Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

NFL 2011/2012 - Week 9

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:21 am

Last week was some awesome games. I loved every second of St. Louis handing it to New Orleans. Miami actually had the Giants on the ropes. . . . . .and Buffalo now a power house is just too amusing.

Ah well . . .onto the joy ride that is week 9.

Sunday, Nov. 6 . . . . . (November alread - uugghh)
Atlanta @ Indy - My upset pick of the week
NYJ @ Buffalo - Is this allowed to be an upset pick too?
Miami @ Kansas city - No upset there!
Seattle @ Dallas - The only upset is Romo is still the QB
San Fran @ Washington - Redskins coach is upset he will be humiliated again
Tampa Bay @ New Orleans - so is New Orleans
Cleveland @ Houston - The Browns are upset they have to travel so far to get beat.
Denver @ Oakland - I'm upset I don't have TJ and Carson in my fantasy league now.
Cinci @ Tennessee - How will Cam Newton fare this weekend?
st. Louis @ Arizona - Ride that high Rams . . . . .while you can
Green Bay @ San Diego - I think this is the Packers first loss of the season. Who thinks they will go 16-0?
NYJ @ New England - Brady is upset and will take it out on the Giants.
Baltimore @ Pittsburgh - Even though Suggs should shut up, I have a feeling that the Ravens will stick it to Ben again.

Monday, Nov. 7
Chicago @ Philly

Byes: Carolina, Detroit, Jacksonville, Minnesota

Get those rosters updated!!!! Next week the Byes stop . . . . thank goodness.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: NFL 2011/2012 - Week 9

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:10 pm

lex-ington wrote:
Atlanta @ Indy - My upset pick of the week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap;_ylt= ... 0111106011
Michael Marot, Associated Press wrote:
The Colts’ collapse keeps getting worse.
Before fleeing Lucas Oil Stadium in the second half, fans serenaded Colts players with boos after watching Indianapolis go nearly 30 minutes between first downs. By the end of the game, at least 80 percent of the stadium was empty.
“We really feel the last two games we hurt ourselves,” quarterback Curtis Painter(notes) said after throwing for only 98 yards. “I think we need to clean things up, play a little bit better, starting with myself.”

Right now, the Colts (0-9) don’t even look competitive. They’ve been outscored 75-14 in the first half of the last three games and 120-24 overall. Indy has lost five straight home games for the first time since 2001 and is on the cusp of falling to 0-10 for the first time since 1997. This was the Colts’ worst defeat at home since a 31-3 loss to Seattle on Sept. 14, 1997, the year before quarterback Peyton Manning arrived.

And things aren’t improving.

Manning still hasn’t practiced since having neck surgery Sept. 8, and now the Colts could be without their top two tight ends. Dallas Clark (lower leg) and Brody Eldridge (hand) both left the game early. Coach Jim Caldwell provided no updates after the game.

Rookie running back Delone Carter was yanked after fumbling on the second play of the game and didn’t return until the second half. Painter was pulled in the fourth quarter after completing 13 of 27 passes with one interception.

Defensively, the Colts were abysmal, too. “I haven’t had nightmares like that in a long time,” Caldwell said when asked if he ever dreamed the Colts could go 0-9. “It’s not something that you anticipate is going to happen.” “We just aren’t performing well right now,” he added.

lex-ington wrote:
I keep thinking... Indy really need to focus on picking up some good defensive players in the draft next year.
JustAnEngineer wrote:
...after they draft Andrew Luck?
I don't think they need a QB right now. maybe in 2-3 years. What they NEED right now is a defense that can stop a running game...
It looks to me like they'll draft Luck #1 overall and trade Manning to the Seahawks or Redskins (assuming that he can pass a physical before he's due a huge bonus in March).

Michael Marot, Associated Press wrote:
Rookie receiver Julio Jones touched the ball five times Sunday and scored twice against Indianapolis’ porous pass defense, leading the Atlanta Falcons to a 31-7 victory over the NFL’s only winless team. Jones, who was coming back from an injured left hamstring, burned the Indy secondary on TD catches of 50 and 80 yards.

“It gives us another good player, another good option to have the football in his hands,” Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan(notes) said. “He’s a good player, and we’re certainly better when we have him.” Jones finished with three catches for a season-high 131 yards and had two carries for 33 yards, one of which set up a late field goal.

Jones was terrific.

He beat triple coverage for the 50-yarder, making a great adjustment on the ball at the goal line. Initially, the pass was ruled incomplete, but coach Mike Smith won a replay challenge, giving the Falcons a 14-0 lead. “I knew I had caught it,” Jones said. “I knew my hands were up under the ball. I didn’t bobble it or nothing.”

On Atlanta’s next possession, Jones ran across the field, catching a 10-yard pass near the left hash mark, then outran the Indy defense for an 80-yard score to make it 21-0 less than three minutes into the second quarter.
Of course I had Julio Jones on the bench on my fantasy team. :(

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:04 am

UGGGGGGHHH NOOOOO well that is a crushing loss. So close, but no cigar. 2011 really isn't our year I guess.

You can try and blame it on the dumb penalties, or the Suggs pick, but nothing can hide the fact that our defense could not deliver. Flacco got it done on 3rd-and-long nearly every time. And that last drive especially was just WTF fail. Double coverage and he slips right through on the final play. What a disappointing calendar year for Steelers football.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:13 am

It's called the Prevent Defense. As in prevent us from winning.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:48 am

Make no mistake, this WAS a playoff game. This was supposed to be where we took command of the division with the top seed ours to defend, instead we're left fighting for the wild-card scraps, in all probability. If we end up having to go through both Foxborough and Baltimore to get back to the Super Bowl we are f***ed with a capital F IMO.

I was sold on this season too, I thought we had the momentum to get the top seed and be back against the Packers in no time. Now it's February all over again. Yeah yeah I'm another whiny entitled Steeler fan but the simple fact is every year has the expectations of a Super Bowl run around here, and this week is a huge blow to that ambition.

Captain Ned wrote:
It's called the Prevent Defense. As in prevent us from winning.

lol. Sure seemed like it. I don't think they understand that if you keep giving up the short and intermediate pass the other team gets to the end zone eventually anyway. The Patriots used to eat us alive with that stuff. If they just had all laid down and let the Ravens run back the kickoff for a TD at least we would have gotten the ball back with some time left. "No defense" would literally have been a better strategy.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:11 am

I only watched the first half and a little of the second, up to where Suggs got the interception. Steelers offense did not look like they wanted to win. I try to imagine what's going through Big Ben's head when he passes into 4 defenders . . . .Raven's defenders on top of that!! REALLY BEN?????

I honestly thought San Diego had a shot at beating the Packs. Ah well.

Kansas City must feel like failures right now to get beat so badly by a sucky Miami team . . . . . .and this is coming from a Colts fan.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .