get an iBoot ISO, burn it to a CD. Boot from that disc and when you get to a boot menu, swap out your discs and hit F5. After a few seconds, your Snow Leopard DVD shoudl show up in the list and you can boot off of it. An 8800 GT should just start up without any special drivers but the ones built in.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:29 am

I received my P55-USB3 board yesterday, and I am up and running on Lion 10.7.2.. all is working out of the box (Kakewalk installer). Using the GTX460 1GB now, have to do a backup, then attempt to get the GTX580 working.

Whats the easiest way to point the user folder structure to a different drive? Once I've got everything running (I've taken a good set of notes), I'll be redoing the whole install using some SSD's. Going to set it up so I can dual-boot manually via BIOS between OSX on a single SSD and Win 7 on RAID SSD.

On a separate note, VM Fusion is awesome! Being able to run IE or any other Windows app is very slick!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Finally found my 9600GSO (lying in the box for the GTS 450 which replaced it), so I'll probably be testing that in the next several days.

I still need a decent Gigabyte board for my C2D 6400 so I can quit playing around with my main machine on this Hackintosh business. And then I'll need a bigger desktop. :)

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Thought I'd update on my latest travails. :wink:

I found a Gigabyte mobo, a GA-EP45-UD3R, for use with my C2D 6400, but now can't find the CPU. I swear I need to see a doctor over my memory lapses. I thought I put it in the box it came in, but there's nothing but the heatsink in there.

But I decided to test the 9600GSO anyway, and as expected it worked like a charm on my i7-930/Evga FTW3 mobo, and I was able to install Snow Leopard. I've forgotten, though, whatever has to be done so I won't have to keep using the iBoot disc. It's somewhere in here or a linked site, so I'll find and read it again and hopefully get it going. I noticed SL only thinks the system has ~4 GB, oddly.

Another problem I think I'll end up having, though, is that I can't see the hard disk that OS X is on (how does one say that, BTW? I assumed it was OS "ten" since it was the next one after 9.x, but don't recall having ever heard it uttered, and the X is a change from the previous Indian/"Arab" enumerations, so...) from Windows, so I can't format its other partitions for use under Windows as originally intended (I have 4 drives in my case already, and that's the limit, so I got the 2 TB drive to get rid of a couple of the smaller ones). Maybe I can do it using an Ubuntu disc, though.

Anyway, thanks for the help and info everyone has put in this thread. It's very useful for people like me who have no familiarity with Apple machines.

(Edited to correct motherboard's model number.)
Last edited by Ragnar Dan on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:11 am

Dan - grab MultiBeast. Once you've upgraded to 10.6.8, run it and make sure to do EasyBeast and enable any hardware you need. Even then it's vaguely dangerous to try to put other partitions on the drive with anything other than Apple's disk utility app - I've killed OS X installs trying to add extra partitions or dual-boot from the same drive.

It is indeed pronounced ten. :)

Windows can only read HFS+ disks if you use something like MacDrive. You can also mount/read HFS+ with free utilities like HFS Explorer http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:39 pm

I already have MultiBeast 3.9.0, but apparently it's been updated since then to 3.9.1. But it's a zip file, so I suppose I should download it in OS X instead and see what happens there? I notice most all of the utils have 2 directories saved, and seem to have 2 copies of most things in there.

I updated to whatever it told me, something like 1.2 GB of downloads I think. Somewhere in there it said something about preparing to allow Lion or some such.

As far as I know all my hardware is working excepting the memory size. When the OS started I had sound running during that first startup video (a lot more impressive than that silly rotating balls crap on Win 7, though the welcomes in German and various languages nearly identical to German eventually became a bit much), and something I did brought up a web site at some point with Safari so I knew the networking was fine, though I forget what it was about since I closed it fairly soon after. I also got it to show me my other machines on the LAN, which was nice (took a bit for the passworded one of them). I think it only allowed me a max of 1024x768 resolution though, and I'd like to be able to change that. Hopefully an Nvidia driver update will solve it.

I had a brain... incident... when I wrote about Windows not seeing the disk. I already posted a graphic of Windows seeing it. I might one day want to read something on the Mac partition, but I think mostly that will be done by saving things to other machines over the network.

I've only run the OS for less than an hour so far, and still don't know what to use for the "command" key, so I'm a newbie's newbie. Somewhere I assume I'll find something to read about this before I start the expensive and likely wasteful process of asking Apple for permission to produce executables for their products. :evil:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:53 pm

The standard ZIP format can't handle the resource fork of HFS+ so you'll see ._MACOSX (or something like that) which contains a bunch of metadata. That's the duplicate copy you're seeing. You'll find that those files in that spare folder are quite a bit smaller than the actual files.

On a standard Windows-designed keyboard, the command key is the Winlogo key. On a Mac that key is where the Alt key normally is, but even if you don't use the Preferences to remap the keys around you get used to it. Cmd+letter is the equivalent to Windows' Ctrl+letter, so you'll want to get that down. :D

The 1024x768 problem will be fixed when you install a boot loader via Multibeast. It'll enable something called GraphicsEnabler which does some sort of voodoo which gets the OS to see the video card.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:49 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
The standard ZIP format can't handle the resource fork of HFS+ so you'll see ._MACOSX (or something like that) which contains a bunch of metadata. That's the duplicate copy you're seeing. You'll find that those files in that spare folder are quite a bit smaller than the actual files.
Now that you mention it I recall having done that, and decided it was probably some crap like that. Old age... it sucks, man.

derFunkenstein wrote:
On a standard Windows-designed keyboard, the command key is the Winlogo key. On a Mac that key is where the Alt key normally is, but even if you don't use the Preferences to remap the keys around you get used to it. Cmd+letter is the equivalent to Windows' Ctrl+letter, so you'll want to get that down. :D

The 1024x768 problem will be fixed when you install a boot loader via Multibeast. It'll enable something called GraphicsEnabler which does some sort of voodoo which gets the OS to see the video card.

I guessed the Windows key would substitute, and it didn't seem to work for me, but I forget what I was trying to get to respond (cmd-J I think, but forget what it was supposed to do) so I'll give it another shot whenever I run it again.

I'll have to try that Multibeast thing soon, then. And eventually maybe I'll look around to see if there's a Mac version of Wine so I can GPU fold while using OSX. :D

a_non_moose
Gerbil

Sat May 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Got 10.7.2 running on an Asus p5q, e8500, 8G of mem and the unsupported 48XX Radeon (seriously, every thing above and
below is golden...WTF).

Sadly, it barfs on the Asus p5qC w/ Q9550, 8G and 6870 Radeon.

Supposedly, BIOS mod is the only work around...hummm, not quite yet ready to dink w/ my primary system.
(though it runs in a VM very nicely).

Anyone tried it on a G73 lappy? (off too google)