Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

When was the last time you purchased PC Software for your personal use?

Less than a year
36 (49%)
1 - 2 years ago
16 (22%)
2 - 5 years ago
7 (10%)
>5 years ago
4 (5%)
One of the above options, but I've only purchased games
10 (14%)

Total votes: 73

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Last Time You Purchased PC Software

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:28 am

My question is not about piracy.

Phew...

Now that that's out of the way: I was thinking to myself that lately the only software I buy on the PC are games. Everything else, I already own or I can find a great alternative from free and/or open source projects. There are free defragmenters, OSes, backup solutions, games, burning software, ripping software, audio/visual creation software, anti-virus and the list goes on. This didn't always use to be the case. I remember being jealous of people who had Photoshop because, at the time, there wasn't anything else like it our there (and definitely not for free). Now I can do a quick google search for GIMP or paint.net and be set.

I also remember having to pay for a home license for anti-virus software. :roll:

Oh, and Microsoft Encarta? I loved having all that information at my fingertips (this was before the internet was so prolific).

Anyway, I left a poll up to get some statistics, but what PC software (besides games) have you purchased recently? The poll is primarily for personal use, but if you'd like to share something you had to buy for a business I'd love to hear it. This can even include operating systems, and mundane software like TurboTax, or something.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Last Time You Purchased PC Software

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:05 am

Ah, let's see...I upgraded to MS Office Home and Student over the summer. Oh, and I upgraded to OS X Lion and Pro Tools 9 not too long ago, and Finale PrintMusic 2011 in March, and before that it was probably Windows 7 right at release in 2009. I don't spend a lot on non-gaming software. Four software releases in a year is a ton of software for me.

I don't pay for utilities, though. I'm a total leech of freeware. I remember having to pay for Partition Magic in the past, but now I use GParted live CDs. Same goes for AV - used to buy McAfee, now I use MSSE free. CDBurnerXP instead of Nero, the list goes on and on.

OTOH, I remember NOT having to pay for Office because I got 2000 and later 2003 through work for "free" though I suppose looking back on it, it was not exactly legit.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

cheerful hamster
Gerbil

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:11 am

I buy Universal Audio plugins, their platform (DSP card) has never been compromised and is unlikely to be, and while they're more expensive than they used to be the quality is unmatched. I've worked in commercial project studios where virtually everything was unauthorized. Luckily I started buying software when I had a lot more money (late '90s), and if it wasn't for the cheap upgrade pricing...well I wouldn't buy very much, let's say. :wink:

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:15 am

Steam sales. 'Nuff said.

edit: Reading fail. Besides games... hmm. Last software purchased for myself would probably be the Win7 Pro license for $29 back in Dec '09.
Last edited by bthylafh on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:14 am

For my own personal use? Probably 2-5 years. But I'll be purchasing a Win7 license shortly (if that counts... wasn't sure if you meant *any* software, or just applications). And I plan to get the new Serious Sam game.

I've purchased PC software for other family members in the past year though, so if the question had been worded slightly differently ("non-work-related use" vs. "your personal use") my vote would've changed.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:36 am

I paid $10 for some software that would allow me to copy the contents of my iPod to my computer. There are free ways to do it, but they are much less automated (generally trial versions of paid software that require you to babysit the process). This was about a year and a half ago.

Before that I can't remember buying any non-games except for Windows XP more than half a decade ago. I got Windows 7 free from my university (hurray for MSDNAA). I use open office for office applications and I don't really use much other non-game software.

I guess to be completely honest I should mention that I use one of those tax programs each year. My father buys a copy each year, which allows something like 3 or 4 tax returns. I just use one of those returns. I suppose that counts as using proprietary software.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:40 am

Last year, MS Office 2010 was available through my work for like fifteen bucks or something ... I though eh, why not. That was the last time I bought software, though I'm getting increasingly annoyed with the shabby software that came with my Blu-Ray writer and I may end up coughing up money for the latest version of Nero or whatever it's called these days. Aside from that and not counting video games ... Probably goes back to Windows 7 without anything in between. There *may* have been five bucks for some very useful utility but I can't remember.

Oh yeah! And tax software as mentioned above (UFile).

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 am

I pay yearly subscriptions for dongle-licensed process modelling software. (Need it so that when I don't have the internet I can still run my programs required for work). My job is primarily field based, and we don't have constant power (e.g. cyclone shutdowns), but I still need access during these times.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

sircharles32
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:59 am

My needs haven't changed for at least 6-7 years (no longer in school).
On the rare occasion that I don't have a piece of software that does what I need, I've been lucky in being able to find free ones, whether they're demos, allowing me to do what I need (and then I ditch them), or freeware in general. So, no. I haven't needed to purchase any software in a very long time.

Hell, now I'm using Linux.
Workstation: Phenom II X4 965
Every-Day: Athlon II X4 630
Servers: Athlon X2 BE-2400, A8-7600
Gym: Opteron 150

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:00 am

cheerful hamster wrote:
I buy Universal Audio plugins, their platform (DSP card) has never been compromised and is unlikely to be, and while they're more expensive than they used to be the quality is unmatched. I've worked in commercial project studios where virtually everything was unauthorized. Luckily I started buying software when I had a lot more money (late '90s), and if it wasn't for the cheap upgrade pricing...well I wouldn't buy very much, let's say. :wink:

Everything I've ever heard about UAD's cards is good. I just never have wanted to shell out for a DSP. :p OTOH, I have the Waves Musician 1 and 2 bundles, which I caught both of them on good sales, and the Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack (which I got upgrade pricing on because I got a free copy of Strike and Velvet with my new interface and PT9 install) and totally didn't think about listing them in my post. I'm good with native processing. I know a couple guys that have downloaded thousands of dollars in plugins, and I really don't think that's all that cool.

I really take a good amount of pride in knowing I actually own everything in my DAW (and my other software as well).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:45 am

TechNet every year. It's all you need.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:49 am

sircharles32 wrote:
Hell, now I'm using Linux.

Yup, same here (for several years now). I do still have Windows installed in a VM for those inevitable "Windows emergencies" though... :lol:

kvndoom

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:08 pm

I bought Office 2007 for 10 bucks through work a couple years ago.

I got Windows 7 for free through school, but I don't have a computer worthy of it yet.

I bought Multisim student edition ($50) and Vissim/Comm ($140) for school.

For personal use, there hasn't been much commercial software I felt I needed anymore.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Office 2010 through work a few months ago. Also bought Microsoft Visio that same day. I bought a copy of Win 7 64bit OEM nearly a year ago. Power2Go 7 about 6 months ago. Unless I missed something, that sums up my purchases for the past year.

squeeb
Gerbil

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:15 pm

If you count OS, win7 a few years ago. Other than that and games, I couldn't honestly say.
Ryzen 5 2600 | 32GB DDR4 | Radeon 5700

SuperSpy

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:45 pm

My latest adventure trying to buy PC software:

I read an article on ars reviewing Sonic Generations, and figured it would give it a try. Now you can go do any 2-bit retailer and hand them money and receive a shrink-wrapped disc for the game. That is if you want it on xbox360 or ps3. If you want it for PC, you have to buy it digitally and download it.

Now first of all, my internet connection at home is pretty slow, and the download weighs in at around 6 GB. On top of that you have to sign up with whatever crappy digital distributor has it. Then you have to install either steam, or some other 'games manager' in order to use it, which will always check for an internet connection before you can use it, etc.

I decided to save my money instead.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

kvndoom

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:56 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I guess to be completely honest I should mention that I use one of those tax programs each year. My father buys a copy each year, which allows something like 3 or 4 tax returns. I just use one of those returns. I suppose that counts as using proprietary software.

Ah, I had forgotten about that! I was using tax software every year too, but now that I have a house, I'll be going to a tax professional from here on.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:25 am

kvndoom wrote:
I was using tax software every year too, but now that I have a house, I'll be going to a tax professional from here on.

Why? Schedule A is a piece of cake to fill out even using old school paper forms; with tax software it'll be a complete no-brainer.

The mortgage interest and taxes come straight off of the Form 1099 your lender sends you. If you pay state income tax (reported on the Form W-2 from your employer), itemize that too. Add the three numbers together. Done.

Anarchist
Gerbil

Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:05 am

turbotax every year ...

TheEmrys

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:10 pm

Just got W7 Home Premium for the HTPC.
Before that, I bought Turbo Tax for taxes every year (it really is worth it over the free stuff).
I am looking to pony up for some BD software so I can watch Blu-Rays on my HTPC. And I'll be willing to pay for the right software.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade back when they had their pre-sales promotion. Before that? Office 2k7. Before that? ummm...

Pretty much everything I need/use I can find legal free versions of it. Then again, I really only use my computer for surfing the 'net, watching movies/tv and playing the odd game.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Mostly audio software - though I haven't been as active in my engineering efforts as in previous years. Pro Tools 9, some plug ins here and there, the new version of Reaper.

Nice to know I'm not the only audio geek on here!

UAD is rad but I'm still stuck with my two original pci cards. Sadly no more plugins for those it looks like.
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:08 pm

I hadn't bought any software since getting Office 2007 for $15 through my work in 2008. Even that purchase was breaking the mould as I try to use open source where ever possible. Recently I purchased dBpoweramp to rip all of my CDs to FLAC. This kind of purchase I can justify as its so much easier to use than the open source alternative EAC.
FDISK /MBR

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Good question

I try to go open source/free for most software, games being the exception. Also now that more things (and almost everything software) can be purchased online, I wonder how long the retail end of software will last. Most retail stores seem to have 3 sections of software these days:
1. AAA games (ie; Battlefield 3, CoD, Starcraft2, ElderScrolls 5)
2. Childrens/"education" games/software that you can get legally get online, or really similar stuff online
3. System utilies/Windows-OS, and except for windows itself you can get all that functionality from online software for free
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Past month: Win7 Pro OEM, Nero Burning ROM 11, and Half-Life Source (was reloading my Steam library, and for $10 it seemed more practical than re-installing the original).

Within the past year there was also Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 -- mainly because PSE's filters, magic wand tool, and some other bits and bolts are more comprehensive and polished than what the free applications can do.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Ringofett
Gerbil

Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 pm

I bought dbpoweramp some years back, too.

Also bought a Ninite pack; helps me help a couple people keep their software up to date -- including myself. Wish it covered a little more software, though.

Also have a monthly subscription to PoolStudio, but thats work-related, and I use SpiderOak to sync and backup things.

Oh! And, a million years ago... yeah, I actually bought a license for WinRAR. 7zip still hasn't quite caught up in terms of UI, but WinRAR's seriously resting on its laurels.

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Well, does paying for services like DropBox and Evernote count in your definition of PC software? I have not voted yet because I was not clear on this.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:59 pm

Tons o'software I've purchase legitimately...:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO ... Traktor Scratch Pro 2 ... BeerSmith 2 ... mIRC ... Bandwidth Monitor ... MacDrive Standard ... VisualSVN ... etc... etc...

Ringofett
Gerbil

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:08 pm

thegleek wrote:

... Tempting, tempting ... Must research further ...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:45 pm

codedivine wrote:
Well, does paying for services like DropBox and Evernote count in your definition of PC software? I have not voted yet because I was not clear on this.

I don't think so; they're more services than software, IMO. But I didn't post the poll so I could be wrong. :p