Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Word Perfect 15

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:20 am

Has anybody moved from Word Perfect 14 to 15? Is it worth the bother?

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Re: Word Perfect 15

Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:03 pm

No. Reminds me of moving from Office 2007 to 2010. I heard it is not much and that there is little need to unless there is a killer feature only on the latest one.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:39 pm

They're still releasing new versions of that dinosaur? :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I was as surprised as you are - I'm not laughing, though. To this day I still miss "Make It Fit"-like functionality from MS Office.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:55 pm

TwistedKestrel wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I was as surprised as you are - I'm not laughing, though. To this day I still miss "Make It Fit"-like functionality from MS Office.

It's been 2 1/2 decades yet I still, and will always, long for Word to adopt the "Reveal Codes" switch.

WP5.1 is easy to find in the cruftier portions of the Web and USENET and people are still bodging printer drivers for it. In many ways it's better than Word 2010, especially for those of us who learned computing before the mouse came about and all formatting was keyboard-driven.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

RealityChk
Gerbil

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:23 pm

=== Reveal Codes ===

But Mr. Gates is trying to help. Why would
you EVER want to know why the paragraph numberings
is randomly screwed up in your spec?
Hp h8-1020 i7 Win7 Pro, HyperX 120 GB SSD
too Old & Lazy to build my own

[SDG]Mantis
Gerbil XP

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
It's been 2 1/2 decades yet I still, and will always, long for Word to adopt the "Reveal Codes" switch.

Ditto. But at least they finally made equation editor almost as easy to use as it was in WP 5.1.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:21 pm

Reveal Codes in MS Word?! NEVER!

That would violate a rule MSFT has had for years: do NOT adopt the best ideas from others, EVER! Reveal Codes would only expose how poorly coded MS Word has been for years, especially when it comes to formatting documents.

Having said that, I do miss Reveal Codes. That was and still is the best feature WordPerfect for DOS and Windows ever had.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:27 pm

The world would probably be a better place if we all just learned how to use LaTeX. :wink:

RealityChk
Gerbil

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:46 pm

I remember using ROFF, it worked pretty well.
Hp h8-1020 i7 Win7 Pro, HyperX 120 GB SSD
too Old & Lazy to build my own

P5-133XL
Gerbil

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:13 am

just brew it! wrote:
The world would probably be a better place if we all just learned how to use LaTeX. :wink:

Absolutely NOT - Hand written postscript is the only true and proper way to format a page! :wink: :wink:
Put those spare CPU/GPU cycles to good use - Folding@Home

bryanl
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:54 am

I thought they had 'reveal codes' done in modern page layout software. Wasn't this the big push behind DOCX or whatever?

It's called XML. You just unpack the document file and edit the XML codes ...

But, real wordsmiths use TEX and manually modify the Postscript files as needed ...
Bryan

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:06 am

bryanl wrote:
I thought they had 'reveal codes' done in modern page layout software. Wasn't this the big push behind DOCX or whatever?

No, the push behind XML-based document formats was just to have standardized, documented, royalty-free file formats for office productivity software. Nobody in their right mind would actually try to edit the XML code directly.

Well, more accurately OpenDocument was such an attempt; Microsoft's OpenXML was more like their way of saying "Look! We support open standards too, honest! (*Ahem*... as long as they're ours, and we don't give up control...)"

bryanl
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:04 pm

re: "No, the push behind XML-based document formats was just to have standardized, documented, royalty-free file formats for office productivity software."

looks like I needed a 'tongue in cheek' icon in the message.

didn't think anyone would take something so far out as a literal bald text meaning only ...

oh well,

live and learn. with enough repeats I might, maybe, learn ...
Bryan

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Shift-F7
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

P5-133XL
Gerbil

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:09 pm

bryanl wrote:
didn't think anyone would take something so far out as a literal bald text meaning only ...

oh well,

live and learn. with enough repeats I might, maybe, learn ...

Consider your audience here. Computer people, as a group, tend not to be a bunch of ambiguous touchy-feely types but rather attract the literal minded.
Put those spare CPU/GPU cycles to good use - Folding@Home

jdii1215
Gerbil In Training

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:57 pm

WP X5 has this for it, it is compatible with Vista and Win 7 (and I have been a WP fan and user since WP was at version 3 IIRC). If you get the Home and Student version of WP Office X5(what I am running since I got it for $99.95 at Corel's Black Fridayish shindig which they started early), some of the .pdf functionality is chopped out, but if you opt for the full Word Perfect Office X5 you have a full-featured .pdf editing function set in it. It now has more recent export to MS Office file format options also, they keep improving those filters.

Yes, I use LaTex and Tex from time to time on other folk's computers or when I warm up a MiNt or Ubuntu boot on the laptop via a USB drive, but for a home user like me now(disabled ex-pro) my beloved WP is my normal word processor when I am not using Open Office.org 3.3.0.

bryanl
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:03 pm

re: "Consider your audience here." -- I did. I anticipated a bit better technical awareness and attitude that was creative and could imagine my comment in some realm other than ignorant.

The reason that WordPerfect is still around is mostly lawyers. The legal profession put quite a bit into it and the legacy inertia there is quite strong.

The evolution of such an intimate tool from early electric pencil days where graphics processing was in character generators up through GUI's and the marriage with DTP as Pagemaker and Ventura Publisher influences crept in - along with the advances in fonts and font rendering both on screen and in print - provides excellent material for studying advances in user interfaces and how it is coupled with processing and display technology growth and user adaptation behavior.

Much of the need was well known early (e.g. Knuth's work) in terms of style sheets, citation and bibliography methods, indexing, and document organization. Having gone through this with Newscript on a TRS-80, Sprint, VP, and then DeScribe on OS/2 for cookbooks, directories, white papers and such, I am quite familiar with the investment that can go into technologies that become superseded. The pains of such effort are a major reason why I transitioned to StarOffice (multi-platform being another major consideration). I can well understand why others would stick with legacy software even it if restricts operating environment and has other limitations.
Bryan

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:13 pm

bryanl wrote:
re: "Consider your audience here." -- I did. I anticipated a bit better technical awareness and attitude that was creative and could imagine my comment in some realm other than ignorant.

Well, unfortunately we *do* get a lot of really ignorant comments here on the forums, and occasionally I neglect to glance at the poster's name and/or "joined" date before assessing whether someone is being facetious or just plain clueless. My apologies if you took offense.