Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

monitor colour calibration

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:13 pm

I got a Huey Pro a couple of weeks ago and I've got to say I'm impressed with it. For those who've not played with one of these things before it's a gadget that sticks to you screen and builds a colour profile of it so you get a more accurate display. I've no idea if this Huey thing is itself accurate or whether there are better things out there (I got it because it's well supported in linux) but the difference it can make on some screens is amazing.

I've been trying it on every screen I've come across, mostly cheap TN panels and on them you see quite a change. My old acer netbook seemed to the furthest out of all. However you can't make a TN panel anything other than a TN panel. The other day I used it on a Macbook pro which I assume had an IPS panel... :o If I really was looking at a properly calibrated IPS panel then I'm totally sold on both this gadget and IPS panels.

It looked pretty good before I calibrated it, but afterwards it just looked fantastic.

I'd suggest any photographer types looking for a new gadget to spend money on need look no further :lol:
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: monitor colour calibration

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:24 am

Also, if you are really into photography and color calibrated displays, take a look at the dell uxx11 series which also allows for AdobeRGB operation. I have a u3011 calibrated with a spyder 3 and enjoy photo editing on that setup. Also have a vertically oriented sRGB display as a secondary monitor for two monitor lightroom goodness.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: monitor colour calibration

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am

It's often possible to rent a calibrator, if you happen to have a place that specializes in renting professional photo gear somewhere nearby. That's a cheaper option if you've only got the one screen to calibrate (and you don't anticipate futzing with it after that).

Of course the value of a calibrator depends a bit on what you're ultimately planning to do with the output of your work. It's better to be calibrated than not, and it's crucial if you're sending your photos out to be printed (or trying to print them yourself, assuming you have a decent and well-calibrated printer) but if your photos are only going to be viewed online by all the folks out there who don't have calibrated screens themselves it's somewhat Pyrrhic.