Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

joseph_wh
Gerbil
Topic Author

2 network cards connection problems

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:48 am

I have 2 network adapters, one Ethernet and one wireless (3G ). With only wireless enabled I get internet connection.
Recently I got network hard drive. Only way to connect it is to plug in in through router. That when the problems
start. After enabling 2 network cards internet connection is dropped. It shows internet accessible in Network and
Sharing Center on the adapter. But on the graphic on top it shows no internet connection.
Any ideas haw to solve it?
AMD Ryzen 5 1600; 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2933MHz; MSI® X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, RADEON R9 380 8GB, WD Blue M.2 250GB SSD and Crucial MX300 1TB, WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: 2 network cards connection problems

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:44 am

so you've got a router connected to the PC and nas but not itself connected to the internet?

The problem is that windows wants to use the wired connection in preference to the wireless one however your wired connection doesn't actually work.

What you need to do is setup the wired connection not to use the internet. To do this you'll need to set it up manually. Find out what address your PC has got on the wired connection:

open the Network and sharing centre
click Manage network connections
right click the wired connection and select "status"
click "details"
make a not of the IPv4 address and subnet mask
close the "details" window

Now manually set the address for the wired connection:

click the "properties" button on the connection status window you opened earlier
double click "internet protocol version 4"
click on "use the following ip address"
enter the ipv4 address and subnet mask you made a note of earlier.
leave the default gateway and dns server sections blank
click OK

that should be it.

Obviously I've made some assumptions about what the problem is... If you can provide some more details about how your network is setup perhaps I can make some more suggestions.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:14 am

Assuming the problem is net-connection priority, that's actually not a good way to solve it.

The official way: open up your Network Connections control panel (the one that shows all your adapters), press Alt, select Advanced, and then select Advanced again. In this window you can alter the priority of your net connections.

edit: That said, Wifi connections are normally defaulted to be the top priority, but perhaps this is not so for cellular modems because of providers charging by the kilobyte if you go over your plan.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:33 am

What's the network hard drive? If it supports auto-Ip like Windows/Linux/Mac then it may be better to turn off the DHCP server on the router and just use the router as a switch, or see if you can configure the DHCP server to not publish a default route.

joseph_wh
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:19 pm

The problem is just that. It looks like windows is prioritizing wired connection.
Also the hard drive is Seagate FreeAgent® GoFlex™ Net.
Actually the setup is not mine but one of my friends.
I'll try your solutions as soon as I met them again.
AMD Ryzen 5 1600; 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2933MHz; MSI® X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, RADEON R9 380 8GB, WD Blue M.2 250GB SSD and Crucial MX300 1TB, WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit