Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

super street fighter 4 locale mp???

Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:45 pm

can you play more than one player locally in SSF4 on pc? looking at in on steam sale?

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: super street fighter 4 locale mp???

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:40 pm

last day of the sale people please help!!! if it has local play I'm getting it.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Pretty sure it does. Hell, I think it might even be used at the tournaments.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

way2strong
Gerbil

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:35 pm

I can't speak directly about SSF4 but the original Street Fighter 4 allowed two players on the same PC without using the online features.

Edit: This screenshot also suggests two-player functionality.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:09 pm

ok purchased. When looking up stuff on the game for pc there is next to no coverage so google was a loss for me. Will post outcome when the game is finished installing. Thanks.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:44 am

It does indeed have local MP and playing it on my 60 inch plasma with two controllers looked amazing. I was playing MvsC 3 prior on my xbox and the cleaner image from my pc just looked stunning. I only now realize I never really liked street fighter though :lol: The character movement is not to my liking neither is the control scheme.

As a designer and one who has studied game design there are many fundamental goofs in the franchise gameplay that appease old school fans but alienate anyone who isn't into memorizing the crap out of a game. Basically the game isn't as pure as it should be in my opinion, veteran players rule by virtue of how obtuse the control scheme is. Though some argue this makes the game immune to button mashing I would argue it better serves to create a sense of mastery by control scheme than by strategy and reflexes. As someone who plays multiple games and is short on time I won't be committing the time necessary to learn even one character in the game sadly. It is still fun to play with other people who suck though :P

God it does look good though.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:38 am

Yeah if only mortal kombat or the king of fighter xiii were available on PC... :(
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:53 am

yogibbear wrote:
Yeah if only mortal kombat or the king of fighter xiii were available on PC... :(

KOF being sprites wouldn't necessarily look better since they'd have to ensure better assets. Mortal kombat would be higher res but doesn't have the texture assets to look any better as it already struggles with looking decent on current gen. Setting up SSF4 was such a pain with GFWL as I locked my account by entering an outdated password on accident. Why that locked my account is beyond me. Gosh GFWL sure is a headache.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:45 am

I was talking more about both having better core game mechanics than SF4
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:36 pm

yogibbear wrote:
I was talking more about both having better core game mechanics than SF4

I haven't played either of the latest entrees. My favorites for controls are MvC3, smash brothers brawl, soul caliber, and dead or alive 3.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 am

KoF XIII is ridiculously fun. Pure joy wrapped up in fighting game form. Then again, I played Fatal Fury (subtitled The King of Fighters) in the arcade and on the Genesis going back to 7th grade and I was always something of an SNK fanboy.

The best Capcom fighting games were the CvSNK games. Man those are still fun games.

I agree about Soul Caliber being up there, though. I love it as well.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:29 pm

As a designer I don't think making a control scheme the barrier to entry makes much sense. The nonsensical control scheme for SSF4 distorts a well balanced and fun game engine. Button mashers still kick but over someone struggling to do what they want but hasn't developed the required innate skill with the controller.

joselillo_25
Gerbil

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:58 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:

As a designer and one who has studied game design there are many fundamental goofs in the franchise gameplay that appease old school fans but alienate anyone who isn't into memorizing the crap out of a game. Basically the game isn't as pure as it should be in my opinion, veteran players rule by virtue of how obtuse the control scheme is. Though some argue this makes the game immune to button mashing I would argue it better serves to create a sense of mastery by control scheme than by strategy and reflexes. As someone who plays multiple games and is short on time I won't be committing the time necessary to learn even one character in the game sadly. It is still fun to play with other people who suck though :P

SFII was the most popular game in the world some years ago. These days game releases were not as fast as are today and the machines needs to last time because they cost a lot of money, so games need to be difficult, because in these machines people pay money every time they were defeated. You cannot have a person playing a lot of time for 25 cents.

The control system was a feature designed to be addictive and difficult and works very well these days.
Now videogames have changed a lot. A game now need to be spectacular, but if is so difficult people simply do not give the game the attention it needs.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:11 pm

joselillo_25 wrote:
kamikaziechameleon wrote:

SFII was the most popular game in the world some years ago. These days game releases were not as fast as are today and the machines needs to last time because they cost a lot of money, so games need to be difficult, because in these machines people pay money every time they were defeated. You cannot have a person playing a lot of time for 25 cents.

The control system was a feature designed to be addictive and difficult and works very well these days.
Now videogames have changed a lot. A game now need to be spectacular, but if is so difficult people simply do not give the game the attention it needs.

Wow quite insightful. I believe you are right. I always get annoyed though when user interfaces are made less intuitive/efficient intentionally, especially in a game of whits and reflexes. I appreciate the retroness of these games but yeah their design currently is just not... relevant. I would love capcom to sell me a game that pulls at my heart strings but also evolves with the times. I understand that SSF4 and to a lesser extent MvC3 are built on not changing to serve that narrow fan base, but this also pushes away new gamers to an extent and limits the appeal/success of the game artificially. I don't know if those games could ever really evolve and stay true to what they've become for many gamers... I don't think their is a right course of action here for capcom. Maybe establishing a new brand with the franchises characters ETC could allow them to break the game design conventions but still cash in on the licenses they hold.