Gaming -- HDMI, Display Port or DVI

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Gaming -- HDMI, Display Port or DVI

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:05 pm

The guy at Fry's said, DVI was the way to go.

He ought to know, right?
Hp h8-1020 i7 Win7 Pro, HyperX 120 GB SSD
too Old & Lazy to build my own
RealityChk
Gerbil

Re: Gaming -- HDMI, Display Port or DVI

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:13 pm

HDMI is the same digital video signal as DVI, with audio on the same cable and a more home theater-friendly connector.

DisplayPort is a newer digital video standard that is meant to replace DVI but is only being adopted by the market very slowly.

They'll all look exactly the same.
FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:30 pm

I concur. As far as picture quality, you're not likely to see a difference between any of them. Display port is the least bulky, so if youre monitor and video card supports it, all else being equal, you may as well go with that.

One more thing to add is that prior to HDMI 1.3, HDMI only supported resolutions up to 1920x1200 (at 60hz). While HDMI 1.3 has been around for about 4 years, you need to be sure that the monitor, video card and cable are HDMI 1.3 compliant if you want to run at resolutions over 1080p (most anything you buy now would 1.3 or higher). Similarly, you'll need dual link DVI to to run higher than 1080p (1920x1200) resolutions, which means you'll need to make sure the DVI cable supports dual link.
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:34 pm

I am using DisplayPort at 2560x1600. HDMI is limited to 1920x1200. DVI also supports 2560x1600. DVI is more common than DisplayPort, very few monitors have DisplayPort. If I am not mistaken nVidia to this day does not have DisplayPort support.
Core i7 960 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1.5TB HD | Asus GTX Titan | Dell WFP 3008 30" 2560x1600 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Nvidia leaves DisplayPort off of its reference card designs, but their GPUs support it and you can find some non-reference Nvidia cards with it. They're rare, though. Zotac is good about putting DisplayPorts on their more expensive Nvidia cards.

The latest version of HDMI- 1.4 -supports 4k resolutions, so it should be able to drive a 2560x1600 display, but most HDMI ports of course won't be the latest version and will be limited to single-link DVI. All current-generation AMD and Nvidia cards *should* have HDMI 1.4 ports, though.

If the card and the monitor both have DisplayPort, I would use that, since it's an easier cable to work with due to the USB-like connectors. But DVI will work just as well.
FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:16 pm

. If I am not mistaken nVidia to this day does not have DisplayPort support.

You're mistaken by at least 3 and half years. The G94 used in the 9600GT had a display port controller integrated into the graphics core http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphi ... 2gs_2.html. On an 8800GT it was also possible to have DisplayPort via an extra controller chip as seen in cards like this http://www.sparkle.com.tw/News/DisplayP ... rt_EN.html
Pizzapotamus
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:17 pm

All three, from a strictly electrical point of view (ie: what goes down the copper cable), are identical (at lower resolutions, at least). Converting DVI to HDMI, DisplayPort to HDMI, DisplayPort to DVI, or the reverse, is a simple matter of an adapter that converts the physical plugs; there are no active components in such an adapter. In fact, I use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to connect my LCD TV to my computer so I can watch Internet videos (eg: ABC's iView) on the TV, rather than my monitor.

So don't sweat it too much. As cynan says, you need HDMI 1.3 to handle high resolutions (30" LCD monitors, typically). I suspect that HDMI 1.3 and dual link DVI are not guaranteed compatible; check before you buy if this is important to you. The same concern applies to DisplayPort and dual link DVI; again, check if it's a concern.

Given that monitors tend to outlast computers by many years, my personal inclination would be to buy whatever matches the monitor(s) I have (or intend to buy). Since I have a 1680x1050 22" display, it's not a concern for me; if I had a 30" monster, I'd buy a video card with whatever input the monitor had (the current Dell 30" has all three inputs, so I'd probably go for DisplayPort in that case.)
sjl
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:26 am

sjl wrote:All three, from a strictly electrical point of view (ie: what goes down the copper cable), are identical (at lower resolutions, at least). Converting DVI to HDMI, DisplayPort to HDMI, DisplayPort to DVI, or the reverse, is a simple matter of an adapter that converts the physical plugs; there are no active components in such an adapter.
This is not completely accurate. DVI and HDMI are very similar electrically, Displayport is quite different. DP is a packet-based protocol while DVI/HDMI use TMDS.
sjl wrote:In fact, I use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to connect my LCD TV to my computer so I can watch Internet videos (eg: ABC's iView) on the TV, rather than my monitor.
Most Displayport er... ports are DP++, which means that they can optionally output a single-link TMDS signal compatible with HDMI/DVI with a simple adapter.

sjl wrote:So don't sweat it too much. As cynan says, you need HDMI 1.3 to handle high resolutions (30" LCD monitors, typically). I suspect that HDMI 1.3 and dual link DVI are not guaranteed compatible; check before you buy if this is important to you. The same concern applies to DisplayPort and dual link DVI; again, check if it's a concern.
I'm not aware of any 2560x**** monitors that support those resolutions over HDMI. If they have HDMI ports, they are limited to 1920x1200 or 1920x1080. You're right about dual-link DVI though.
Q9400@3.2GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW
crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:27 am

This is probably a load of crap, but every HDMI display I've worked with seems to require more to process the signal than with DVI. I'm guessing it's due to how HDMI supports non-RGB color spaces which requires additional processing which in turn, creates input latency. Or it could just be that the HDMI displays I've worked with are horribly built.

I wouldn't know though, but I've definitely had problems with input latency on numerous HDMI devices I've used. (Pointing fingers at the Sony KDL55EX500 TV I have, as well as my friend's ASUS monitors, though vsync might have to do with it.)

If anyone can shed more light on this, it'd be an interesting addition to the discussion. Generally, I'm partial to DVI, which is strange because DVI and HDMI's RGB signal are pretty much the same thing.

I can say pretty much for sure though, that all digital standards deliver the exact same video quality. (As everyone else has mentioned already from last week lol.)
C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:15 am

C-A_99 wrote:I wouldn't know though, but I've definitely had problems with input latency on numerous HDMI devices I've used. (Pointing fingers at the Sony KDL55EX500 TV I have, as well as my friend's ASUS monitors, though vsync might have to do with it.)
Generally speaking TVs are designed to assume anything coming in via HDMI is video (ie movie/sports/etc) and by default perform some kind of processing on it -- they expect you to be watching it, not interacting with it. If you're feeding that HDMI port from a computer or a console, you need to go into the settings for the TV and disable the processing on that port (and possibly adjust other values as well -- you may find you're not getting a full 1:1 native res either). TVs (and some monitors) with multiple different inputs typically leave the more computer-oriented DVI/VGA alone, but HDMI gets the cinema treatment, and thus you'd perceive more lag on the latter than the former if you're just blindly swapping cables without adjusting anything else.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:53 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
C-A_99 wrote:I wouldn't know though, but I've definitely had problems with input latency on numerous HDMI devices I've used. (Pointing fingers at the Sony KDL55EX500 TV I have, as well as my friend's ASUS monitors, though vsync might have to do with it.)
Generally speaking TVs are designed to assume anything coming in via HDMI is video (ie movie/sports/etc) and by default perform some kind of processing on it -- they expect you to be watching it, not interacting with it. If you're feeding that HDMI port from a computer or a console, you need to go into the settings for the TV and disable the processing on that port (and possibly adjust other values as well -- you may find you're not getting a full 1:1 native res either). TVs (and some monitors) with multiple different inputs typically leave the more computer-oriented DVI/VGA alone, but HDMI gets the cinema treatment, and thus you'd perceive more lag on the latter than the former if you're just blindly swapping cables without adjusting anything else.

I should have clarified by mentioning that I've set everything to gaming mode and it still has latency (both the TV and a friend's monitor I've used.) Supposedly that's supposed to completely shut off all the mostly useless processing (useless if the source is already 1080p). Perhaps gaming mode doesn't shut off all the processing, or perhaps my friend got some kind of VA/PVA panel. (And most HDTV's are PVA from what I've heard.)
C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Return to Graphics