Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Rhuobhe
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Which web hosting site should I choose?

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:59 am

If I wanted to host a small business website that allowed for things such as a cart that one could add items to and database support what website would I go to to get professional hosting?
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz | eVGA 8800 GTX | Asus P5B Deluxe | Dell 2407 | Zalman 9500 | 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 6400 | Seagate 7200.10 320GB | Antec TRUEPOWERII 550W | COOLER MASTER Centurion 5

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:02 am

2 of my IT friends at work use http://www.hostrocket.com/. I think it's $10/month, and one of them hosts his small business off of that site, including online purchasing and all that stuff. (http://americancroppers.com/store/index.php)

Rhuobhe
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:34 am

Thanks guys
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz | eVGA 8800 GTX | Asus P5B Deluxe | Dell 2407 | Zalman 9500 | 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 6400 | Seagate 7200.10 320GB | Antec TRUEPOWERII 550W | COOLER MASTER Centurion 5

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:42 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
I've had good luck with godaddy.com, but there might be better ones for business.

Having spent a lot of time trying to track down slimy mortgage lenders/brokers in the day job, a GoDaddy registration never turns out well. Legitimate businesses use reputable registrars and openly expose their contact data so that one can pick up a phone and verify that www.foo.com is owned by Foo, Inc. Disreputable businesses hide behind GoDaddy registrations.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Re:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Having spent a lot of time trying to track down slimy mortgage lenders/brokers in the day job, a GoDaddy registration never turns out well. Legitimate businesses use reputable registrars and openly expose their contact data so that one can pick up a phone and verify that http://www.foo.com is owned by Foo, Inc. Disreputable businesses hide behind GoDaddy registrations.

While I don't doubt that you've seen a lot of shady domains with hidden contact info registered through GoDaddy, that's not because GoDaddy is a disreputable registrar per se; it's because they're inexpensive and do a lot of volume (they are currently the largest registrar by far). Domains with hidden registration info are just one of the many add-on services they offer (at additional cost). Other registrars like register.com and Network Solutions (reputable enough for you?) offer similar "domain anonymizer" services too; you just see less of it from them because they don't do nearly as much volume.

That said, I wouldn't trust GoDaddy to run my hosting. I will continue to register domains through them though...

Edit: Oops, looks like you responded to a spam necro (which has since been deleted). And I responded to you before noticing that fact... :roll:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
While I don't doubt that you've seen a lot of shady domains with hidden contact info registered through GoDaddy, that's not because GoDaddy is a disreputable registrar per se; it's because they're inexpensive and do a lot of volume (they are currently the largest registrar by far). Domains with hidden registration info are just one of the many add-on services they offer (at additional cost). Other registrars like register.com and Network Solutions (reputable enough for you?) offer similar "domain anonymizer" services too; you just see less of it from them because they don't do nearly as much volume.

That said, I wouldn't trust GoDaddy to run my hosting. I will continue to register domains through them though...

Edit: Oops, looks like you responded to a spam necro (which has since been deleted). And I responded to you before noticing that fact... :roll:

Necro or not, since the topic is back up, I will note that the only time I looked into a domain registration, back in early 2008, GoDaddy.com was loaded with a la carte fees and related landmines, particularly if you didn't also purchase a hosting contract, or mis-checked the ten thousand offers for unrelated products and services from their partners.

I ended up going with NetFirms.ca which is a typical $10/month with auto-renewal and a CPanel interface. Been like a good toaster -- always there, always works, nothing fancy. This past year I rolled over the expiry of my current credit card and forgot to update it in their system. I didn't realize this until their "unable to renew" email came in December. I updated the card online a few days later and ran the renewal manually, and in the meantime I found a message on my answering machine from customer service, checking to see if I needed assistance in getting the account fixed. I otherwise get maybe 4 emails a year from them.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:33 pm

ludi wrote:
Necro or not, since the topic is back up, I will note that the only time I looked into a domain registration, back in early 2008, GoDaddy.com was loaded with a la carte fees and related landmines, particularly if you didn't also purchase a hosting contract, or mis-checked the ten thousand offers for unrelated products and services from their partners.

Yeah, I guess the repeated up-sell attempts at checkout are a little annoying; but once you get into the "just decline everything" routine it isn't that bad.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Other registrars like register.com and Network Solutions (reputable enough for you?) offer similar "domain anonymizer" services too; you just see less of it from them because they don't do nearly as much volume.

I'm not blaming GoDaddy. My belief is that if you're using the 'Net to sell, you should have the common decency to have a real contact in your WHOIS record. Yes, I know it'll never happen and that I can't mandate it. Still wish I could for the consumer's sake. At least I've finally trained my boss to understand that no matter how much he may want to stop them, there's not thing one we can do as regulators to stop phishing e-mails.

And yes, I junked the spam post to which I replied. How's that for not looking where one is going.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Which web hosting site should I choose?

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:04 pm

You guys should use HostDime :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 03, 2011 12:57 pm

I've been hearing some good things about DreamHost...

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I've been hearing some good things about DreamHost...

Dreamhost is great, I've also enjoyed working on Lunarpages.

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Which web hosting site should I choose?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:42 am

This isn't for everyone but I've been using Amazon for my hosting... $5 a month for my own VM isn't too bad.

Obviously the drawback is for that money you get literally NO support and you have to build your server on your own.

EDIT:
doh, did I just reply to another spam thread necro?
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:29 am

cheesyking wrote:
This isn't for everyone but I've been using Amazon for my hosting... $5 a month for my own VM isn't too bad.

Obviously the drawback is for that money you get literally NO support and you have to build your server on your own.

EDIT:
doh, did I just reply to another spam thread necro?

Indeed. Happens to the best of us...

Looks like you're not even the first one to necro this thread; it dates back to 2005 and was revived by Captain Ned about 6 months ago in response to another spam! :lol:

I had originally split your reply out along with the spam, but after thinking about it for a minute merged your reply back into the original thread. :wink:

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:14 am

Didn't the Godaddy CEO video tape himself killing an elephant? Back on topic I don't mind 1&1hosting.

Edit: damn it I also just realised this thread is a zombie
FDISK /MBR

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:43 am

Zombie, but not necessarily a bad one.

I use site5.com for some stuff and a friend at work uses hostgator.com.

--SS

Dygear
Gerbil

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Depending on the amount of traffic you do, and how much space you need, I've find http://www.nosupportlinuxhosting.com/ to be great when it comes to no profile websites. Sites for Clans and Gaming Community really fall into this bracket as they have some members, but if they want to host video it goes through YouTube and things like that you don't there for have to use your own bandwidth. When you do use your bandwidth it's like a phpBB install or something like that, your just moving some text and some images. One client won't move 1GB a month in that environments thanks to the cache settings in most modern browser and things like ETags.

Anyway, I digress, $1/month, for 10GB/month and 1GB of space with cPanel.
http://www.nosupportlinuxhosting.com/

Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:20 pm

I use Nearly Free Speech myself. You only pay for what you use (and only beyond a certain limit, its free before that).
Under Construction Forever~~~

Prion
Gerbil

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:14 pm

I've had good luck with Surpass for a number of years now.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:32 am

still won't be the cheap prices of allgamer.net

https://allgamer.net/