Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Diablo 3 Beta Invites

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Check your B.Net account. Apparently Blizzard sent out a crapton of invites, but didn't notify anyone. A article on Shack news has the details on this:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/71435/ ... m_27227862

I checked and apparently I was in the beta and never notified.

In other interesting bit of news, the Blizzard downloader lies to attempt to keep you from turning off p2p file sharing. It was trying to nom all my upload bits, so I turned it off. The client showed my download speed dropping from 3/4th my cap to nothing and showed the download as stagnant. My bandwidth monitor on my computer showed my download bandwidth going up till I hit cap and my upload shutting off... The % bar doesn't even move in the downloader, yet it's still downloading... funny...

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Diablo 3 Beta Invites

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:32 am

The invite can be found in your junk mail, just found mine.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:10 am

Apparently my SC2 Gold League Superstar status did not get me a D3 beta invite. :(
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:56 am

Bensam123 wrote:
In other interesting bit of news, the Blizzard downloader lies to attempt to keep you from turning off p2p file sharing. It was trying to nom all my upload bits, so I turned it off. The client showed my download speed dropping from 3/4th my cap to nothing and showed the download as stagnant. My bandwidth monitor on my computer showed my download bandwidth going up till I hit cap and my upload shutting off... The % bar doesn't even move in the downloader, yet it's still downloading... funny...

Thats not news to those of us that have been using the Blizzard downloader for years. Besides why wouldnt you want to help your fellow gamer with Sharing your bits?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:05 am

I, too, generally get better download speeds when I disable p2p connections. If there was a way to limit how fast it uploaded, I wouldn't mind. It seems that when my upload gets maxed, my download get choked off.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:26 am

I am probably in the minority when it comes to P2P and that I have never had a problem with it on. /shrug
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:32 pm

If you guys have spare invites and don't mind sharing please let me know. :)
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Jive wrote:

Invites are tied to your B.net account. So unless someone is going to give you their Battle.net account you're not going to see one.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Stargazer
Gerbil

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:10 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Jive wrote:

Invites are tied to your B.net account. So unless someone is going to give you their Battle.net account you're not going to see one.

Can I have your Battle.net account?

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:28 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Thats not news to those of us that have been using the Blizzard downloader for years. Besides why wouldnt you want to help your fellow gamer with Sharing your bits?

You can get bits from Blizzard which are faster and don't eat your cap. Everyone should turn off p2p sharing.

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:40 pm

I middle finger the blizzard downloader. It sucks, slow and eats my upload pipe. It took almost 10 hours to download starcraft 2 from it. It took me less than 2 hours to download tf2...
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:10 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Jive wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that those who received invites were able to give out 3 invites of their own? Guess that isn't the case.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:56 am

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
I middle finger the blizzard downloader. It sucks, slow and eats my upload pipe. It took almost 10 hours to download starcraft 2 from it. It took me less than 2 hours to download tf2...

Disable p2p file sharing. It will usually increase your speed. It disconnects you from peers and connects you directly to the blizzard seeds.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:40 am

Stargazer wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
Jive wrote:

Sure, I will sell it to you, By my calculations its at least worth 800 bucks, all the Warcraft games, Starcraft I with expansions and II episode 1, the Diablo series, and lets not forget my WoW game with all expansions and is pretty much current save for the last two months. 8)

Jive wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that those who received invites were able to give out 3 invites of their own? Guess that isn't the case.

I havent heard that. But just in case I looked at my account and dont see anything about giving out invites.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:19 am

tanker27 wrote:
I am probably in the minority when it comes to P2P and that I have never had a problem with it on. /shrug

I've never had trouble either. I have a pretty decent upload though. meh.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:09 am

I haven't had to download anything large from Blizzard since Comcast upped me to a 5mbit upload speed. When it was 2mbit I always got choked off.

Stargazer
Gerbil

Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:42 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Stargazer wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Sure, I will sell it to you, By my calculations its at least worth 800 bucks, all the Warcraft games, Starcraft I with expansions and II episode 1, the Diablo series, and lets not forget my WoW game with all expansions and is pretty much current save for the last two months. 8)

How about one dollar? I might be convinced to go all the way up to two.

Having just recently gotten a Battle.net account (well, I used to have one back in the stone age, but it seems to have gone poof somewhere along the line) for Starcraft II, I haven't gotten around to adding all my old Blizzard games yet. I take it that it's just a matter of entering CD keys? Hmm... I wonder where I have all my old CD keys...

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:45 pm

A question for those of you who have gotten in: if you're in, are you a tester all the time and forever*, or is it just for a temporary period? I had 2 "weekend" beta invites for Star Wars: TOR, while a friend of mine was a full-time tester. I'm wondering if D3 is doing something similar.

*"Forever" meaning not literally forever, of course, but rather the "forever" it feels like until they're ready to release the game.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:52 am

I think it's till the beta is over... I haven't gotten kicked off yet. I almost didn't do the SWTOR beta because it was only good for a weekend and you had to download a 20GB client... that takes a really long time when you're on a 1.5mbit connection. I ended up not having enough room and it somehow crapped out the install so I had to redownload an 8gig portion of it too. I played it all of four hours too.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:56 pm

The SC2 beta was all or nothing (no weekend passes), and I would assume, possibly incorrectly, that the D3 beta is similar.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:48 am

The D3 beta is play as much as you want as long as the (authentication) servers are up. The beta is what I would call as the first "boss", you can play all classes and you can level up to max if you wanted to but after the first run through the area the XP really diminishes. I think I was able to attain level 20 on my characters before I stopped.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:15 am

How does it compare to the epicness of D2?

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:00 pm

My father is friends with a guy who's an internal tester for Blizzard and has been testing D3 for a while. He says the release date that's been discussed interally is January 17th. However, the last time I talked to him, something pretty big had just gone wrong (I think it had to do with server stress tests), and he thought it likely that they would push the release date back to get it completely fixed. Now I admit I take this all with a grain of salt myself, but if this guy isn't pulling my leg, that's a much sooner release date than I was expecting. I'm trying very hard not to get my hopes up...

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:27 pm

the 17th jan is what i had heard a while back too, although it seems that since then there has been a few things like RMAH (real money auction house) testing that is probably taking longer than they wanted it to. im kinda expecting it feb or march, but at least they have reached a sort of point of no return now. They would be hesitant to do any really major delays unless there was something very seriously wrong.

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:08 am

More second-hand info from my dad's internal Blizzard tester friend (to be taken with a grain of salt, for sure): he says the game itself is ready, but there are two competing marketing philosophies within Blizzard. One wants to do a huge marketing blitz and release the game just a couple of weeks after announcing. The other wants to do more traditional marketing over the course of at least 6 weeks (and of course release the game later).

Assuming this is true, I'm hoping for option 1 to win out. But I figure even if it's option 2, it sounds pretty good for us to be seeing D3 earlier in the year rather than later.

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:24 am

My dad just got an invite to the beta, and I'm gonna try to convince him to share his login info with me. I know he won't have read the terms very closely and won't want to. Does anyone happen to know what the policy is on "testing on more than one computer"? The SW:TOR beta allowed it. I hope Blizzard is equally open-minded.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:13 am

I have managed to obtain an invite to the D3 Beta.

D3 confirms my worse fears, but it will no doubt be a major blockbuster for Blizzard.

D3 feels and plays like WoW expect the camera angle is from above and you cannot adjust it. The art direction is similar, but with more blood and gore. The skills and classes are still incomplete and need more balancing, but from what is in there, they play and feel like exports from WoW. I hope that the bestiary shows a little more creativity, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not mentioning the requirement for internet connectivity (yes even single-player) and lack of LAN support. Both do little to stop piracy and inevitable disruptions in the auction house's economy with hacked items, gold miners, bots etc.

Really Blizzard? Over a decade since since D2:LOD, you came out with another WoW clone? I'm kinda disappointed.

I suppose that none of this surprising at all. Blizzard is trying to cater to hardcore D2 crowd and players who got bored of WoW. They don't want to risk alienating either crowd with something different/radical.

In a nutshell, if you like Diablo 2 and WoW. Diablo 3 will fit in like a glove, but if you were expecting something a little different, prepare to be disappointed.
Last edited by Krogoth on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Mr. Bamboo Head
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Krogoth wrote:
In a nutshell, if you like Diablo 2 and WoW. Diablo 3 will fit like a glove, but if you were expecting something a little different, prepare to be disappointed.

I wasn't impressed playing MW3 either :(

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:39 pm

MW3 was better than MW4.