TES V: Skyrim

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Re: TES V: Skyrim

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:23 pm

DancinJack wrote:You really don't need to go through every single thing to see if it is worth it. You should set yourself up with a ratio you want. I only only pick up things that are 5to1 gold to weight ratio or higher. I actually like things to be more valuable than that, but sometimes you can't always get that stuff. You can't worry about having TONS of money early. The more quests you do and places you visit, the more money you will make. Talk to almost everyone in towns to get quests. You will be on your way.

I think I have having issues with these areas specifically:

1. I travel very far (non-quest driven), and it winds me up fighting against magical npc's that kick my arse without me having a chance.

2. I enjoy (big time) stealing items and it usually winds up in a fight that i cannot beat the npc, and i die.

3. i selected that 'cat' creature at the very beginning, is this a wise race to pick from?
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Khajit(sp?) are good, if you intend to play the game as a pickpocket or a thief; they excel at stealth. They aren't as battle hardy though, in the same way that a Redguard would be (though you can build them up with skills and armor).

I'd be likely to equip a Khajitt with fast, short-range weapons like daggers, and a bow for the occasional distance kill. A basic healing spell, or something that can enhance their stealth might also be a bonus, though magic is also not their forte.

Every character has its pros and cons.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races
Core i7-2600K @4.2GHz, GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD5, 4x4GB G.Skill RipJaws PC1866
Corsair 650D case, Seasonic X750 Gold PSU
WD `Raptor 600GB boot, WD Caviar Black 1TB data, NEC 7200 DVDRW
2x Radeon 6970 2GB in Crossfire, X-Fi Titanium, Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf15
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Stealing is one of those things that I have avoided in TES games. Most of the time the rewards are small and to me not worth the risk. Pickpocketing, now thats something I do occasionally. Sometimes stealing an item that looks good in someones house or shop can be attained either by doing a quest chain for the owner or by doing Dungeons.

For myself, I pick an area (city or town) and do all the quest that the indviduals of said area have. Then I move on to the next area. Many times there will be a quest or event that will unlock another area and I finish said quest then go back to my starting area. Only when I have exhausted all quests do I move on.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:10 pm

thegleek wrote:I think I have having issues with these areas specifically:

1. I travel very far (non-quest driven), and it winds me up fighting against magical npc's that kick my arse without me having a chance.

2. I enjoy (big time) stealing items and it usually winds up in a fight that i cannot beat the npc, and i die.

3. i selected that 'cat' creature at the very beginning, is this a wise race to pick from?

1. That happens to everyone early in the game. Magic is pretty powerful in Skyrim and can get you kill pretty easily. You need to do some low level quest to improve your sneaking (ctrl) and lvl up your one handed, probably light armor, and archery.

2. Stealing stuff does end up in a fight a lot of the time. You have to get leveled up to win some of those fights. Avoid stealing stuff really early on so you don't get crushed. Pickpocket stuff increases your sneak a lot and can be fun too. Sneak on someone from behind and steal stuff. Make sure they're alone or nearly alone though. You can end up in fights this way too.

3. Your race is fine. You can excel at whatever you want really.

I chose Wood Elf (Bosmer). I focus on sneak, one handed (daggers), a little bit of magic, and archery. My primary weapon is my bow. I sneak around almost everywhere. My archery is up to level 55 now I think. You can take down a lot of enemies from a good distance with good archery. Sneak attacts offer 2x damage, and I've got a perk now that does 6x damange from sneak attacks from behind. It's pretty sweet.

Just go on some low level quests that you are directed to. They won't give you a ton of enemies that you can't handle early on. While you're doing those quests though, search or side quests. Talk to people you encounter along the way and do some jobs for them.

You really need to pick a few things you want to excel at though. Like someone said above, try something like what I'm doing with your guy. One handed/bow/light armor/little bit of magic. Once you have that figured out, it gets easier to level up.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Just wanted to say that I built a Utility PC identical to the one from the most recent build guide (had to sub an EVGA 560 as Newegg was sold out of the ASUS) last week before Skyrim launched. Couple of things:
1. it was the smoothest, easiest PC build I've ever done.
2. The thing is SILENT. My old PC sounded like a helicopter taking off.
3. It plays Skyrim on Ultra flawlessly and beautifully.
KHoram
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:30 pm

tanker27 wrote:For myself, I pick an area (city or town) and do all the quest that the indviduals of said area have. Then I move on to the next area. Many times there will be a quest or event that will unlock another area and I finish said quest then go back to my starting area. Only when I have exhausted all quests do I move on.

This right here is almost exactly what I do. I started out doing a few main quest quests and then just picked a town and went at it. Every once in a while I go back to the main quest just to keep things moving with the dragon stuff.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Ok. How come no one told me these downloaded Steam games come with PDF manuals?!

So I downloaded, printed, and read skyrim_gfw_manual-07.pdf and now I have somewhat of a clue on how to play this damn game! :lol:

- I wasn't even aware of some of the keyboard commands (T = wait, ALT = sprint, Z = shout, C = run straight, J = quest journal, etc...!). too funny.

- I didn't know READING these stupid books (Skills Books, Spell Tomes) increase/improve skill/spells! ARGH!

- As I was leveling up, now at level 3, I never noticed I had all these "perks' to use... So i used them too! woot!
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:50 pm

DancinJack wrote:You really need to pick a few things you want to excel at though.
Most RPGs are just like Curly says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxY31-FcDVA&t=1m04s
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Whos idea was it to make the ALT key default for sprinting??? :o

I hate it when you get handed a quest that is way out of your league. Then you go to location thinking everything is ok and BLAM, you get blasted by a spellcaster with a fireball and die...
ish718
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 pm

ish718 wrote:Whos idea was it to make the ALT key default for sprinting??? :o

I hate it when you get handed a quest that is way out of your league. Then you go to location thinking everything is ok and BLAM, you get blasted by a spellcaster with a fireball and die...

It would be nice if they would color the enemy names kind of like how WoW does it so you would know if you are about to get raped back to the stone age.
Having twins has dramatically reduced the time I have to nerd out.
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 pm

ish718 wrote:Whos idea was it to make the ALT key default for sprinting??? :o

You should go to the college. You can learn a spell call lesser ward that blocks magic.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:39 pm

DancinJack wrote:You should go to the college. You can learn a spell call lesser ward that blocks magic.

Your mom goes to college. But seriously, I'm at the college right now. Just did the intro walk around with the lady. Hopefully I can pick up some good spells.
Corrado

Postposted on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Corrado wrote:
DancinJack wrote:You should go to the college. You can learn a spell call lesser ward that blocks magic.

Your mom goes to college. But seriously, I'm at the college right now. Just did the intro walk around with the lady. Hopefully I can pick up some good spells.

I call it Hogwarts.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:31 am

The menu interface of this game seems to be infected by consolitis. :o
ish718
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:34 am

Oh tip #1001 - Dont forget to activate the stones. The Lover one is 15% to level faster ALL skills.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:47 am

KHoram wrote:Just wanted to say that I built a Utility PC identical to the one from the most recent build guide (had to sub an EVGA 560 as Newegg was sold out of the ASUS) last week before Skyrim launched. Couple of things:
1. it was the smoothest, easiest PC build I've ever done.
2. The thing is SILENT. My old PC sounded like a helicopter taking off.
3. It plays Skyrim on Ultra flawlessly and beautifully.

Be happy you're not trying to play this game with AMD cards :).

Negative Crossfire scaling (as in activating the second card causes 20-30% lower performance) and the slight pausing issue are annoying enough.

Thankfully though, after ditching MSAA and checking the FXAA box (which is like 4x MSAA to me), I'm able to play on just one HD6950 2GB at 2560x1600 with everything else turned up.

As for the game, aside from having a butt ugly engine with incredibly low geometric detail and awful character animations all around, is still quite beautiful and a blast to play. It's much more engrossing and smoother to ease into than Oblivion was, almost reminding me of what an open-world Bioware game would be like. And my Nord with his giant hammer is almost unstoppable!
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:55 am

Airmantharp wrote:Be happy you're not trying to play this game with AMD cards :).

Negative Crossfire scaling (as in activating the second card causes 20-30% lower performance) and the slight pausing issue are annoying enough.

Thankfully though, after ditching MSAA and checking the FXAA box (which is like 4x MSAA to me), I'm able to play on just one HD6950 2GB at 2560x1600 with everything else turned up.

As for the game, aside from having a butt ugly engine with incredibly low geometric detail and awful character animations all around, is still quite beautiful and a blast to play. It's much more engrossing and smoother to ease into than Oblivion was, almost reminding me of what an open-world Bioware game would be like. And my Nord with his giant hammer is almost unstoppable!

There are mods out already to fix the facial textures and round out the textures.
Corrado

Postposted on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:32 pm

I haven't had any issues. Albeit I'm only running a single 5850 1GB. I hope the real texture mods come out soon. I want to play through some of my first go-round with that. Having said that, I do still think the game is really pretty. The Fallout textures/items are a little annoying, but beggars can't be choosers.

The DB quests are so awesome. I have spent the last 5-6hrs of my gameplay on them and don't plan on stopping yet. They should make a whole DB game.

e: I did want to say. I have everything in-game as high as it will go. I have only noticed one situation where I can see the framerate drop. Otherwise the game has been running great. Besides the 3-4 crashes to desktop per day.

###must remember to hit F5 often###
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:22 pm

DB Quests?
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر
Looking for Knowledge
Emperor Gerbilius I
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:04 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:DB Quests?

I was wondering the same...
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:30 am

Dark brotherhood...ie assassins guild
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:40 am

Starfalcon wrote:Dark brotherhood...ie assassins guild

What city do those start in?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:13 am

Corrado wrote:There are mods out already to fix the facial textures and round out the textures.

Link to make it a helpful post? They can't add better textures where the texture detail is absent.

I've been having quite a bit of fun playing this. It's basically Oblivion with slightly updated gameplay, a different story, and slightly better weather effects. Essentially it looks almost identical to Oblivion, which really isn't a surprise considering the recommended specs. The UI is still a steaming PoS and is even more consolized then it's predecessor (this is one of the most frustrating things in the game). I really can't wait till UI mods come out, but from what I've heard modding is mostly on hold till they release the modding SDK. They really need to work on companion AIs too. Crafting skills are a pain to deal with as are spells.

Overall it's a blast from the past. I like the storyline more and they toned down the dungeons and made them more friendly to players instead of having a crapton that are huge and all look the same. They replaced Oblivion gates with Dragons too, which isn't all that bad. They did almost no balancing in the game though, its very easy to become extremely over powered or extremely underpowered. You usually end up either dieing instantly or winning instantly. I've gotten to a point where I one hit everything and two shot random spawn dragons... bleh. I really wish they took some queues from Dragon Age and Portal and added more character depth and dialogue that takes place randomly. It adds a ton of life to the game rather then monotone quest conversations.

I guess I can't complain that much, this is one of the best games of the year... which was one of the best games five years ago...

Cause pictures make everyone happy.
Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:48 am

FWIW, curse.com is now serving up mods for Skyrim. They are even offering money to mod makers for the best mods contest.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Airmantharp wrote:Be happy you're not trying to play this game with AMD cards :).

I suppose the key word would be card(s), plural. The game plays great with a single 6970, with Ultra detail and FXAA turned on, at 1920x1200.

AMD's new Catalyst profiles were released on 11/15. I don't know for sure, but that may fix CF issues in Skyrim.
Core i7-2600K @4.2GHz, GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD5, 4x4GB G.Skill RipJaws PC1866
Corsair 650D case, Seasonic X750 Gold PSU
WD `Raptor 600GB boot, WD Caviar Black 1TB data, NEC 7200 DVDRW
2x Radeon 6970 2GB in Crossfire, X-Fi Titanium, Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf15
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm getting silk-smooth quality on High with a 4890, but I'm only at 1680x1050

I can't wait to get to the Dark brotherhood line, by far the best part of Oblivion for me

I'm a Wood Elf focusing on sneaking, archery, pickpocketing, and random thievery. I'm a little concerned I might be run over at higher levels.
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:02 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:Dark brotherhood...ie assassins guild

What city do those start in?

Go to sleep in your house. I slept a night in my house in Whiterun and Astrid came to me in my sleep.

Decent post mod for this early.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=240
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:06 pm

You have to kill 'innocent' people (like a shop keeper, guards, random townsfolk) before the dark brotherhood will contact you, same way it was in oblivion.
Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:26 am

Bensam123 wrote:You have to kill 'innocent' people (like a shop keeper, guards, random townsfolk) before the dark brotherhood will contact you, same way it was in oblivion.

BAH! I'm not that ruthless.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:20 am

tanker27 wrote:
Bensam123 wrote:You have to kill 'innocent' people (like a shop keeper, guards, random townsfolk) before the dark brotherhood will contact you, same way it was in oblivion.

BAH! I'm not that ruthless.

I am!

And from what I heard from a friend, there's a strange task which involves eating people?!
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming