Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

PC Gaming Preference - wasd or Numpad?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Being ambidextrous, I've always prefered the Numpad. As a linear layout with lots of keys and bigger buttons around, it always seemed to make sense to me. But, apparently, Skyrim doesn't want people to move with the numpad. Am I that much in the minority here? There has to be other fellow-gerbils that game with the numpad. In my cursory research (wikipedia), there is a whole article about arrow keys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_keys

So what do you use?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: PC Gaming Preference - wasd or Numpad?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:26 pm

wasd + mouse. Been that way since the original Half-Life in '99. Prior I used the arrow keys (not numpad), brokets, Enter, and Space, no mouse.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:06 pm

I'm used to WASD as well. Strange that they don't let you set your own if necessary, though.

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:13 pm

WASD. In the Mechwarrior days it was arrow keys for legs and page navigation keys for torso twist/pitch and jump jets, with some numpad keys for legs / torse center. I'm doubting all other games I've played add up to the time I spent on mw3...

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:48 pm

I almost never go with the default key bind settings, but the basic WASD+ stays the same.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Chalk up another for: WASD + mouse

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:30 pm

I have a weird scheme that I developed during my Descent II days:

CTRL is forward, ALT is reverse, Z is left, X is right, C is crouch, Shift is Jump, Spacebar is "use", and various other buttons around that area perform various other functions depending on the game (S is often zoom, or "Scope", for instance).

So no, I don't use the WASD scheme...

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:34 pm

ModernPrimitive wrote:
WASD. In the Mechwarrior days it was arrow keys for legs and page navigation keys for torso twist/pitch and jump jets, with some numpad keys for legs / torse center. I'm doubting all other games I've played add up to the time I spent on mw3...
Thanks for the nostalgia.

I'm all about WASD but I have been contemplating a gamepad like the Nostromo.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:08 am

Mine is a slight variation of WASD.

I use WAXD and mouse. I map the S key to crouch or something usually because it was easier for some game in the past that had it mapped to the Shift or Alt button.

sircharles32
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:45 am

I'm a rightly, but mouse with my left hand.
So, with that said, I use the arrow keys (not the numb pad).
Workstation: Phenom II X4 965
Every-Day: Athlon II X4 630
Servers: Athlon X2 BE-2400, A8-7600
Gym: Opteron 150

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:50 am

WASD + Mouse. However depending on the game I sometimes re-map to ESDF and macro the other keys. I played WoW ESDF.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:50 am

Numpad + Mouse for main controls.
+ Arrow and the above 6 keys for extra functions.

And I also tries to keep the same functions on the same buttons no matter what the game. While the layout has changed slightly since more advanced games uses more keys and different ways, I always update within all my games. The biggest addition was adding quickknife / melee to Numpad 7 instead of having it for scope-zoom level since more and more games starting using the mousewheel for that function when scoped.

Flying / Mech / Descent will forever be on the joystick for me.

ShadowTiger
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 pm

I usually use WASD but there are a few exceptions.

I think the default setup for the rainbow six games used the numpad (at least the older ones).

Also when playing Angband or any other 2d game where you want to move diagonally the numpad is better.

I think developers should support both.

blanchjd
Gerbil In Training

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:27 pm

I use the numpad on the right hand and mouse with the left in games. My right hand had been trained for years to use the numpad for games like King's Quest (and other Sierra games), and then Wolfenstein, and Doom used the numpad as well, so when 3D games came along like quake and then unreal, It was much easier for me to learn to use the left with the mouse than to train myself to do WASD. Also, I invert the mouse so moving down looks up. Chalk that up to too much flight sims when younger as well.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:10 am

My preference is for Numpad. This probably came about as the movement keys are more horizontally aligned and there are more map-able surrounding keys that I find easier to find in a pinch. Looks like I'm in the minority. Though I've settled for WSAD when playing on a less spacious surface as I mouse right-handed.

Don't know why a game like Skyrim would make you pick one or the other...

demalion
Gerbil In Training

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:40 am

I've always used the NumPad, also for the alignment and extra keys, and also for the usefulness of key shapes, the confined area, and the key bump to always be able to have my hand properly placed for using the right keys, without looking.

So, wait...is Skyrim another addition in the recent line of apparently incomprehensibly lazy or careless keybinding implementations that has issues with the Numeric Keypad? I was surprised by Mirror's Edge breaking this when prior Unreal Engine games seemed to do it properly, and then flabbergasted when an id game, for crying out loud, didn't handle the Numeric Keypad properly (mentioned it in my comments on Rage).

I really thought this was a solved problem, but this just seems to be getting worse recently...and I don't understand why when so many prior games handle it properly, and prior codebases from the companies having these problems. Seeing it with Rage, I began to wonder if this was something to do with XNA or some Microsoft game library or change in code or libraries handling keypresses that has been becoming more widespread or something...?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:13 am

I used to re-map everything, using arrow keys, inverted look and right mouse as jump, but have since decided to adapt to the default controls of whatever game(s) I'm playing at the time. Switching from BF:BC2 to BF3 was kind of a pain though as the number row keys are transposed among other annoyances.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:32 am

I actually used default keys in the BF3 Alpha and Beta, and boy, it was a pita. Now in the final release I use the numpad and it is just so much better, but yeah, some things are just hard to get working.

As demalion mentioned, Mirror's Edge was the first game I found that couldnt actually bind numpad-enter, which made me look for a solution. The first lazy solution was to download the AutoHotkey and run a script to rebind. That said, the AutoHotkey util is great. Not only can you rebind buttons or implement macros, you can also do it context dependent so if you alt-tab out, it disregards all bindings, switch bidningds dependon app, etc.

After a while I for some reason remembered the config-files and edited them directly as a solution. Beyond Mirror's Edge, the same problem was also in the new Deus Ex:HR, where you had to go in and bind the ascii-value for numpad enter if you wanted to be able to use it. People in the Deus Ex foras was glad for that a solution to that problem. What's weird is that it had to be crowd sourced instead of the game-maker just saying how to do it.

adampk17
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:18 pm

WASD for FPS games and QWES for WoW
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

CB5000
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:31 pm

I use WASD for everything including MMO's, 3rd person shooters, hack and slash games, and 1st person games.
use to use numpad and arrow keys back in the day of wolfenstein but have since changed it.... tho I don't remember when I've changed it.

Seems like almost every game uses WASD or some variation of it by default now.