Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

rogthewookiee
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

U2311h vs U2311HM

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:19 pm

OK,
As far as I can tell the only difference is styling and backlight type. Is that correct?

I currently have one 2311H and am looking for a second monitor. It has to be IPS. This is my primary computer for general tasks including photo editing. I currently do not make enough from that one task to justify a real professional monitor. Oh how I wish... I sold my aging 19"TN to make space for this new purchase, and it cant come soon enough. It is so cramped on one screen!

I do however have a spyder 3 elite color calibrator. So whatever monitor I get will be calibrated to the best it can be.

Dell has stopped selling the old version, but there are still new units floating around. Should I pick up a new/refurb/used H version? Or go with the newer HM?

Miss-match in housing won't bother me, but if I am really unable to get the monitors to match well it will bother me!

*Edit* I should add that my primary work involves reading innumerable pages of scientific literature.

*Edit* Maybe I asked my question incorrectly. Lets try this. Is there any reason to buy the old over the new considering, that they are basically identical in price? Is there any reason that I wouldn't be able to satisfactorily color match the displays?

*Edit* Well I went with the u2311h because there are not good reviews of the u2311hm out yet!

Thanks!

rogthewookiee
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: U2311h vs U2311HM

Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:22 pm

U2311H is on the left and U2311HM on the right.

Well and interesting thing happened. I ordered the H and recieved the HM. I tried to contact the seller, but have not heard back, which is infuriating. In any case, they have my money and I have a brand new monitor. After spending the last few weeks with them side by side, I still wish I could find another H version. I really don't like super bright monitors and the LED backlight even turned down is a bit much. I also have not managed to get them to calibrate to a close enough white point for it to not be noticeable. In the images above you can see the white different, and the slight tint.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: U2311h vs U2311HM

Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:18 am

rogthewookiee wrote:
I really don't like super bright monitors and the LED backlight even turned down is a bit much.
Did you turn the brightness down all the way to 0? If you did then it may be a concern, I have a 2412M on my way which is also LED backlit.

rogthewookiee wrote:
I also have not managed to get them to calibrate to a close enough white point for it to not be noticeable. In the images above you can see the white different, and the slight tint.
To me, the photos actually make the 2311H look more washed out, but I do notice the tint that you mentioned in the 2312HM. If this bugs you so much, this means that you are seeing the difference and may have to step up and get the 8/10-bit panels.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.