Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Will RAM prices fall even further?

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:01 am

With the hard drive shortage hurting motherboard sales, will demand for RAM drop as well? If so, we could see already low RAM prices dip even further.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Will RAM prices fall even further?

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 am

Interesting theory. Just when you think it can't POSSIBLY get any lower, it does. 8)

I saw 16gb kits for under $60 AR last week, and I can still remember paying $270 for a 1mb RAM upgrade on my 386/20 that, with 2mb total RAM, would allow the pilot's arm and hand to be seen when playing Wing Commander. Ohhh, those were the days ..
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:38 am

I bet they don't by much - OEM and DIY systems alike can always take more RAM, if it gets cheaper than at the very least OEMs will double up on it for the marketing benefits alone. I'll be keeping one eye on the prices anyway.

Walkintarget wrote:
Interesting theory. Just when you think it can't POSSIBLY get any lower, it does. 8)

I saw 16gb kits for under $60 AR last week, and I can still remember paying $270 for a 1mb RAM upgrade on my 386/20 that, with 2mb total RAM, would allow the pilot's arm and hand to be seen when playing Wing Commander. Ohhh, those were the days ..

Tch! You must have been loaded - bet you had a Roland MT-32 just for playing video games, too. :P Upgrades are a lot easier to justify nowadays, aren't they?

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:05 pm

TwistedKestrel wrote:
Tch! You must have been loaded - bet you had a Roland MT-32 just for playing video games, too. :P Upgrades are a lot easier to justify nowadays, aren't they?

Oh heck no !! I made due with an Ensoniq Soundscape Pro. That ran me about $275 when I bought it (Ohh sweet, you can hear the sound of the ball hitting the court in Lakers Vs. Celtics now !!) The Roland looked promising, but at some point disposable income dried up and as long as it worked, I was fine with that.

I just built a new rig a month ago, beast of a PC, ran me about $1400 total, and it is still sitting on the bench, patiently waiting for me to retire my current PC. I'm sentimental like that :lol:
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

cheapFreeAgent
Gerbil

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Walkintarget wrote:
...(Ohh sweet, you can hear the sound of the ball hitting the court in Lakers Vs. Celtics now !!)...

Oh yes. I can still remember the sound when I hit the 3s, or Kareem's skyhook. :P

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:34 pm

To answer the OP, I kinda hope so in the short term. I could use 16GB and picking up another 2x4GB set matching the Ripjaws I have for $30 or so would be SWEET. I don't need no stinkin hard drive...right now.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

IamTHEvilONE
Gerbil In Training

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:05 pm

I've seen deals in Canada for 2x4GB Kingston HyperX on for $24.99 ... or the Mushkin Silverline 2x4GB for the same after a $5 MiR.

With the introduction of 8GB DIMMs, one would think that the price should migrate lower across the board as the focus shifts to higher capacity modules ... pending unforeseen circumstances.