Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

P5-133XL
Gerbil

Re: Question about proper grounding - FIXED!

Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:59 am

Trellot wrote:
Everyone,

Thanks again for all of your comments on this thread. Sorry I haven't posted this sooner, but I've been busy with work and all of that. I was able to discover and subsequently fix what was causing this computer freeze/no boot issue. It turns out there were three bad capacitors on the motherboard, one of which was bulging out on the bottom; was able to remove the old caps and solder on three new ones. Computer is back in business.

Issue Resolved,

Trellot

Not really permanently resolved. If you have three now, you will have more later. What you did is only a temporary fix.
Put those spare CPU/GPU cycles to good use - Folding@Home

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:02 pm

P5-133XL wrote:
Not really permanently resolved. If you have three now, you will have more later. What you did is only a temporary fix.

SOP when discovering a board with bad caps is to replace all electrolytics 1000uF and up that appear to be the same brand as the failing ones. Any that don't *look* bad are probably on the edge, and since the mobo needs to be removed from the case to do the recapping you *really* don't want to do them a few at a time as they fail.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Trellot
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:18 pm

P5-133XL wrote:

Man, I can't get a break on this thread. Laughing out loud! At any rate, thanks again to all of those who've commented here.

~ Trellot
-ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 / Intel Core i5-2500K
-XFX Radeon HD 7970 3072MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
-Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 PSU / Corsair 600T case
-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB / Hitachi Deskstar 750GB