Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:27 pm

Not all music from the 70s was bad.
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/b ... gs70s.html

My favorite group at that time was Styx (and I bought that one on 8-track). :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:39 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
My favorite group at that time was Styx (and I bought that one on 8-track). :lol:

Styx, Elton John, and Billy Joel were the soundtrack to my high school days. The first album I ever bought was "Grand Illusion" (still have it, though it's been played a few too many times).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:33 pm

thegleek wrote:
I purchased 100's (still have them all) on 45s and LPs...
I have only two LPs -- an old Herb Alpert album and Styx' Paradise Theater (pre-ordered with the cover art laser etched onto the grooves of the disc).
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:42 am

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:45 am

I need metal in the early morning, that and some coffee helps me to not kill anyone :P

Alternating between Winds of Plague and Lamb of God this morning.

Later while actually concentrating, I'll throw on some more mellow stuff, like some Colin Moore.
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re:

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:57 am

Boards of Canada - ROYGBIV

Smooth Beaver wrote:
Dizik wrote:
Indeed. Pink Floyd is easily one of my favorite bands ever. Comfortably Numb, Keep Talking, High Hopes, and Wish You Were Here are some of the most played tracks that I have. Well, according to iTunes since I've started using it.

I'm lucky to have been raised in my family. Parents that grew up in the late sixties +doing a lot of drugs = Dizik having been raised listening to great music. Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Alan Parsons Project, Led Zeppelin, E.L.O, Jefferson Airplane, etc.

Wish you were here, is there anybody out there?, run like hell, welcome to the machine, any colour you like and tons of other great tracks-agreed I like alot of their stuff because some of the extended instrumentals seem both relaxing and artistically mind-bending (if that's possible :D )

My parents weren'y very vocal with there musical tastes so I've recently discovered alot of this great classic rock like Led, The Doors, AC/DC etc. on my own. I just picked up guitar as well and having never played an instrument i can say so far it is both challenging and exhilerating.

I've found I like Pink Floyd covers better then the originals. I'm not sure why that is.

Sparklehorse with Thom Yorke covering "Wish you were here" is awesome in a crushed and depressed way, and I've recently found an mp3 of The Flaming Lips and friends covering "Money" that is mind bending. Sparklehorse recorded their cover for the Lords of Dogtown soundtrack, and the Lips and friends apparently covered the entirety of The Dark Side of the Moon.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm a big fan of the Flaming Lips...it's kind of hard not to when you're from the same town. However, their version of DSOTM was absolutely terrible.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:37 pm

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:36 am

Dizik wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Flaming Lips...it's kind of hard not to when you're from the same town.

LOVE the flaming lips! +1

JustAnEngineer wrote:

i'm so anti-tv/anti-all-these-endless-lame-talent-crap-shows, but watching this one was pretty neat, the kids got talent! love the beat box and bass dude the most.... and ben folds is a judge! WOW!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:11 am

I'm not a fan of the TV talent shows, either, but I happened to catch these guys performing while I was flipping channels the week before last. Here's their performance from last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaTPQD7bUCo

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:09 am

Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:04 pm

I've found I like Pink Floyd covers better then the originals. I'm not sure why that is.

I suggest you check out Dub Side of the Moon by the Easy Star All Stars. Unless you hate reggae.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:18 am

SPOOFE wrote:

I suggest you check out Dub Side of the Moon by the Easy Star All Stars. Unless you hate reggae.

Sounds interesting; I may need to check that out.

The Mary Fahl DSoTM cover album I mentioned on the previous page is strangely compelling; it has *really* grown on me. I've been listening to it 2-3 times a week while driving to/from work. I can't remember the last time an album made me do that.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:15 am

SPOOFE wrote:

Love reggae, I'll have to check out that one as well...

Speaking of reggae, I am listening to a new album by a group called Six60...:

http://www.amazon.com/Six60/dp/B005U6E7 ... 959&sr=1-3

Interesting listen, but it's WAY too mellow'd down for me. I only enjoyed a couple of tracks to say the least. In fact, not even sure WHY they classify this as reggae. It lacks "reggae" in all areas.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:42 am

MJZ82
Gerbil

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:08 am

SPOOFE wrote:

Radiohead's OK Computer album was covered by the Easy Star All Stars and it's all-around a great album.

Currently I'm listening to the Danny Lohner 'remix' of Bring Me The Disco King by David Bowie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLRETBpf5q4

I can't say that I like this or the original version better... they both have something to offer. Not really a remix, more like a new recording, a duet with Bowie and MJK of Tool/APC... definitely brings enough to the table to warrant the new version... also I'm pretty sure they re-recorded Bowie's vocals for this one. Also, really well produced... great stereo demo material. Lohner has quickly become one of those that I turn to for great audio much like Steely Dan or Nine Inch Nails.

WalkCMD
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:37 am

Yeah Yeah Yeahs "It's Blitz!" - easily one of my top 5 favorite albums.
Lenovo Y560 laptop, Intel i7 Q720 1.6 Ghz
ATi 5730 1 GB, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB 7200 RPM

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Wanted Dead or Alive -- Bon Jovi

Richie's solo is just sick.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:54 pm

Beethoven's 9th Symphony

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Born Under Punches, off the Talking Heads album Remain In Light.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Robben Ford & the Blue Line - Handful of Blues...the CD no less. :)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:28 pm

I've just listened to all of the Amy Whitcomb videos on YouTube. Delilah was booted off of The Sing Off on Monday's show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhnog97KxSk
Here's an earlier version of her singing the same song with piano accompaniment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf1GN8ohZ2c

On my commute to-and-from work, I've been listening to the 80's on 8, since my normal sports talk radio shows have been running nothing but Joe Paterno lynching calls for the whole week. :(

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 pm

MC Frontalot. Trying to chase down a problem with Kubuntu, mpg321, and ogg123; something to do with the latter two not using ALSA apparently.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:28 pm

bthylafh wrote:
MC Frontalot. Trying to chase down a problem with Kubuntu, mpg321, and ogg123; something to do with the latter two not using ALSA apparently.

Which version of Kubuntu? And by "not using ALSA" do you mean you've removed PulseAudio?

Edit: Well, there does seem to be a problem with ogg123's ALSA output on Kubuntu 11.10, at least. When I try it, the sound is very distorted. Have you tried sending its output through PulseAudio instead (-d pulse option)?

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:26 am

SPOOFE wrote:
Born Under Punches, off the Talking Heads album Remain In Light.

BiffStroganoffsky wrote:
Robben Ford & the Blue Line - Handful of Blues...the CD no less. :)

Going to give both of those a listen soon...

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:18 am

just brew it! wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

Which version of Kubuntu? And by "not using ALSA" do you mean you've removed PulseAudio?

Edit: Well, there does seem to be a problem with ogg123's ALSA output on Kubuntu 11.10, at least. When I try it, the sound is very distorted. Have you tried sending its output through PulseAudio instead (-d pulse option)?

Will try that tonight when I get home. I could tell it was /something/ with ALSA, though, because mpg123-alsa would play but those other two would not.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:13 pm

The new Animals As Leaders album. Metal just doesn't get any more jazzy than this.

Also been listening to a lot of Periphery. I guess my recent Dream Theater show has brought back my interest in the technical side of music. Anyone have any good recommendations for more prog metal bands, specifically the ones that fit heavily into jazz fusion?
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:28 pm

John Zorn's Christmas Album on NPR Music

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:24 pm

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:
The new Animals As Leaders album. Metal just doesn't get any more jazzy than this.

Also been listening to a lot of Periphery. I guess my recent Dream Theater show has brought back my interest in the technical side of music. Anyone have any good recommendations for more prog metal bands, specifically the ones that fit heavily into jazz fusion?
If you like Animals as Leaders (who are awesome live, BTW) and Periphery, you should definitely check out Tesseract. At least, you should check out their album "One". It's a friggin' amazing album, unfortunately the singer on the album left the band shortly after its release. What I've heard from the new singer singing the "old" material just doesn't sit well with me.

If you haven't already, you should also check out Intronaut (amazing live), Isis, Mastodon, and Last Chance to Reason (amazing live, too).

Tesseract - Nascent
TesseracT - Deception, Concealing Fate Part 2
Intronaut - Elegy
Mastodon - Oblivion
Last Chance To Reason - Upload Complete

For things that aren't nearly as heavy but still ridiculously good, you should definitely listen to Dead Letter Circus and Fair to Midland, both of whom I'm going to see Friday night in Dallas. I really can't stop singing the praises of Dead Letter Circus. They are an amazing band, and some of the most humble people that I've had the honor to meet. Talk about guys that are thankful to their fans. Fair to Midland also put on a hell of a show, and I'm eager to see both bands for the second time (Merry Christmas to me ;)).

Dead Letter Circus - Cage (my favorite track)
Dead Letter Circus - One Step
Dead Letter Circus - Here We Divide
Dead Letter Circus - Big
Dead Letter Circus - Reaction
Fair to Midland - Musical Chairs
Fair to Midland - Dance of the Manatee

I think you and I have very similar tastes, so please watch all of these videos and/or check the bands out and let me know what you think.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:04 am

Macky Gee - "Let It Snow" (DNB Remix) - [ http://soundcloud.com/mackygee/macky-ge ... t-snow-dnb ]