Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Rocksmith

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:57 pm

google it. youtube it. it's out there.

any guitar players out there? bass-heads?

So i've owned my bass guitar for years and couldn't play a chord if you put a gun to my head... now upon seeing this new game that doesn't utilize 4 colored plastic buttons, but rather allowing you to plug in your own guitar into the midi-2-usb thinger and the onscreen gui for the frets/notes/etc... is mind droppingly jawsome...

so anyone have this? seen it? played it? anyone gunna get it?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Rocksmith

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Ars reviewed it a few days ago.

I think I am gonna pass until they release the sequel (assuming there is one).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

VILLAIN_xx
Gerbil

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:05 am

Oh, i hope that lag issue was just him and his Xbox 360. That would be the first review and complaint where i saw the lag was a problem. I just saw this game the other day and been debating to get Rocksmith or not.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Before you ever get to the audio output over HDMI issue, USB is always going to have a few milliseconds of lag. It's bad enough that pro audio hardware that plugs into USB splits the analog signal prior to conversion to digital and can send it back to the outputs for what they call "zero latency" monitoring. If you could mute your guitar in-game and instead listen to your guitar I see it working very well.

I mean, this HDMI audio lag thing is nothing new. The Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have always and forever had delay compensation built in. The difference, I suppose, is that this game is going to be trying to play back what you play rather than playing back what was previously recorded if you pressed the right buttons.

I'd probably want to play it with the guitar going to my practice amp, which has another line-level mono output for connecting to a mixer - or the audio device included with the game. And then mute the in-game playback of my guitar.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:04 pm

I am hoping one of my friends gets it first so I can see how it is. I really hope they cater to experienced players and not just beginners. I wouldn't mind learning a whole game's worth of new songs.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

VILLAIN_xx
Gerbil

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:40 pm

I now own the game for a few days on the PS3. I played for a solid 4 hours on the first night and my gf was having fun watch me play and progress. It starts off painfully easy for the beginning of a new song, but when it detects you're playing smoothly it ups the degree of difficulty VERY smoothly and intuitively. Then when you come back to play the song again, it does remember the difficulty where you left off.

I didn't notice any painful lagging at all when i strike a note or chord compared to that Xbox 360 review. Although I did have a hiccup in frames a few rare times, but it didnt get in the way of playing the songs. If anything the game is quite forgiving when you strike a note a half second sooner, but again its not lag. You eventually start correcting your self to the timing of the song and you get quite good pretty fast.

The only thing i hate the most, is having to tune the guitar before every song. I figure for the game to detect you're playing the note correctly and insuring youre learning/enjoying the game, it ALWAYS needs to be tuned properly in case some of the musicians have a very bad instrument. :wink:

Kraft75
Gerbil

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:42 pm

I love this game! I've owned it for a couple of weeks now, but only about 3-4 hours in. Busy with work, life, and Skyrim, but I plan on savoring this game and taking my time with it.

I haven't noticed any lag issue but that's because I use the recommended ANALOG AUDIO recommendation. They clearly spell it out in the manual, and also a splash screen when you boot up the game, that you should use an analog audio connection. Any self-respecting guitar player should nod and understand the reason for this. You're using an actual guitar that's getting post-processing through software, so to minimize any lag you need to connect the sound the way it's going to get there the fastest way and back to your ears. Also disable any post-processing on your TV set, my Samsung has a 'Game' mode that disables any post-processing on the image, some people don't think about doing that. There's also a tool in the options of the game where you can manually play with a milliseconds meter to try to adjust any lag that way too. If you suffer from lag and complain about it's because you're lazy, seriously lol.

I got into Guitar Hero II, then III, then Rock Band 2, and then I got saturated just like the market... I'm a guitar player, I liked those games but eventually I got bored of them. Rocksmith is a breath of fresh air! I love it! You play the game, using your guitar(s)! :D Friggin' Awesome! It's a game, but it's also a learning tool. The progression of the game is well done, it suggests things to do or lessons to learn, or gigs to do but you don't have to follow that path. You can just go play and practice that song you like, or play the arcade mini-games, whatever you want when you want. The difficulty of the game seems totally dynamic, and it gets adjusted on-the-fly during songs as well. The game learns pretty fast and adjusts to your guitar level playing skill. At first I playing 'one-note' songs but the game ramped-up the difficulty quickly enough where it's teaching me the actual guitar parts of the songs I play. Wow!

My friends and I are having a great time with this game, but we're also guitar players. I'm not sure this game is for everyone, but the ones that like it, like it ALOT! Definitely try it guys, if you can. :)

Kraft75

PS. I own it on the PS3...

veronicaZora
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:53 am

If you like to play guitar than this is the perfect game for you. Rocksmith is very different type of game in this game technology works very well. There are many helpful tools for beginners. Terrific songs and graphic. Rocksmith goes above and beyond to offer you so many different ways to learn new guitar tricks and improve your ability is outstanding.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:04 pm

Problem I have is that I don't own a 6-string guitar.. I have a 4-string BASS guitar.... And not sure if rocksmith yet supports this. Anyone?