Topic Author

MechWarrior Online 2012 - Reserve a pilot name

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:45 pm

FYI y'all --

http://www.mwomercs.com/signup

"Reserve your pilot name now!
by Piranha Games Oct 28, 2011 1:39 PM PDT
Attention MechWarriors!
This is your first call to action and your chance to register your pilot name for MechWarrior® Online™! Visit http://www.mwomercs.com/signup and sign up today! Register your name to make sure you can use it on day 1 of the official MechWarrior® Online™ launch!"
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Re: MechWarrior Online 2012 - Reserve a pilot name

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:58 pm

Hope the game is sweet!

001-deactivated
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:58 pm

Are there any trailers up for this game yet?

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:32 pm

Now is this "Mechwarrior" Mechwarrior, or is it "Mechcommander" Mechwarrior?

Thrashdog
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:07 pm

SPOOFE wrote:

Given that they're talking in some detail about joystick support, how the LRMs are gong to work, and how you'll be piloting from a first-person view, I think it's safe to say they're doing straight-up MechWarrior. Hopefully a good version thereof, too. :) I know that I've got a lot of old friends from the MW4 days that I'd love to shoot at again.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:16 pm

It's normal Mechwarrior. There was a trailer that popped up a few years ago for it, then it disappeared again. I'd suggest looking into Living Legends, which is a very good Mechwarrior mod for Crysis if you're looking for a quick fix.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:26 pm

Thrashdog wrote:
SPOOFE wrote:

Given that they're talking in some detail about joystick support, how the LRMs are gong to work, and how you'll be piloting from a first-person view, I think it's safe to say they're doing straight-up MechWarrior. Hopefully a good version thereof, too. :) I know that I've got a lot of old friends from the MW4 days that I'd love to shoot at again.

MW4 was an abomination.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:51 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
Thrashdog wrote:
SPOOFE wrote:

MW4 was an abomination.

Agreed, mechwarrior 2:mercenaries was a beautiful thing.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:11 am

I thought that the Robotech and FASA lawyers had wiped out any possibility of future MechWarrior titles?

Thrashdog
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:02 am

MadManOriginal wrote:
MW4 was an abomination.

You're entitled to your opinion. :) I know that Mech4 strayed quite a bit from the pen-and-paper games (and for a while I was into MegaMek something fierce, so I've done some of the at, too), but as the only viable multiplayer installment of the series since NetMech it was actually pretty decent, and the MekTek mods give it some real legs. MW4 was my introduction to online multiplayer gaming, so if for no other reason than that, I still think fondly of it.

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:49 am

I'm sure "Herras Ragen" is already taken. :wink:
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:05 am

If it's a first person mmo I'm totally down. If it's just a FPS, we'll see how it compares to Hawken. If it's not first person at all, I'll pass.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks for the heads up Neutronbeam !! Awesome !

I'll probably have a go at this game in spite of myself. I was introduced to the mechwarrior series in 99. I started playing mech3 and knew nothing of the Battletech series. Most hardcore BT fans disliked the mech3 series due to inaccuracies and I doubt that will ever change no matter what rendition there is, just as there will be casual sim / action players that dislike the elements of the game that ARE true to the original form.

I wasn't as big a fan of MW4 but part of that is my own fault. The game was more of a sim than MW3 in most ways I think. I kind of missed the freelook reticule of MW3 when using a mouse and keyboard to pilot.... :)

Hopefully this game makes it out the door. The last I knew Smith and Tinker was onboard with this game. Looking like they are mostly an app based developer now. Whatever the sitution, I hope all of the legalities are ironed out and the franchise can move forward. Even if it's wrong, maybe someone will enjoy the game ! :lol:

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:35 am

mech 2 and 4 where my favs, 3 was interesting but lacked any staying power in my mind.

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:04 am

Here are the details guys--

http://mwomercs.com/game

"Welcome MechWarrior!

Piranha Games is proud to bring you the next instalment in the MechWarrior® franchise. It has been a long time coming and this synopsis will help to answer some of your questions. If you’ve read through Dev Blog 0, you’ll know that we are a premium Free-To-Play game based on the bestselling BattleTech® Universe. When coming up with the core game features for MechWarrior® Online, we create and focused on four pillars of design and player experience. These pillars include:

Mech Warfare – The embodiment of Mech to Mech combat.
Role Warfare – The ability for player’s to customize their experience to suit their own style of gameplay.
Community Warfare – The ability to let the players take part in epic combat for territorial control.
Information Warfare – Bring a new element to the battlefield that incorporates information technology to help control the fight.

Mech Warfare:

We want to make sure we bring the roots of the MechWarrior® titles back to the surface and also incorporate the basic rules from the BattleTech® Universe. Players will be able to customize their BattleMechs with weapon and armor upgrades as well as customize their cosmetic appearance in the MechLab. This means players can look unique or fall in line with their Merc Corp colors and truly represent themselves in combat. The next part of Mech Warfare is controls/piloting a BattleMech. Since our key platform is the PC, it only makes sense to really bring the simulation control system back for seasoned players, with the option to have easy access configurations for newer players. When dealing with controls, we really want to bring skill back into combat rather than heavily assisted combat as seen in most modern day first person shooters. The interface between the MechWarrior® and the BattleMech is being revisited as well. A new 3D HUD system is being designed for the neurohelmet pilot information display. The view point of the game is from the pilot (MechWarrior®’s) point of view. Players will be able to look around their cockpit and even customize the interior to suit their tastes.

Role Warfare:

When it comes down to play style for any given player, we want to make sure that we have as many options as possible to cater to as many player types as possible. This is where things get really interesting. Everything from choosing a BattleMech to how a MechWarrior® is trained, will allow a player to truly customize their own personal game experience. What is a player’s preferred role when playing MechWarrior®? Scout? Attacker? Defender? Commander? Whatever it is, a player will be able to train their MechWarrior to specialize in their style of gameplay. Players are highly encouraged to participate in team based gameplay. The fast manoeuvrable scouts will be able to relay information back to the commander units who in turn relay that information to the attacker and defender units. As players advance their MechWarrior in a role, more skills and abilities related to their role will become available. Remember, a team who plays together will always win together.

Community Warfare:

MechWarrior® in all of its incarnations has always had a loyal following of players in one of the strongest on-line communities in gaming history. Piranha-Games hopes to bring this community together in a friendly conflict of universal control. This may sound a little odd, but it is the fun competitiveness that will keep the game alive and kicking for years to come. Utilizing the BattleTech® Inner Sphere, we plan to have skirmishes amongst the Great Houses in BattleTech® lore. Allowing the player to have an active part in this conflict is one of our key directives in designing this game. Players will be able to create, manage and customize their Merc Corp’s player base and appearance, while banding together to really delve into the Inner Sphere conflict where House alignment reigns supreme. Merc Corp leaders will bid and fight for occupation rights to some of the most valuable planets across the Inner Sphere and challenge other Merc Corps for control of planets reaping large rewards.

Information Warfare:

Evolving the MechWarrior® experience required a new layer of gameplay. Instead of large open expanses and circle strafing parties, we wanted to examine the core play experience of the previous MechWarrior® titles and see if we could bring a more tactical/strategic experience to MechWarrior® Online™. Relying more on line-of-sight and incorporating information technologies, we feel that information warfare will bring a new level of realism to the fight and help enforce the idea of team based multiplayer even more. Another aspect of Mech Warfare, something that we can do with new technology, is urban combat. The battlefield is no longer open areas with mile long sightlines. . Tactical manoeuvres will be required now more than ever and the key to success is using InfoTech alongside great team play. The newly implemented Battle Grid will give commanding units a bird’s eye view of the battlefield and scouts will be able to feed real time recon information to them. The battlefield commander will be able to call in air strikes, artillery strikes and other support unit requests."
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:12 am

Cool stuff. I'm excited. I was a huge fan of MW2 but lost interest in the franchise when they started making 3rd person games.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:54 am

I might be the only one, but I'd totally go for another Mech Commander game, or just another Battletech RTS of some sort. MechWarrior 3 was the best first-person pilot sim, IMO. But yeah, I'd go for some MechWarrior Online, too. :D
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Will jump jet mechs be able to skii???? that is part of why people love mech 2 so much. I have huge hopes for this game and really hope it is amazing.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Thread necro

So who bought a founders package and is in the closed beta? :)
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Want to buy a Founder's package but looks like the job is going south next month, so no money for games. :cry:

druidcent

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Me :)

I haven't had a chance to install and play it yet, since my new machine I can't get the wifi working :P I'm hoping to be up and running this weekend..

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:29 pm

druidcent wrote:
Me :)

I haven't had a chance to install and play it yet, since my new machine I can't get the wifi working :P I'm hoping to be up and running this weekend..

When you get it going read the beta guides forum and get on Teamspeak. You can also add me in game. my username will be Philldoe of course. I usually hang out in the educational channels on TS helping the newbies.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

druidcent

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Roger, wilco!