Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Topic Author

RIP Linux

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Not RIP in the sense you're thinking.

Recovery Is Possible Linux

I decided to take a risk and gamble on an open box deal of a 2TB WD Caviar Black. It was 50% off and the drive can be returned to the local vendor, but I've only got seven days to do so.

So naturally I was looking for a good SMART tool to view the current status of the drive and to test the drive for faults. and Smartmontools fit the bill.

Now I'm sitting in a Live USB install of Linux. It let me download Chrome from the repository and now I'm surfing the web while a SMART extended test completes. WinPE does offer some level of this flexibility (see BartPE), but the licensed nature of Windows impedes freely sharing pre-built designs.

It's total geek, but I love stuff like this. This little Slackware distro is worth poking at in a VM and keeping in mind the next time you need a recovery platform.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: RIP Linux

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:53 pm

It's not dead yet! It's getting better!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:38 am

Heh... when I saw the subject line, I thought maybe some recent distro had done something to really piss you off (like say Ubuntu's Unity desktop, or GNOME 3), causing you to swear off of using desktop Linux entirely! :lol:

Yes, these lightweight special-purpose Linux distros can be quite handy. I haven't used RIP Linux, but I've used Knoppix for similar things before.

I've also used Ubuntu CDs (their install CDs double as live CDs) to test systems and clone hard drives. When we upgraded the RAID array in the software group's Linux server at work, I used an Ubuntu live CD and a spare workstation to build the new array and rsync the contents of the old array (which was still live during the initial rsync pass) to it over the network. Then, after hours (when nobody else was using the server) we did a final rsync pass (which completed very quickly since only the changes needed to be copied) to catch any files that had changed, and swapped the new drives in to the server. Quite painless!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:49 am

Yeah, I've used the PartedMagic CD for similar things. TestDisk has really helped me out on several occasions when I needed to resurrect a "disappeared" partition, and like your distro, it's on the LiveCD.

I'll have to try out that PhotoRec software. I have had a few occasions where that could be useful, and it may be better than my older tools for the same purposes.

Even open box, I bet the WD drive is still under warranty. I'd be inclined to RMA it through WD rather than return it if there is a problem, at least if you got a good deal.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:07 pm

Yeah these little diaries are handy. I've used knoppix and system rescue cd for these types of recoveries and they usually work unless the hardware itself is bad.
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:46 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Heh... when I saw the subject line, I thought maybe some recent distro had done something to really piss you off (like say Ubuntu's Unity desktop, or GNOME 3)

Speaking of which - I installed a VM of the newest Ubuntu (11.something) and spent about 10 minutes with it before being so pissed off that I deleted it. I understand the point - but when I want to open a freaking terminal I don't want to have to SEARCH for the goddamn thing first, then pin it to whatever that left bar is. :roll:
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:06 pm

TheWacoKid wrote:
but when I want to open a freaking terminal I don't want to have to SEARCH for the goddamn thing first, then pin it to whatever that left bar is. :roll:

What He Said. The Unity devs don't understand the importance of discoverability.

Back on topic, the SystemRescueCD is another good alternative.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Trellot
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:20 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
I'll have to try out that PhotoRec software. I have had a few occasions where that could be useful, and it may be better than my older tools for the same purposes.

I have used PhotoRec for recovering photos, music, docs, etc...and the current version does a much better job of organizing the data into folders. The older versions would store ALL the random files in 500-item-maxed-out folders, lol! Took forever to sift through that nightmare...heheh!

~ Trellot
-ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 / Intel Core i5-2500K
-XFX Radeon HD 7970 3072MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
-Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 PSU / Corsair 600T case
-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB / Hitachi Deskstar 750GB

bryanl
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:11 pm

re: "when I want to open a freaking terminal I don't want to have to SEARCH for the goddamn thing first"

you don't.

but you do need to keep up with changes.

There are a number of postings around with the keyboard shortcuts (e.g. CTRL-ALT-T for the terminal window) around.

I have found it profitable in many ways to try to take a positive approach to being subject to different ways of doing things.

Both Unity and Gnome3 are changing paradigms to fit modern hardware and screen sizes and aspect ratios. It bothers me to see so much bashing and trashing based on cognitive dissonance and resistance to change. I can understand the frustration but when it comes to a knee jerk that is so bad it knocks a few teeth loose, I think another route might be better - one that doesn't assume something isn't there just because its different.
Bryan

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:21 pm

bryanl wrote:
Both Unity and Gnome3 are changing paradigms to fit modern hardware and screen sizes and aspect ratios. It bothers me to see so much bashing and trashing based on cognitive dissonance and resistance to change.

OK, can we bash on the current lack of 5:4 and 4:3 displays instead? Because that's the *real* crux of the problem.

Widescreen is great for people who like to watch video/movies on their computer. Pretty much sucks for everything else.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Eh, I don't mind widescreen. Better 16:10 than 16:9, though.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x