Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Lenovo IdeaPad

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Just picked up one of these bad boys for my wife. Her netbook is dying, so it was time for something new. For the little bit of time I played with it, I can say that for me, its useless - but for my wife, she will consume every bit of it. She doesn't need anything powerful or exotic, just something to consume . . . . . . . stuff. I couldn't beat the price/quality either.

It will be nice when Google integrates the OS to all the mobile devices though, make syncing and the like a snap.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:25 am

Setting up the tablet last night led to one thing - It does not like cheap SD cards. I bought a 16GB micro-SD card branded Duracell, and the tablet hated it. Would not save to it, won't shut down with the card in it, and once I got something on the card - it refused to acknowledge it. Once I took the card out, everything went back to normal.

And those cards are not cheap . . . . .at least not in Canada. A Sandisk 32GB card starts at $45 (tax is 13%)

The tablet itself has 32GB - and comes with some of the most useless stuff already installed, so i deleted all of that - but I don't want to use up all of the storage on a few movies. I rather put the movies on the card.

The tablet itself I found quite snappy and responsive. The other option was either the $299 Acer 11.6" netbook using the AMD C-60 or the $480 HP 11.6" notebook using the AMD E-350.

Ah well, at least if my wife calls me for help, I can just turn on my phone and guide her through the problem. The Android 3.1 OS is very similar to the Android 2.3.@$# that's on the phones now.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

bhrandy
Gerbil In Training

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:09 am

Girls love tablets because it is easy to use and very portable than netbooks. :) Don't wonder why most tablet users are girls.