Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Is this Throttling? (verizon)

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:48 pm

I've noticed that I can view web page all day long and my verizon connection
stays on "broadband" 50-70K (cell connection).

But if I play "DnD Online" I frequently am dropped to "national access" 10-15K. (jerky play)
Verizon states that they do NOT throttle.
The tricky bit is that if I shut down the game client I wll see my connection automatically
jump back to "broadband" within 3 seconds!

I sometimes also will disconnect/reconnect to verizon to try to clean up the connection.
Now if the "national access" connection gets so bad that I lose the game server connection
it will take 10-15 seconds to disconnect from Verizon instead of the usual 3-4 seconds.

It just seems to me that verizon is really choking off my game connections.

My network graph shows that I seen to lose the game server connection just after
I send a lot more data then I am receiving. (climbing packet loss then no server)

Thoughts welcome,
jmc2

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Is this Throttling? (verizon)

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:23 pm

I don't know the answer to your question, but I noticed some squirrelly behavior on the business trip I just returned from. We have a shared Verizon 3G modem here in the office that people take on trips. Web surfing seemed normal, but when I tried to use a remote desktop connection back in to the office or transfer large files, the connection would slow way down, or even "seize up" completely for ~30 seconds at a time.

Definitely seemed like they were doing some sort of throttling to me...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re: Is this Throttling? (verizon)

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:18 am

That is what I am thinking. That certain usage patterns trigger a slow down in the connection.

I don't know much about networking but If I repeatedly get my "broadband" connection speeds back
in 3 seconds JUST by closing my online game client program.
I certainly feel like I've been throttled down.

Thanks for the thoughts!
jmc2