Where to buy replacement Portapro cable?

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Where to buy replacement Portapro cable?

Postposted on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:03 pm

Any headphone I've had will develop cable problems sooner or later. Well, that's just what happened with my latest Portapro, and I've decided I'm not gonna buy another one. But I haven't found any online shop where I can readily buy a replacement cable for the Koss Portapro. Any ideas?
Mothership: Thuban 1055T@3.7GHz, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, GTX470+Icy Vision Rev.2@840/3800, Vertex 2E 60GB
Supply ship: Sargas@2.8GHz, 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Macbook Air Ivy Bridge
Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Where to buy replacement Portapro cable?

Postposted on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:17 pm

If it's the same Portapro I'm looking at, it doesn't look like the cable is designed to be replaced by the end user. Given this, plus the fact that they're pretty inexpensive headphones to begin with, you're rather unlikely to find an exact replacement cable for sale.

Is the problem at the plug end, or at the headphone end? If it is at the plug end, just snip the old plug off and splice a new one (or one from another set of dead headphones that had problems at the headphone end instead) onto the cable. If the problem is at the headphone end, and you can get at the spots where the wires are soldered to the drivers without destroying the headphones, desolder the original cable, snip off the bad section, and solder the wires back onto the drivers.

The effort barely seems worth it for a $50 set of headphones, but if you're on a tight budget and already have a soldering iron and wire stripper tool capable of dealing with the fine wires in a typical headphone cord, it doesn't hurt to try.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to Echo Vale