Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Overclocking disables automatic adjustment of clock speed

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 am

I tried overclocking cpu and found that that disables automatic adjustment of the clock speed, thus the overclocked speed stays regardless of the cpu loading conditions. Is there a way to recover the automatic adjustment capability? The CPU is Phenom II x4 970 on Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Overclocking disables automatic adjustment of clock spee

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:42 am

+ya I found the same to be true on an M5A97 EVO with an Phenom II X2 550 unlocked to a quad core. If I kept the default clockspeed, the quad down-clocks to 800MHz. If I OC to even 3.2GHz (from 3.1GHz) it's locked in at that speed.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:53 am

ThrottleStop is a handy little utility you can use to change the base clock of you CPU. I use it on my laptop to throttle when I'm on battery and don't need all the CPU power, then use it to not throttle when plugged in.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

ermo
Gerbil

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:30 am

churin wrote:
I tried overclocking cpu and found that that disables automatic adjustment of the clock speed, thus the overclocked speed stays regardless of the cpu loading conditions. Is there a way to recover the automatic adjustment capability? The CPU is Phenom II x4 970 on Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4.

On AMD CPUs, Cool'n'Quiet is usually disabled when you OC using the BIOS. The solution I use is to manually turn off C'n'Q in the BIOS, set the OC parameters (voltage, NB-CPU frequency, HT frequency, CPU frequency) appropriately and then manage P-States with PhenomMSRTweaker in Windows. I use the stock P-States for the Balanced power profile (P1-P4) and the OC'ed P-State (P0) for the performance power profile, so when I surf etc., the PC uses the Balanced profile and when I game, I manually switch to the High Performance profile. Works like a charm for me.

Best of luck with your OC efforts.
Linux: 2x FX-8350, 16/32GB, GTX970/HD7970, Solus+KDE/Exherbo+Xfce
Hackintosh: i7-2600K, 32GB, HD7970, High Sierra
HTPC: Q9400, 8GB, GTS 450, Solus/GNOME
Server: FX-8350, 16GB ECC, iGP, F30/Srv
Wintendo: R7 2700X, 32GB, 2x RX Vega 64 (air), W10Pro

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:47 am

So apparently this broken state of affairs is the norm for current AMD CPUs?

It's not true of my OC'd C2Duo hackintosh. It will throttle back to 6x333 = 2GHz when idle. Then again, it doesn't have the multiplier unlocked. How do unlocked Sandy Bridge CPUs do with idle speeds?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:12 pm

ermo wrote:
churin wrote:

On AMD CPUs, Cool'n'Quiet is usually disabled when you OC using the BIOS. The solution I use is to manually turn off C'n'Q in the BIOS, set the OC parameters (voltage, NB-CPU frequency, HT frequency, CPU frequency) appropriately and then manage P-States with PhenomMSRTweaker in Windows. I use the stock P-States for the Balanced power profile (P1-P4) and the OC'ed P-State (P0) for the performance power profile, so when I surf etc., the PC uses the Balanced profile and when I game, I manually switch to the High Performance profile. Works like a charm for me.

Best of luck with your OC efforts.

I ran this for quite sometime and it worked great. Both Intel and AMD CPUs as of the last few gens have had issues OC'ing while downclocking.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses.

ermo wrote:

A question:

Is the CPU speed limited to the stock max speed under "Balanced power profile"? Or, can it go up to the OC'ed speed?

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:43 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
So apparently this broken state of affairs is the norm for current AMD CPUs?

It's not true of my OC'd C2Duo hackintosh. It will throttle back to 6x333 = 2GHz when idle. Then again, it doesn't have the multiplier unlocked. How do unlocked Sandy Bridge CPUs do with idle speeds?

Sandybridge/SB-E CPUs are a bit weird.

The FSB as you traditionally understood it is dead as the CPU has consumed all the parts. You don't really mess with BCLK anymore (you can, but the range of speeds can be rather limited). You instead end up adjusting the turbo multiplier. So if you leave EIST and the various C states on, it rolls back the multiplier when idling.

http://youtu.be/Kx2z07sFM2I

This video does a good job of explaining. Just be warned it's essentially an hour long class.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

sluggo
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 pm

churin wrote:

Rather than overclocking in BIOS, you might try the AMD Overdrive utility. It has a lot of flexibility and allows direct manipulation of p-states. It has a few quirks, like getting confused by unlocked cores, but other than that I've found it to be pretty useful.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action - Goethe

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Sandybridge/SB-E CPUs are a bit weird.

The FSB as you traditionally understood it is dead as the CPU has consumed all the parts. You don't really mess with BCLK anymore (you can, but the range of speeds can be rather limited).

I know, that's why I asked - it's closer to this scenario than any Core2 Duo OC I've ever done since it's all in multipliers.

You instead end up adjusting the turbo multiplier. So if you leave EIST and the various C states on, it rolls back the multiplier when idling.

And that's the answer I was looking for. Schweet! :D

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:14 pm

I've never had a board disable Cool 'n Quiet unless I overclocked the FSB. Using just the multiplier to overclock should allow you to keep your CPU throttled down at idle.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:49 pm

WacoKid you said C'n'Q, but your sig has an Intel system listed. Do you really mean SpeedStep, or do you really mean AMD in which case what I've observed doesn't match what you're saying.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:59 pm

StuG wrote:
I ran this for quite sometime and it worked great. Both Intel and AMD CPUs as of the last few gens have had issues OC'ing while downclocking.

Am I correct to say that I have to forgo the automatic speed adjustment by using this utility?

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:03 pm

churin wrote:
StuG wrote:

Am I correct to say that I have to forgo the automatic speed adjustment by using this utility?

Yes, you will be setting EVERY clock speed. It works off the hardware's ability to downclock though. So think of it as a 50|50 split. 50% is naturally the hardware down-clocking when not being utilized, but the speed values it is grabbing from are what YOU configure.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:21 pm

I have to digress at this point because I am not seeing what I assumed I would. The overclocking experiment was originally done on Phenom II x3 720 and saw what I stated in my original post. I restored the BIOS setting for the stock speed and used the machine for over a year.

The cpu has now been replaced with 970 and I have tried the overclocking to 3800 by simply changing the multiplier from 17.5 to 18.5 but the maximum speed is still 3500 and the automatic throttling is alive. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

Edit: Actually I built a new machine using a new mobo of the same model.