Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Looking forward to the New England vs. Denver game?

Yes
7 (78%)
No
2 (22%)

Total votes: 9

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

NFL 2011/2012 - Week 15

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:56 pm

For those of you have an active interest in this weekends games (I was last in my pool. . . .&^%$!@)

Thursday, Dec.15
Jacksonville @ Atlanta

Saturday, Dec.17
Dallas @ Tampa Bay

Sunday, Dec. 18
Cinci @ St. Louis
Carolina @ Houston
Seattle @ Chicago
Washington @ NYG
Tennessee @ Indy
Miami @ Buffalo
New Orleans @ Minnesota
Green Bay @ Kansas City - Upset pick of the week
Detroit @ Oakland
Cleveland @ Arizona
New England @ Denver
NYJ @ Philly
Baltimore @ San Diego

Monday, Dec.19
Pittsburgh @ San Fran
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: NFL 2011/2012 - Week 15

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm expecting New England to handle Denver easily, but it would tickle the heck out of me if the Broncos found a way to win, just to further agitate the foaming-at-the-mouth Tebow haters like Jack Trudeau.
http://www.foxsportsradio.com/pages/zakkandjack.html

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Home dogs are dangerous teams. I honestly don't know what to expect. I mean geez the pats have wide receivers on their roster playing as defensive-backs.

@lex
Also can't believe you chose Atlanta over houston. Houston is playing at home BTW and keep in mind they are a 10-3 football team that just beat Cincinnati on the road. I admit its a bit of a let down game after just clinching a playoff berth and their d co-ordinator taking a 2 week leave of absence, but again.... they're a 10-3 football team that is considered to have the best running game in the league, and caroline is pretty much the second worst run defense in the league.

And kansas city over green bay? Really?

You really should rethink the san diego/ravens game and the philly/jets game. San Diego and Philly are two under achieving but talented team essentially playing for pride and are at HOME. Home dogs are very dangerous teams and those two teams would love nothing more than to play spoiler to the ravens or the jets playoffs chances.

And big ben is still in aboot and likely will not play vs san fran.
i7 2600k @4.4 ghz 1.26v - GA-P67X-UD3 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz - Evga Geforce GTX 570 - 2x 120gb Vertex 3 Raid-0 - Seagate Barracude 1.5TB - Silverstone FT02- HP 2709M Monitor

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:40 am

I'm hoping if the Texans beat Atlanta they can handle Carolina, particularly at home. Please please please go 11-3 guy s :) It's been a roughish start for TJ but he's been winning...and Atlanta is a better team than Carolina I think. Hopefully between more game experience and some practices he'll be doing a bit smoother this game. Keep in mind he's a rookie that, IIRC, hadn't even dressed out for a game till Schaub got hurt.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm not looking at the records, but the way Carolina is able to surprise teams that are supposed to be much better than them but they put up serious numbers. If Newton outplays the Houston QB, then it is a serious toss-up.

And notice that the Green Bay game is my UPSET pick of the week. Can you imagine Kansas City upsetting the offensive power house that is Green Bay? That would be so funny.

Philly could have all the offensive weapons they want, they play stupid football which is why they're record reflects their stupidity.

Where is San Diego going except to their tight end? Don't get me wrong, he will get his yards and scores, but the Ravens will shut down the rest of that offense, like they've done with everyone else this year.

But my picks are just for fun. These threads I create is to remind the guys in the fantasy leagues to get the rosters updated. I don't like to see empty slots on team rosters. I know people have busy lives, so its more of a nudge.

But saying that . . .I have never liked the SEC teams (and they are great teams) . . .I especially despise Florida players - in all of their team sports - and For whatever reason, QB's from Florida schools don't seem to last long in the NFL. As it stands, they may say Tebow wins games, but he sucks. The time is close when he gets knock stupid and that will be that.

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:04 pm

lex-ington wrote:
I'm not looking at the records, but the way Carolina is able to surprise teams that are supposed to be much better than them but they put up serious numbers. If Newton outplays the Houston QB, then it is a serious toss-up.

And notice that the Green Bay game is my UPSET pick of the week. Can you imagine Kansas City upsetting the offensive power house that is Green Bay? That would be so funny.

Philly could have all the offensive weapons they want, they play stupid football which is why they're record reflects their stupidity.

Where is San Diego going except to their tight end? Don't get me wrong, he will get his yards and scores, but the Ravens will shut down the rest of that offense, like they've done with everyone else this year.

But my picks are just for fun. These threads I create is to remind the guys in the fantasy leagues to get the rosters updated. I don't like to see empty slots on team rosters. I know people have busy lives, so its more of a nudge.

But saying that . . .I have never liked the SEC teams (and they are great teams) . . .I especially despise Florida players - in all of their team sports - and For whatever reason, QB's from Florida schools don't seem to last long in the NFL. As it stands, they may say Tebow wins games, but he sucks. The time is close when he gets knock stupid and that will be that.

Yeah carolina is a 4-9 football team. Granted they are probably the best 4-9 football team around, but still they can't stop the run at all and houston as the best running game in the league.

San Diego has vincent jackson and a decent run game and people play their best football at home. Anyway just be alert for a ton of upsets this week I think.

Philly is actually favored by 3 points to beat the jets.
i7 2600k @4.4 ghz 1.26v - GA-P67X-UD3 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz - Evga Geforce GTX 570 - 2x 120gb Vertex 3 Raid-0 - Seagate Barracude 1.5TB - Silverstone FT02- HP 2709M Monitor

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:40 pm

lex-ington wrote:
For whatever reason, QB's from Florida schools don't seem to last long in the NFL.
The reason is your selective memory and personal bias rather than fact.

The University of Florida - The flagship of the state university system since 1853
Steve Spurrier played for 10 years in the NFL. John Reaves played for 10 years in the NFL. Carl Brumbaugh played for 8 years in the NFL. Kerwin Bell played for 4 years in the NFL. Shane Matthews played for 14 years in the NFL. Danny Wuerffel played for 6 years in the NFL. Doug Johnson played for 8 years in the NFL. Jesse Palmer played for 6 years in the NFL. Rex Grossman has played for 8 years in the NFL and is still starting at quarterback for the Redskins. Tim Tebow has played for 2 years in the NFL and is still starting at quarterback for the Broncos.

Florida State University - The second most prominent school of the state university system
Brad Johnson played 17 years in the NFL. Gary Huff played 7 years in the NFL. Steve Tensi played 6 years in the NFL. Danny Kannell played 7 years in the NFL. Peter Tom Willis played 4 years in the NFL. Chris Weinke played 7 years in the NFL. Casey Weldon played 8 years in the NFL. Christian Ponder is a rookie but he is still the starting quarterback for the Vikings.

University of Miami - The largest private university in the state
Vinnie Testaverde played quarterback in the NFL for 21 years! Hall-of-Famer Jim Kelly played 11 years in the NFL. George Mira played 7 years in the NFL. Bernie Kosar played 12 years in the NFL. Steve Walsh played 11 years in the NFL. Craig Erickson played 8 years in the NFL. Gino Torreta played 5 years in the NFL. Scott Covington played 5 years in the NFL. Ken Dorsey played 6 years in the NFL.

University of Central Florida
Daunte Culpepper played 11 years in the NFL.

Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University
Quinn Gray played 6 years in the NFL.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:38 pm

lexington was right :( I'm a sad Texans fan now, given that they've beaten *much* better teams than this. I'm glad they're still in the playoffs but damn, I'm hoping it's better than one and done.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

WalkCMD
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:34 am

lex-ington wrote:

Nicely done...and you were right, it was very funny.
Lenovo Y560 laptop, Intel i7 Q720 1.6 Ghz
ATi 5730 1 GB, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB 7200 RPM

lex-ington
Topic Author

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:43 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
lex-ington wrote:
For whatever reason, QB's from Florida schools don't seem to last long in the NFL.
The reason is your selective memory and personal bias rather than fact.

The University of Florida - The flagship of the state university system since 1853
Steve Spurrier played for 10 years in the NFL. John Reaves played for 10 years in the NFL. Carl Brumbaugh played for 8 years in the NFL. Kerwin Bell played for 4 years in the NFL. Shane Matthews played for 14 years in the NFL. Danny Wuerffel played for 6 years in the NFL. Doug Johnson played for 8 years in the NFL. Jesse Palmer played for 6 years in the NFL. Rex Grossman has played for 8 years in the NFL and is still starting at quarterback for the Redskins. Tim Tebow has played for 2 years in the NFL and is still starting at quarterback for the Broncos.

Florida State University - The second most prominent school of the state university system
Brad Johnson played 17 years in the NFL. Gary Huff played 7 years in the NFL. Steve Tensi played 6 years in the NFL. Danny Kannell played 7 years in the NFL. Peter Tom Willis played 4 years in the NFL. Chris Weinke played 7 years in the NFL. Casey Weldon played 8 years in the NFL. Christian Ponder is a rookie but he is still the starting quarterback for the Vikings.

University of Miami - The largest private university in the state
Vinnie Testaverde played quarterback in the NFL for 21 years! Hall-of-Famer Jim Kelly played 11 years in the NFL. George Mira played 7 years in the NFL. Bernie Kosar played 12 years in the NFL. Steve Walsh played 11 years in the NFL. Craig Erickson played 8 years in the NFL. Gino Torreta played 5 years in the NFL. Scott Covington played 5 years in the NFL. Ken Dorsey played 6 years in the NFL.

University of Central Florida
Daunte Culpepper played 11 years in the NFL.

Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University
Quinn Gray played 6 years in the NFL.

Selective memory no, but complete Bias . . .yes. Out of that whole list .. . . . .I mean . . . . . . maybe I should have worded it a different way. I should have said that QB's from Florida universities don't really become recognized as great QB's and not that they don't last long.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:05 pm

lex-ington wrote:
Selective memory no, but complete Bias . . .yes. Out of that whole list .. . . . .I mean . . . . . . maybe I should have worded it a different way. I should have said that QB's from Florida universities don't really become recognized as great QB's and not that they don't last long.
Name 15 quarterbacks better than Jim Kelly in the 105 years since the forward pass became part of professional football.