Samsung Galaxy S2 (or similar android)
34 (61%)

Total votes: 56

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: iPhone 4s vs. Samsung Galaxy S2

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:16 am

hiro_pro wrote:
it doesnt sound like a lot but the iphone lets me get to the mp3 player features faster than the androids. between workouts and my commute i spend over two hours a day listening to music, audiobooks, and most importantly the TR podcasts :wink: . I couldnt ignore the feature. my friend in the same position but with a droid and uses two different players: one for music and the other for books. even he had to admit that getting to his tunes was more of an exercise especially when your phone is in an armband.

To each his own.

I find the music experience on Android to be a little better than iOS. I can choose which player I want. I can have a DSP if I want. The particular music player I use, you can have music controls on the lock screen too. That makes pausing/playing/skipping/whatever pretty easy. I don't know if all music players on Android do this, but when I unplug my headphones from my phone it stops the music and I can go right back to the same place when I stick them back in.

I really don't like using iTunes on the PC either. I'd rather not be locked into that. I know I don't have use it to listen to music on the PC, but I can use another app and just put music on my SD card with my 'droid.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks for the update op. I'm guessing the iPod / iPhone would probably be better suited for audio / ease of use.

I've never been a huge mobile music/book subscriber so I didn't experiment with my EVO 4G much. I do know outputting to 2.1 desktop speakers from the hedphone jack had poor results. The phone has a "headset" jack instead of a headphone jack. I read that is the issue with the EVO at least. Part of the reason i was considering the iPhone was for audio quality etc. Some of the android handsets have subpar audio chips I've read. Like DancinJack mentioned, the customization features is the biggest draw for me over the iPhone, along with being tied to iTunes. The internal memory is a good point. It's the biggest reason I think why iPhones operate smoother on some things such as picture playback. I would get a bit of lag on my EVO looking at full res pics stored on the memory card. Still a bit of a toss up for me all things considered though.

I cancelled my Sprint contract in favor of a 25$ a month AT&T prepaid plan yesterday. I'll save some money while waiting on the next phone that catches my eye... either the iPhone 5 if i wait that long or the Nexus Prime if AT&T gets it. All of them are a bit of a waste for me anymore as i talk little and only txt usually. I've little use for the myriad of apps. The GPS comes in handy but for the money i save in two months of billing i can buy a stand alone unit for the car if a phone doesn't catch my eye.

Let us know how you like the purchase !

hiro_pro
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:23 pm

DancinJack wrote:
but when I unplug my headphones from my phone it stops the music and I can go right back to the same place when I stick them back in.

What music player app are you using? i could not get to the music player when i plugged a headset back in (without actually entering my password and going back into the phone). it can be a tricky wicket when running/sweating and having to put a password in.

i agree that itunes on a PC is a huge negative. the program is a horrible resource drag on a PC and from i can tell gives NOTHING back. media player works fine on a pc for my music needs. fortunately, i do not own a single itunes song, book or other media.

I will never buy another DRM'd anything. i lost a lot of books when MS decided to stop supporting their reader, but that is another story (thankfully the nice people at btjunkie offered to exchange all of my books).
i7-930, GA-X58A-UD3R, Crucial MX100 512GB, 2 TB WD Black *2 mirror, ATI 5850 1 GB, 12GB (3*4GB)
Nikon D600, Tamron 24-70 & 70-200 2.4 VC, Nikon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Sigma 35 1.4

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Yeah, I didn't order my 4S until Sunday night, and also got backlogged. Looks like they sold out sometime Saturday. I guess it will get here when it gets here!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:39 am

hiro_pro wrote:
What music player app are you using? i could not get to the music player when i plugged a headset back in (without actually entering my password and going back into the phone). it can be a tricky wicket when running/sweating and having to put a password in.

I use PlayerPro on my Droid.

Didn't want to start a new thread so hopefully this will get some views.

DROID Razr and Galaxy Nexus are to be introduced today along with ICS.

DROID Razer:
DroidLife wrote:
4.3″ Super AMOLED Advanced qHD display. Advanced? Ooh, first device to download full HD videos from Netflix. Dual-core 1.2GHz processor, 1GB RAM, splash guard for protection, Gorilla Glass, weighs very little, 1800mAh battery.

Galaxy Nexus:

If you're as nerdy as I am, or I guess if you don't have anything better to do, you can watch the event on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/android
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

StuffMaster
Gerbil

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:34 pm

Well I got the Galaxy s II and couldn't be happier. No way I'm going back to an iphone.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:51 pm

StuffMaster wrote:
Well I got the Galaxy s II and couldn't be happier. No way I'm going back to an iphone.

You should be getting Ice Cream Sandwich sometime soon hopefully too.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Well I got the iPhone 4S and couldn't be happier. I didn't think the Android OS fit my needs just yet. I also really prefer the smaller physical size of the iPhone 4 compared to the Galaxy S2.

Both phones seem exceptional. Looking back a few years, both platforms have really come a long way. I bet I'd be happy with their phone, really, and I think the same applies to most non-fanboy users.
x--x--x--x

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:23 pm

DancinJack wrote:
StuffMaster wrote:

Just root the phone, get ROM manager and install Cyanogenmod. You will have 2.3.7 from the nightly builds. On cm_galaxys2_full-99 nightly right now myself and it's just fine. When ICS is released they will start the process to use that for Cyanogenmod and it up will be about a month after Google releases the source.

No need to wait for them to push it to you.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:17 pm

PenGun wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
StuffMaster wrote:

Just root the phone, get ROM manager and install Cyanogenmod. You will have 2.3.7 from the nightly builds. On cm_galaxys2_full-99 nightly right now myself and it's just fine. When ICS is released they will start the process to use that for Cyanogenmod and it up will be about a month after Google releases the source.

No need to wait for them to push it to you.

I know. I'm running 2.3.7 on my OG Droid. Doesn't mean everyone wants to root and void a warranty though. I understand there are un-root processes as well. I've used one myself. Just saying if you don't want to tinker, it's definitely one of the Samsung phones that's getting ICS.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:50 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I know. I'm running 2.3.7 on my OG Droid. Doesn't mean everyone wants to root and void a warranty though. I understand there are un-root processes as well. I've used one myself. Just saying if you don't want to tinker, it's definitely one of the Samsung phones that's getting ICS.

Yeah I've been back and forth a few times. It's not too hard to do and this is a tech site so I would expect a larger group here to take over their phones. My little yellow triangle is a chevo of freedom for me. ;)
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Haha yeah. There are days when I go through 3-4 ROMs because they just don't feel quite right. My OG seems to like Liquid the best right now. It's nice. The battery life isn't fantastic, but I'll deal with it.