Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

StefanVonS
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Kindle Fire Unveiled by Amazon

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:00 am

Amazon has just unveiled the new Kindle Fire tablet. Working on getting links and will update this post.

1st Link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 0818.story

The Kindle Fire will have a 7-inch display and sell for $199, compared with $499 for Apple’s cheapest iPad, Amazon executives told Bloomberg News. The device, a souped-up version of the Kindle electronic-book reader, will run on Google Inc.’s Android software, the Seattle-based company said.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/amazons-b ... -199/59119
AMAZON SILK

Bezos also unveiled Amazon Silk, a “split” web browser that “partially lives in Amazon EC2 [cloud computing platform] and partially lives in Kindle Fire.”

“It is difficult for mobile devices to display modern web pages rapidly,” Bezos said.

The company says web pages will display much faster. (There are demo stations positioned outside; we’ll let you know if it’s up to the task.)

The Kindle Fire will be $199. It will be available for pre-order today and ship Nov. 15.

Also unveiled three new Kindles:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/amazons-b ... -container
NEW YORK — Amazon on Wednesday drew a line in the sand in the e-reader sector by unveiling three new Kindle e-reader models priced to move.

The first and newest: Kindle Touch, the company’s next-generation e-reader that uses an infrared touch display.

Chief executive Jeff Bezos took to the stage here at Stage37 in Manhattan to reveal the device, which he says is smaller and lighter than the current Kindle model.

“The infrared touch display means there’s no extra layer on top of your display,” he said.

A new feature of the device is called “X-Ray,” which offers contextual information about the content you’re reading. It’s not unlike Times Topics pages on the New York Times’ website, except it’s available as you read.

It will be $99. A 3G version (with built-in, free, contract-less Wi-Fi) will also be available for $149.

Both can be pre-ordered now for shipment in November.

“This is the top-of-the-line Kindle,” Bezos said, holding up the device. “We’re going to sell many millions of these.”

Taking a page from Apple, Bezos also announced a $79 Kindle that’s smaller and lighter (albeit less attractive) than the current one. It includes wireless connectivity and can be both ordered and shipped today.

“We’re making premium products and offering them at non-premium prices,” Bezos said.

Anarchist
Gerbil

Re: Kindle Fire Unveiled by Amazon

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:25 am

$199 seem like a fair price for useless device like a tablet. To think that people have been paying $500 for ipad is stupefying. To think that moto released xoom with $700 price tag is outrageous.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:37 am

:roll:

Wrong. The difference in pricing is because Amazon expects to make it up with e-book sales.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Competition is good!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Anarchist wrote:
$199 seem like a fair price for useless device like a tablet. To think that people have been paying $500 for ipad is stupefying. To think that moto released xoom with $700 price tag is outrageous.
$500? Look again:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23 ... Id=2340017

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Looks like it will be a US-only product. So a big "meh" to Amazon from the rest of the world :)
Amazon's app store, mp3 store and video store are all US-only at the moment.

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:14 pm

I've threatened a Kindle forever and would have one if i still read much. Sad to say I just don't read hardly at all anymore, and it used to be my main form of entertainment. I can see myself getting the Fire though since it servers several functions. I've never been able to stomach the price on the regular tablets because a nice laptop suits me better. If I spent hours commuting with public transportaton etc it would be great i imagine.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:42 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Anarchist wrote:
$500? Look again:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23 ... Id=2340017

Come on, you're just cherrypicking; you're better than that. That's the top-end model, and the base model does indeed cost $499.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

chauhoang48
Gerbil In Training

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:21 am

I think the price is attractive, Even some Chinese Android tablet is expensive than $200. What the .
I want to pre-ordered one for my son.

Amazon has just unveiled the new Kindle Fire tablet. Working on getting links and will update this post.

1st Link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 0818.story

The Kindle Fire will have a 7-inch display and sell for $199, compared with $499 for Apple’s cheapest iPad, Amazon executives told Bloomberg News. The device, a souped-up version of the Kindle electronic-book reader, will run on Google Inc.’s Android software, the Seattle-based company said.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/amazons-b ... -199/59119
AMAZON SILK

Bezos also unveiled Amazon Silk, a “split” web browser that “partially lives in Amazon EC2 [cloud computing platform] and partially lives in Kindle Fire covers.”

“It is difficult for mobile devices to display modern web pages rapidly,” Bezos said.

The company says web pages will display much faster. (There are demo stations positioned outside; we’ll let you know if it’s up to the task.)

The Kindle Fire will be $199. It will be available for pre-order today and ship Nov. 15.

Also unveiled three new Kindles:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/amazons-b ... -container
NEW YORK — Amazon on Wednesday drew a line in the sand in the e-reader sector by unveiling three new Kindle e-reader models priced to move.

The first and newest: Kindle Touch, the company’s next-generation e-reader that uses an infrared touch display.

Chief executive Jeff Bezos took to the stage here at Stage37 in Manhattan to reveal the device, which he says is smaller and lighter than the current Kindle model.

“The infrared touch display means there’s no extra layer on top of your display,” he said.

A new feature of the device is called “X-Ray,” which offers contextual information about the content you’re reading. It’s not unlike Times Topics pages on the New York Times’ website, except it’s available as you read.

It will be $99. A 3G version (with built-in, free, contract-less Wi-Fi) will also be available for $149.

Both can be pre-ordered now for shipment in November.

“This is the top-of-the-line Kindle,” Bezos said, holding up the device. “We’re going to sell many millions of these.”

Taking a page from Apple, Bezos also announced a $79 Kindle that’s smaller and lighter (albeit less attractive) than the current one. It includes wireless connectivity and can be both ordered and shipped today.

“We’re making premium products and offering them at non-premium prices,” Bezos said.
Last edited by Captain Ned on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT BY MOD - Captain Ned - Please don't work around the profanity filter - Forum Rule #8