Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Battlefield 3 server

Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:29 pm

It's currently full. ;)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Dizik, tanker27 - YGPM.

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:42 am

R-9 server patch (build 886605) has been deployed.

---- Server Update Highlights

• EOD Bot exploit fix
• Several crash fixes
• Anti-stat padding measures taken, disallowing ranked servers to run obscure settings
• Improved team kill kick configuration
• Support for unranked servers. Unranked servers do not report players' scores to Battlelog, but server administrators can freely control all settings

More complete client and server patch changelog
Last edited by Lucky Jack Aubrey on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:10 am

Lucky Jack Aubrey wrote:
• Anti-stat padding measures taken, disallowing ranked servers to run obscure settings

THIS is a very good thing!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:17 am

I'm curious as to what exactly that means.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Yeah, the phrase "obscure settings" is somewhat...obscure.

EDIT: Actually, I do have some additional information:

If you are a server administrator that run ranked servers, then you should take note that a few settings are no longer changeable for ranked servers.
The most notable example here is that you are no longer able to set the min # of players to start a round to less than 4. This is to prevent statspadding.

more detailed server patch information

I think I understand their reasoning: with only two players needed to start a game, it only takes one fellow colluder to help you run around racking up points. Unfortunately, this is just going to make it harder for us to get rounds started on our already-hard-to-populate server.

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Apparently, the new patch has caused other issues.

Gameservers.com staff wrote:
We are aware there are currently issues with servers not showing up on battlelog or being removed from battlelog. EA/DICE are looking into the issue, but there is currently no ETA on when the issue will be corrected. Currently the only fix for this issue is to restart your server and it will show in BattleLog again.

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:35 am

Our BF3 server subscription will be discontinued at the end of the current billing period (ca. December 25).

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:19 pm

Well...can't say that we didn't try.

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 pm

The week before Thanksgiving, I could get put in about an hour's patient effort and get the server populated. This worked well roughly 2 out of every 3 times I tried it. Unfortunately, every time I was successful, the server would run at near capacity for several hours, then dump every single player - and it happened RIGHT on the hour (usually 4 am Central time, but once it was 2 am). The server would also disappear from Battlelog at that time, and it would stay that way until stopped/restarted, which meant that players couldn't come back on even if they wanted to. Based on what I've been reading, this happened to a LOT of servers.

I had hope that the R-9/R-10 patches would fix this issue. Instead, EA/DICE made some changes with those patches that effectively prevented me from coaxing the server population as I had been doing before. Since then, the server has been dead.

Things can always change, of course - Back To Karkand will be coming out sometime in December. However, $90/month is a lot to shell out for something that isn't being used.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:15 am

Thanks for trying LJA!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm not happy to say I actually havent been able to get on the server yet, but considering both the time difference and the latency, when I play with people from the states I tend to sit on the arsclan vent server, and thus play on the same server as everybody else. At times when I play by myself, or with a few local friends, the us servers are usually deserted.

But I do applaud the initiative.

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:38 am

Lucky Jack Aubrey wrote:
then dump every single player - and it happened RIGHT on the hour (usually 4 am Central time, but once it was 2 am).

Your server might be set to auto restart at a specific time. If using GameServers.com there is a setting in your console.

Lucky Jack Aubrey wrote:
However, $90/month is a lot to shell out for something that isn't being used.

A few suggestions:
Cut your slots (and cash outlay) in half. Why pay for 64 when it's not being used.
Try running HardCore mode. I've found that once a few jump in our server it fills up pretty fast to the point where we have to make room for our members.
When Karkand hits, run those maps in heavy rotation. It'll stay full.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Topic Author

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:29 pm

IAmGhostDog wrote:
Your server might be set to auto restart at a specific time. If using GameServers.com there is a setting in your console.

It's not. This is a problem with a recurring mid-game crash that has been widely complained about. Also, a simple auto-restart wouldn't cause the server to disappear from Battlelog (beyond the 30-60 seconds necessary to actually get running again, of course).

IAmGhostDog wrote:
A few suggestions:
Cut your slots (and cash outlay) in half. Why pay for 64 when it's not being used.
Try running HardCore mode. I've found that once a few jump in our server it fills up pretty fast to the point where we have to make room for our members.
When Karkand hits, run those maps in heavy rotation. It'll stay full.

I thought about going with a smaller server, particularly with Back to Karkand on the way. However, an additional problem is that there just isn't all that much interest here at TR. I can go into details if anybody wants me to, but suffice it to say that it just reached a point where keeping Gerbilgeddon around no longer made sense. In any case, your suggestions are very well taken, and I appreciate them.

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Be advised patch coming Tuesday.
Long list here:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654489494744784/

It will be good to get this back:
Also, it will once again be possible to reduce the number of players required to start a round to 1 both in ranked and unranked mode

They should have done this to begin with:
Our plan is to introduce a warm-up mode, where players can move about and play the game, but with scoring disabled

I hope this fixes my crash problem:
Fixed several crashes and increased general stability

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: bf3.exe
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Gerbilgeddon is getting some good traffic right now. It will be going away in a few days, so enjoy it while you can!

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:08 am

...and gone.

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:22 am

Hey guys I'm unable to find the server in the server browser, was that fix from Dice applied allowing this server to show up?
Otherwise is it possible to manually connect somehow?
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

StefanVonS
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:28 am

Jon wrote:
Hey guys I'm unable to find the server in the server browser, was that fix from Dice applied allowing this server to show up?
Otherwise is it possible to manually connect somehow?

Lol, read the thread :) Server has been discontinued.

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:31 am

I somehow missed that there were 3 pages of comments.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:41 am

Jon wrote:
I somehow missed that there were 3 pages of comments.

I've occasionally wondered whether there should be a "last page" link in the "Hot Threads" section, for threads with multiple pages. Probably not worth the screen real estate on the TR front page though...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.